Desktop Computers

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you only do gaming, intel is still competitive. There is very little point in going beyond the i5 range though, more cores won't do anything for you there. No point in getting an expensive CPU when you can get equivalent gaming performance out of a sub $200 10400F. Even an i3-10320 comes within 5% of the FPS of some of these $400+ CPUs at 1080p. Zero difference at 4k, all GPU bound there. I'd say go cheap on CPU and splurge on GPU, moving up a tier in GPU is a better use of your money.

Argarth

On the verandah
If you only do gaming, intel is still competitive. There is very little point in going beyond the i5 range though, more cores won't do anything for you there. No point in getting an expensive CPU when you can get equivalent gaming performance out of a sub $200 10400F. Even an i3-10320 comes within 5% of the FPS of some of these $400+ CPUs at 1080p. Zero difference at 4k, all GPU bound there. I'd say go cheap on CPU and splurge on GPU, moving up a tier in GPU is a better use of your money.

That's not a good review for someone thinking of building a new system like R Ratama . It was tested on a Z490 MB and that's a waste of money for a locked CPU. An appropriately priced MB would limit it to 2666 Mhz memory, no upgrade path, and then it won't perform as well as an equivalently priced Ryzen, even in gaming.

He should check the Hardware Unboxed or Gamer's Nexus reviews instead for this and other similar CPUs.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I found an open box B550 Aorus master for $223 at microcenter, I have it reserved and im about 99% set on it after the things i've seen about it. The main downsides are no internal usb c connections, and if you run more than 1 m.2 drive in the dedicated slots it will kick you down to 8x lanes for your gpu, which I only plan to run 1 m.2 anyways so that doesn't affect me at all.

Still looking into RAM, I was looking at the set you linked Xexx Xexx , and I also see G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB - Newegg.com for a little cheaper and its not on back order. I'm not in a big rush either way though.

I was looking at psu's, I know I want at least 850 for future GPU's. I am leaning towards just going with this and calling it a day unless someone recommends a better route, Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt 80 Plus Platinum - Micro Center

Here's my other dilemma. I was just about set on putting my PC on a shelf behind the wall my desk is against and running the cables through just below the desk really cleanly, so you can see anything at all and having my desk fully open and no fan sounds at all... Then I wouldn't really have to spend a lot of money on a really high end nice case... But now i'm starting to think about going all in and acrylic hard line custom loop water cooling the damn thing... I don't know if I want to spend the time and money, and the maintenance involved though.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's not a good review for someone thinking of building a new system like R Ratama . It was tested on a Z490 MB and that's a waste of money for a locked CPU. An appropriately priced MB would limit it to 2666 Mhz memory, no upgrade path, and then it won't perform as well as an equivalently priced Ryzen, even in gaming.

He should check the Hardware Unboxed or Gamer's Nexus reviews instead for this and other similar CPUs.

Gamersnexus says exactly what I did: Intel is competive for gaming, and don't overspend on the CPU, spend money on GPU instead. Intel 10600K is their mainstream gaming pick. They have the 3300X as their budget pick, with intel for max fps gaming or slightly higher budgets. 10400 tied with 3700x for FPS.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I found an open box B550 Aorus master for $223 at microcenter, I have it reserved and im about 99% set on it after the things i've seen about it. The main downsides are no internal usb c connections, and if you run more than 1 m.2 drive in the dedicated slots it will kick you down to 8x lanes for your gpu, which I only plan to run 1 m.2 anyways so that doesn't affect me at all.

Still looking into RAM, I was looking at the set you linked Xexx Xexx , and I also see G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB - Newegg.com for a little cheaper and its not on back order. I'm not in a big rush either way though.

I was looking at psu's, I know I want at least 850 for future GPU's. I am leaning towards just going with this and calling it a day unless someone recommends a better route, Corsair AX1200i 1200 Watt 80 Plus Platinum - Micro Center

Here's my other dilemma. I was just about set on putting my PC on a shelf behind the wall my desk is against and running the cables through just below the desk really cleanly, so you can see anything at all and having my desk fully open and no fan sounds at all... Then I wouldn't really have to spend a lot of money on a really high end nice case... But now i'm starting to think about going all in and acrylic hard line custom loop water cooling the damn thing... I don't know if I want to spend the time and money, and the maintenance involved though.

The Asus Thor 1200 is just as good, has more pizzazz and for some reason is cheaper than that PSU

Argarth

On the verandah
Gamersnexus says exactly what I did: Intel is competive for gaming, and don't overspend on the CPU, spend money on GPU instead. Intel 10600K is their mainstream gaming pick. They have the 3300X as their budget pick, with intel for max fps gaming or slightly higher budgets. 10400 tied with 3700x for FPS.

I had issue with the techpowerup 10400 CPU review you linked, that's all. I had nothing to say about your other comments, so don't know why you bring them up again.

