Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd love to see an AMD card that outperforms the 770 for about $300... If they can pull that off I'm buying one the second it comes out. Cant wait to see what the rest of their R9 generation cards look like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
from the looks of it ($599 beating out Nvidias $999 monster) Id say the future looks good for the mid range cards.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I've been burned too many times by ati, but I havent had one since AMD got them. Are the drivers still crashing all the time? I guess thats not really fair, geforce experience crashed all the time too. So hmmm. If ati can get digital vibrance I will probably switch. LAst 4 cards have been nvidia i should probably check out another company.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
IMHO, Nvidia and ATI/AMD are on fairly even ground as far as drivers and support go. When it's time for me to upgrade, I just grab whatever card is the best for the budget I'm willing to spend. I've gone back and forth many times, I've had crossfired cards, I've had SLI'd cards, etc. If I've ever experienced a serious glitch/crash it's usually with a brand new release game and it quickly gets fixed with a driver update. I've never had any serious problems or concerns with either one of them (other than being generally underwhelmed with crossfire/SLI performance in the past, I stick to single cards now)

It isn't and Intel/AMD CPU type situation where one company is so dominantly ahead of the other that there is only 1 choice for 99% of users. Both companies cards have their pros and cons, some games run faster on ATI, some run faster on Nvidia, but over time it's pretty much a wash, unless you only play 1 game for years at a time, then you might want to research which card runs that game better.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
IMHO, Nvidia and ATI/AMD are on fairly even ground as far as drivers and support go. When it's time for me to upgrade, I just grab whatever card is the best for the budget I'm willing to spend. I've gone back and forth many times, I've had crossfired cards, I've had SLI'd cards, etc. If I've ever experienced a serious glitch/crash it's usually with a brand new release game and it quickly gets fixed with a driver update. I've never had any serious problems or concerns with either one of them (other than being generally underwhelmed with crossfire/SLI performance in the past, I stick to single cards now)

It isn't and Intel/AMD CPU type situation where one company is so dominantly ahead of the other that there is only 1 choice for 99% of users. Both companies cards have their pros and cons, some games run faster on ATI, some run faster on Nvidia, but over time it's pretty much a wash, unless you only play 1 game for years at a time, then you might want to research which card runs that game better.
This is mostly true unless you like to neckbeard (Linux). AMD drivers are mostly steaming shit on that end.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Monitor question. I've been looking at these 120-144hz, 1ms monitors. I can see how in bf3-4 the extra frames might mean better twitch. Does any of that translate to MMO raiding. Like would you maybe see ground effects more quickly and be able to respond?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is mostly true unless you like to neckbeard (Linux). AMD drivers are mostly steaming shit on that end.
My last ATI cards were probably 4 years ago or so. I tried to Crossfire a pair of new cards and the driver support was just terrible (Windows XP at the time). I ended up selling them and have purchased nVidia ever since. I still read ATi driver issues from time to time and its enough for me to really not want to give them another shot unless they came out with a really dominant card.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, if you're running an OS that old, you're going to probably run into driver issues with new hardware. Even 4 years ago, Win XP was like 8+ years old.

I had crossfired ATI cards up until about a year ago, and had no problems(other than some games just not supporting crossfire), and now I have an Nvidia card with no issues. If the rest of your PC is up to date, I can't imagine either companies cards having any significant issues on Win 7/8.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't say "significant" issues with Nvidia and SLI on Win7/8, but I still think their recent drivers have been trash (that is 314.22 and onward). It is either that or one of / both of my 670 FTWs have serious issues. Driver constantly crashes and I'm still battling the problem of the driver becoming randomly corrupted and not detecting monitors. Just all around frustrations. Probably should have tried to RMA them as soon as I built the computer last year when they would crash with the slightest overclock. It has just never felt stable, even now on a fresh install with nothing but Win7 and stuff from ninite.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't say "significant" issues with Nvidia and SLI on Win7/8, but I still think their recent drivers have been trash (that is 314.22 and onward). It is either that or one of / both of my 670 FTWs have serious issues. Driver constantly crashes and I'm still battling the problem of the driver becoming randomly corrupted and not detecting monitors. Just all around frustrations. Probably should have tried to RMA them as soon as I built the computer last year when they would crash with the slightest overclock. It has just never felt stable, even now on a fresh install with nothing but Win7 and stuff from ninite.
Is it a specific game crashing? The reason I ask is because I use Win7 and a pair of SLI 670 FTWs and have had no issues whatsoever.

