Desktop Computers

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I am going to do a full write up of my experience this weekend. I learned a ton and am overall happy with my results on building the smallest/quietest gaming rig possible, but there are several things I learned that might help anyone considering doing a similar build. It is amazing what you learn the first time you try something. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to try
biggrin.png

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Building my own system would also be an option. I've managed to decipher the Nvidia model number patterns.

Can someone explain the AMD cpu format, eg what models are available, what's newer, what chipset to go for etc

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Building my own system would also be an option. I've managed to decipher the Nvidia model number patterns.

Can someone explain the AMD cpu format, eg what models are available, what's newer, what chipset to go for etc
AMD CPUs are just not an option, so don't bother.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Are AMD chips really THAT bad these days? I haven't had one in years, just curious.
Theyre not unusable, but coming from a pretty stout fx8150 8 core amd system to a haswell, the difference is lightyears. I thought everyone was paid by intel on the internet to say how much better it was. But I was tired of the stuttering in my games, sold my amd stuff and bought into intel. It was a good decision.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
AMD is bad. The ram is overpriced, and you don'y need 16gb. The power supply is garbage. For the price of that case I'd get an Antec 300 V2. And that SSD is mediocre at best, you can get Samsung 830/840's with 120gb for that price on sale.

Here you go. If you want spend some more on the mobo. This is a solid build with future potential by upgrading to 16gb of ram, and upgrading the graphics.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1xRax

Note: I only chose that CPU due to combo with the SSD.

It's also all from Newegg so instead of tons of seperate orders you can buy it all at once. You're Welcome.
smile.png
Kind of an expensive PSU, no?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
That power supply is way overkill for that computer. A 450w would be more than enough.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are AMD chips really THAT bad these days? I haven't had one in years, just curious.
The problem with AMD is that they are significantly inferior for gaming, and there isn't an insane price difference between AMD and Intel. Now, if your average intel i5 3570K was like $500 or something, then AMD would be a viable option based on the money difference, the performance hit might be worth it to some people, but when you're comparing Intel vs AMD and you may only save $50 or less by going with AMD, that is definitely not worth the severe performance hit in my opinion.

Fadaar

That guy
Ahh I see. I know a long time ago (2005 timeframe when I built my first PC 100% myself) Intel was far more expensive and AMD really was worth it for the budget gaming computer.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, the massive price gap really isn't there anymore, so theres not much point in sacrificing a lot of performance for a little money in most cases.

Back around 08 or so when i7 processors first hit the market, I built a PC for a friend with a top of the line i7 processor(920 maybe?) and it was like $400 just for the processor. I built an AMD system shortly thereafter and paid like $140 for my processor that was a little bit slower. That kind of price difference can justify a decision one way or the other. But nowadays if you're talking about an intel i5 for $170 or an 8-core AMD for $130, that's not enough price difference to justify going with the inferior product, imho.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
So, I just ended up with a free Kingston 128gb SSDnow. The Internet says its not a great SSD, but I'm going to assume its still a huge improvement over my current 7200rpm mechanical drive?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, definitely better than no SSD at all. Won't be quite as fast as the top of the line SSDs, but still way better than a mechanical drive

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It's so...red. I sleep in the same room as my pc so for me it'd be like Kramer and the Red Planet.

rrr_img_42191.jpg

Sulrn

Deuces
Looking at doing a mid level/budget gaming pc soon. Thinking i5 / GTX 670 then playing around from there. This is going to be a completely new build so no harvesting from prior PCs, but I wanted to know what pieces you would splurge on vs go price shopping on.

I know everyone is encouraging the SSD, but anything else? 8 vs 16 gigs ?

Mire_sl

shitlord
It's so...red. I sleep in the same room as my pc so for me it'd be like Kramer and the Red Planet.
Ya it's red alright...but the first pic is the system on with the lights on. The middle 2 are with the lights off. Since I have my PC in my living room and not by bedroom, Kenny Rogers Roasters is free to glow in all its glory.