Re the 10400, please look again. In that GN Roundup article, there's a link to their video review, which incidentally is titled "Do Not Buy: Intel i5-10400 CPU Review & Benchmarks vs..." where it's all explained in great detail, including why they tested it with 2666 memory as well (also in the chart). At the bottom of that same article, the 10400 is in a two horse race with another Intel CPU for the "Biggest Disappointment" title. That made me chuckle. Not sure what you're driving at really.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had issue with the techpowerup 10400 CPU review you linked, that's all. I had nothing to say about your other comments, so don't know why you bring them up again.

Re the 10400, please look again. In that GN Roundup article, there's a link to their video review, which incidentally is titled "Do Not Buy: Intel i5-10400 CPU Review & Benchmarks vs..." where it's all explained in great detail, including why they tested it with 2666 memory as well (also in the chart). At the bottom of that same article, the 10400 is in a two horse race with another Intel CPU for the "Biggest Disappointment" title. That made me chuckle. Not sure what you're driving at really.

Wasn't really about the 10400 specifically, I was mostly responding to the Xexx post above my first one saying Intel is a poor choice. No worries.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The Asus Thor 1200 is just as good, has more pizzazz and for some reason is cheaper than that PSU

I KNOW this is a dumb question Xexx Xexx . Does a 1200 watt PS raise your electric bill substantially? Or does your PC just draw what it needs?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Meh with 3090 potential 400w power draw, not sure i want to take it easy at 850w myself. 10k series cpu's draw up to 300w themselves too. Dont want to keep efficiency around 60%?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Fuck I really don't want to buy a new PSU. Well the whole rewiring is the thing. PITA with this case.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I KNOW this is a dumb question Xexx Xexx . Does a 1200 watt PS raise your electric bill substantially? Or does your PC just draw what it needs?
Not substantially, but a larger power supply is going to have a higher "sweet spot" where it runs most efficiently. So yeah it'll draw more power when idle than a smaller PSU, but it should be a marginal amount.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Fuck I really don't want to buy a new PSU. Well the whole rewiring is the thing. PITA with this case.

I don’t want to buy a new UPS. My old one died to lightning and grabbed a cheapo from Home Depot that barely keeps up with my 980TI while gaming.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Customer of mine offered a brand new Intel 9700F that was on a prebuilt that they salvaged. Never been used. I know it can't be overclocked and has no GPU. I don't normally overclock and the lack of a GPU really wouldn't matter. Any other drawbacks. I don't even think it was the for the company. Owner is a big ideas guy that has been big into computers since he had a BBS and such. I think he bought several of them to pull parts out of for something else. Who knows.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
So I was pretty much set on a 3700x or the next amd 4600/4700x if they manage to release before cyberpunk. I am now considering the 10700 (not K) instead. I am reading you can remove the 65W power limit in the bios which essentially overclocks it and turns it into a 10700k. It is only 30 bucks or so higher than the 3700x.

I haven't seen a reputable video on doing this though. This all came about when I was seeing the 10600k average about 5-8% higher fps than the 3700x already.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea? I am a bit concerned about lack of pci4 support. Some Z490 deals in the range of B550s now. I don't do any workload stuff on my pc. I am not sure I can hold out for new Ryzen if cyberpunk comes out first.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So I was pretty much set on a 3700x or the next amd 4600/4700x if they manage to release before cyberpunk. I am now considering the 10700 (not K) instead. I am reading you can remove the 65W power limit in the bios which essentially overclocks it and turns it into a 10700k. It is only 30 bucks or so higher than the 3700x.

I haven't seen a reputable video on doing this though. This all came about when I was seeing the 10600k average about 5-8% higher fps than the 3700x already.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea? I am a bit concerned about lack of pci4 support. Some Z490 deals in the range of B550s now. I don't do any workload stuff on my pc. I am not sure I can hold out for new Ryzen if cyberpunk comes out first.
What do you mean "remove the 65w power limit"? TDP is more a measure of the heat a CPU can generate, not an actual measure of the power it uses. BIOS can easily increase the voltage to a CPU, but with the locked multiplier on 10700, there is no reason to.

edit: I looked into this a bit. Kind of interested but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just pony up the extra $40 for the K series if you are interested in getting the most of our your chip.

Last edited by a moderator:

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
A hacked 10700 wouldn't match a 10600k's fps- so why would you want to pay more for it?

I am thinking the extra 2 cores will make a difference soon with 8c being the target in ps5/Xbox. I tend to keep my pc for about 5 years and not upgrade much.

What do you mean "remove the 65w power limit"? TDP is more a measure of the heat a CPU can generate, not an actual measure of the power it uses. BIOS can easily increase the voltage to a CPU, but with the locked multiplier on 10700, there is no reason to.

edit: I looked into this a bit. Kind of interested but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just pony up the extra $40 for the K series if you are interested in getting the most of our your chip.

The article I was looking at had performance gains up to 30% by unlocking the 65W limit. I know that is best case scenario but that is still pretty great results.

I was never really interested in the 10700k over the 3700x since it is 120 bucks higher, didn't seem worth it. 30 bucks diff seemed much more reasonable for the few % gains.

I am probably just getting impatient because I have a new case/drive/ram sitting here waiting on the 3070 or 80 to release and want to buy my mobo/CPU so I can play with it now.