Worst case, if you think the new drivers caused the issues, uninstall the driver and go back to a previous version. Simple fix.

Again, I am on current drivers and the same SLI cards and havent had so much as a hiccup.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, if you're running an OS that old, you're going to probably run into driver issues with new hardware. Even 4 years ago, Win XP was like 8+ years old.

I had crossfired ATI cards up until about a year ago, and had no problems(other than some games just not supporting crossfire), and now I have an Nvidia card with no issues. If the rest of your PC is up to date, I can't imagine either companies cards having any significant issues on Win 7/8.
My timescales could have been fucked up, but it was while Vista was in its infancy and no one really used that OS at all at the time because of (ironically enough) poor driver support. Thevastmajority of people were still on XP and the driver support was as critical as ever.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
My last ATI card was the 7770. I loved that card. Had a triple monitor setup and it ran like a dream. I have a GTX 770 now and love it, too. I guess that I like lucky 7's.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is it a specific game crashing? The reason I ask is because I use Win7 and a pair of SLI 670 FTWs and have had no issues whatsoever.

Worst case, if you think the new drivers caused the issues, uninstall the driver and go back to a previous version. Simple fix.

Again, I am on current drivers and the same SLI cards and havent had so much as a hiccup.
I think it is just a combination of things. Wracked my brain trying to get to the bottom of it. The nvidia forums seems plagued by people having problems with drivers around the 320.18 timeframe which is when all my problems started. But who knows, every driver release in the history of man has had people complaining that it broke their card.

The driver crashing thing really isn't that bad, and since I'm only really playing FFXIV now it is hard to say if it happens with multiple games. The driver corruption that that sometimes happens when windows starts (like the once in a blue moon when I reboot) is the most frustrating b/c it requires moving the cables around, getting in to safe mode, uninstalling drivers, etc...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
More Nvidia Titan vs AMD R9 290x benchmarks

Radeon R9 290X Clock Speeds Surface, Benchmarked | techPowerUp

Basically looks like some graphics engines still slightly favor the Titan, while some slightly favor the 290X, so it's a wash performance-wise. Price however, makes a HUGE difference. The Titan is still MSRP at $999, the 290X is $599. I can't see any reason to ever buy a Titan, or a 780 for that matter, 780s are still MSRP $650, and significantly slower than a 290X

However, rumour circulating around Nvidia that we will see significant price drops, and possibly new cards by Black Friday(November)
Rumor: Nvidia may cut prices, release new cards in November - The Tech Report

Bottom line is, this is great for the consumer. If I was anyone considering buying a graphics card right now, I think I'd wait a month and see how these price/performance wars shake out. You might be able to get a lot more card for your money next month than you can now, even on low to mid-range cards, not just these high-end ones.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
In processor benchmark news:

Battlefield 4 (Frostbite 3 engine) can legitimately use up to 8 cores...AMD processors pulling closer to Intel on gaming benchmarks on this engine

Battlefield 4 PC Beta benchmarks hint at brighter prospects for AMD CPUs | GearNuke
battlefield4-beta-7.jpg

Silence_sl

shitlord
Can anyone recommend a really good $175-250 overclocking Asus or Gigabyte board for a 4570k? I'm only looking for 4.2-4 GHz, so nothing super serious needed.

I've got a 3570k now, with some MSI pos, and the MSI board is just full of bugs. I'm tired of the whole lot and just going to go to Samsung 256gb Pro/ 4570K + new mainboard + Win8.1.