Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Ok so I'm getting a budget from work to build my own PC, probably around 3k. I like to assemble my own PC so I was browsing newegg.

Do anyone has any suggestions for a ~3k build?

It needs to have 32-64 GB ram, at last 1TB ssd M2, 12th generation intel. I always loves asus motherboard, so i was thinking a Roue HEro Maximus as teh base and take it from there.

Any suggestions?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ok so I'm getting a budget from work to build my own PC, probably around 3k. I like to assemble my own PC so I was browsing newegg.

Do anyone has any suggestions for a ~3k build?

It needs to have 32-64 GB ram, at last 1TB ssd M2, 12th generation intel. I always loves asus motherboard, so i was thinking a Roue HEro Maximus as teh base and take it from there.

Any suggestions?

3090 local used non-miner
64gb ddr5 5200
Whatever mobo floats your boat
WD SN770 1TB game drive
XPG Blade 1TB Boot

Everything else is whatever - can go diff gpu route also but you can find non miners throwing 3090s at people to chase the next great thing 3 months away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well ive had my AIO for a year and change now and no issue. Cooler Master. My kid has had his for like 2.5 yrs pretty much 24/7 and no issue. So IDK where people getting this shit that AIO is bad, lol. They are also cleaner looking, dont impede the flow in your case like a big honkin air cooled monstrosity sitting right on your proc. And by all accounts they cool better, especially the bigger the radiator is. I was all fan of air cooling before, but now? Fuck that gay shit, ill go AIO. And if this one breaks, Ill go AIO again, lol.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well ive had my AIO for a year and change now and no issue. Cooler Master. My kid has had his for like 2.5 yrs pretty much 24/7 and no issue. So IDK where people getting this shit that AIO is bad, lol. They are also cleaner looking, dont impede the flow in your case like a big honkin air cooled monstrosity sitting right on your proc. And by all accounts they cool better, especially the bigger the radiator is. I was all fan of air cooling before, but now? Fuck that gay shit, ill go AIO. And if this one breaks, Ill go AIO again, lol.
Yeah, my Lian-Li Galahad took a shit after a little under a year, but I still went with another AIO. I'd love to go with air, but goddamn are they fucking ugly now that CPUs are such beasts.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
going with this line up.

1659711282088.png

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

I've never had an issue with an AIO in my years of using them also. Not sure where the AIO is going to break down on you started.

• 1Solidarity

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
No video card? I'd probably get a 1000 watt power supply assuming you are putting a video card in it as well
l'm going to wait until around November as the new 4000 series is rumored to be out by then. Ill probably take my current 1660 TI until I make a final choice by end of this year.
Since the only games I play are EQ, anno 1800 and Magic Arena, ill be ok.

The video cards prices are very volatile right now.

You were right as soon as i added a video card, it went to 904 wats. ill use a 1200 w power source instead.

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
l'm going to wait until around November as the new 4000 series is rumored to be out by then. Ill probably take my current 1660 TI until I make a final choice by end of this year.
Since the only games I play are EQ, anno 1800 and Magic Arena, ill be ok.

The video cards prices are very volatile right now.

You were right as soon as i added a video card, it went to 904 wats. ill use a 1200 w power source instead.
Yeah, if you are planning on 4000 series I'd get 1200 at least, because rumors on power draw are insane.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, if you are planning on 4000 series I'd get 1200 at least, because rumors on power draw are insane.
1200 is nuts. Even if the power draw on these GPUs is 450w then 1000w is fine, considering 750w runs a 320w TDP card just fine...

Unless you're doing something absurd, a good 1000W should be all you need. Exception would be a 450W TDP card, plus a 250W+ CPU, and overclocking both.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's mainly the transient spikes that are requiring the headroom.
Handling the transient spikes has way more to do with the quality of the PSU than the capacity.

A good 850W PSU is going to handle transient spikes better than a generic 1000W PSU.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Handling the transient spikes has way more to do with the quality of the PSU than the capacity.

A good 850W PSU is going to handle transient spikes better than a generic 1000W PSU.

It has to do with the OCP limit for the specific PSU. It's often not consistent within brands and even models. Doesn't help transient spikes are extremely inconsistent, either.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
It has to do with the OCP limit for the specific PSU. It's often not consistent within brands and even models. Doesn't help transient spikes are extremely inconsistent, either.
looks like hardocp dot com died hardforum is still up

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Hey pals, been a few years (nearly 10 lol) since I've built a completely new PC. I don't follow hardware much at all anymore. As a result I'm not really sure what sources for benchmarks/charts is good these days. Anyone use a site like pcpartpicket to make a base build or anything similar?

I'll likely take a week or two to try to read up and get a general idea of where things are right now price/performance wise, but is something like the below a reasonable starting point? Less than an hour into seriously considering this so haven't put much effort in.

Guidance/suggestions are appreciated. Will read back through last few pages as well.

1660342589967.png