Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've stopped being a horder and thinking "maybe i'll build this computer again..."

goodby 2x 6800 gts video cards

goodbye asus a8n sli motherboard with southbridge linked northbridge heatpipes

goodbye old computer cases with top mounted psu

i still have a bag of memory tho, eh memory is light

goodbye coolermaster gemini 2, jesus christ
base2-800.jpg

• 2Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Any badass mother board recommendations for a Ryzen 5950X ?

I'm thinking of the Asus tuf gaming X570 plus, but any other recommendations?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

I spent a good chunk on motherboard this time. For me, features I wouldn't want to live without are dual bios that lets you flash it without anything in the board. This makes it a lot easier/less complicated with Ryzen. The other thing is a display on the board for bios error codes, trouble shooting so much easier.

The rest is all really just about what features you need.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I spent a good chunk on motherboard this time. For me, features I wouldn't want to live without are dual bios that lets you flash it without anything in the board. This makes it a lot easier/less complicated with Ryzen. The other thing is a display on the board for bios error codes, trouble shooting so much easier.

The rest is all really just about what features you need.

This is one reason I kinda dislike the Ryzen thing. Why do I have to flash the bios on a brand new fucking board? This shit should come with the latest and greatest. Why didnt Intel ever have issues with bios and their chips? I can understand flashing a board thats like a generation old for a new chip, thats fine and understandable. But when I buy a 570 chipset, which is the latest, along with the latest CPU, the shit should just work out of the box.

I dont think I ever flashed a bios on any Intel system I built in the last 15-20 yrs. The shit just worked.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This is one reason I kinda dislike the Ryzen thing. Why do I have to flash the bios on a brand new fucking board? This shit should come with the latest and greatest. Why didnt Intel ever have issues with bios and their chips? I can understand flashing a board thats like a generation old for a new chip, thats fine and understandable. But when I buy a 570 chipset, which is the latest, along with the latest CPU, the shit should just work out of the box.
I mean, it's kind of the same thing. x570 came out before the latest Ryzen chips, their wasn't a new chipset with them.

Jovec

?
x570 was out about 16 months before Ryzen 5000.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ok and now if I buy a x570 its 16 months old? I doubt it. Maybe they should not do this then, lol. Its stupid and makes people do unecessary BS to get their shit running. How bout releasing a new chipset along with a new chip next time.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm I bought a 3700x and a x570 and it worked just like the intel builds I did before that. Or is this only a problem on the 5000 series chips?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Ok and now if I buy a x570 its 16 months old? I doubt it. Maybe they should not do this then, lol. Its stupid and makes people do unecessary BS to get their shit running. How bout releasing a new chipset along with a new chip next time.

Hmm I bought a 3700x and a x570 and it worked just like the intel builds I did before that. Or is this only a problem on the 5000 series chips?
It's only a 5000 series problem on x570.

With my board it was insanely easy. Go to website, download bios, put on flash drive and change one file name. Take new motherboard out of box, power it up with literally nothing plugged in except power and flash drive, it takes like 5 minutes to flash bios and powers down. Then you're good to build as normal. The process has gotten way better over the years, because they want to give people the option to upgrade processor without having to upgrade everything else along with it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

With my board it was insanely easy. Go to website, download bios, put on flash drive and change one file name. Take new motherboard out of box, power it up with literally nothing plugged in except power and flash drive, it takes like 5 minutes to flash bios and powers down. Then you're good to build as normal. The process has gotten way better over the years, because they want to give people the option to upgrade processor without having to upgrade everything else along with it.
yea this is a good thing now, a few years back AMD and bios was so fucked up that AMD would send you a donor cpu, just so that you can flash your board, lulz

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

I use MEG ACE - id likely use a Tomahawk otherwise

Think its time for me to try and ITX build - need to see how the landscape is 6 months from now. Thinking 5600x and 6800xt, but we're just 14 months or so from DDR5 being on consumer boards

I dont think I ever flashed a bios on any Intel system I built in the last 15-20 yrs. The shit just worked.

Nothing positive there since intel forced you to buy a new board with each cpu - you're doing yourself a disservice making this sound like a good thing where as Ryzen allowed you to keep using the same board just flashing bios to work. Furthermore most x570 boards now will tell you if they come with support for the new chips, you think they'd send them back to the manufacturer to get new bios? Top end boards and some mid range boards allow you to flash without even having a cpu as well.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
They do it because a small minority of vocal dipshits want to save $150 on a motherboard by having forwards compatibility with a future CPU on their existing board. So it introduces this complexity of one chipset/socket being designed to accommodate several generations of CPUs and having multiple generations of BIOSes required if boards have been sitting in distributors for awhile. You can run a Ryzen 5000 on a 400 series AMD chipset and those are from 2018.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

This is exactly what I did with my 5600X. Easy, no issues, bios flashed while I was getting everything else out of their boxes and set up.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They do it because a small minority of vocal dipshits want to save $150 on a motherboard by having forwards compatibility with a future CPU on their existing board. So it introduces this complexity of one chipset/socket being designed to accommodate several generations of CPUs and having multiple generations of BIOSes required if boards have been sitting in distributors for awhile. You can run a Ryzen 5000 on a 400 series AMD chipset and those are from 2018.
Except those faggots buy the Ultra Extreme Platinum PRO 9000 Gaming series for $450.

Soljourn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any glaring issues with these selections? Need a new MB, CPU, Memory and Case combo. Am good with my Video Card and have a new power supply.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.62 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.54 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($291.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($174.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $917.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-19 22:17 EDT-0400

Thanks for your help!