Desktop Computers

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You really need to clarify details like that at the start. Go wild, why only 1TB drives? Get 2TB

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You really need to clarify details like that at the start. Go wild, why only 1TB drives? Get 2TB
I mean i did.. but it was 3 weeks ago.
1661197513255.png

It tooka while for it to get it approved.

I did 2 hdd of 1 TB each so i can have a separate one for the Databases and large items.

And EQ...

Daidraco

If I had more time, I'd google a mexican RBG PC build to compliment your components. /s

I assign my property agents with their own laptop. Not only so they can run the software I purchase, but for security/legal reasons too. If I gave someone 3k to purchase a laptop of their choosing, I would surely expect them to get a laptop. Much less if they leave the company for any particular reason - I would want it back. Does your boss just not give a shit about the expense? Granted my company only has 7 full time employees, so a lot smaller probably.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I cant stand lap tops either. We have nice ones too 17 in dells like $3.5K, but man, fuck that shit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Were in a larger company, maybe like 200 peeps here in MI, worldwide must be tens of thousands. Since we have operations in Mexico, Japan, Many Europe countries too. But they gave me a workstation for home and when we went back to work a few days a week, they also gave me one for work too. Its an older one but still does the job. I honestly dont even know if they keep track of this shit either since our CAD IT dude left in the spring, lol.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
If I had more time, I'd google a mexican RBG PC build to compliment your components. /s

I assign my property agents with their own laptop. Not only so they can run the software I purchase, but for security/legal reasons too. If I gave someone 3k to purchase a laptop of their choosing, I would surely expect them to get a laptop. Much less if they leave the company for any particular reason - I would want it back. Does your boss just not give a shit about the expense? Granted my company only has 7 full time employees, so a lot smaller probably.

For me, performance is king. My current work desktop is 7 years old, when I started with the company I was the 2nd developer of the company(27th employee), now we are an over 200 employee international company and our dev team is around 15 developers.
I have never upgraded my station in 7 years, instead in 2019 when I went to WFH schedule, I started using my personal pc, because it was just easier and it was a more beefier. Every other year I would upgrade something, but not a lot.
That home pc died this weekened. So before it died I started the conversation to replace it for a work computer since I have been using my own equipment unreimbursed for 3 years now. So went it died it forced my hand and I went and bought the new one.
To be frank it did bother me that there was some friction into getting them to understand that 3k spent on a laptop is the same as 3k spent on a desktop.
Just because the motherboard says gaming on it, does not make it special, is just a marketing term meaning high performance.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
You'll have to be specific on the case. According to the specs you'll need 165mm clearance from the motherboard.

Edit: Shit, they even have a case compatibility checker.
I just found the specs on my case, and no it won't fit the D15. I'm just gonna buy a full tower and call it good forever. Not sure why I even bought a mid tower last time.

As someone who doesn't care about ray tracing at all, is it a better deal to buy say a 6900 XT? It seems like they are cheaper, I'm assuming because they don't support ray tracing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jovec

?
Well, if anyone bough an Arctic Liquid Freezer II from 5/21 to 3/22, the cold plate gasket may not have been vulcanized properly and start degrading. You can get a replacement kit or send it in for a repair. I'll be ordering a repair kit for my 360 as it's one of the affected units.

Thanks. Just did mine. Turns out my LFII 360 fell into the effected period. Form just asked for model, purchase country, and purchase date - but no proof of purchase needed. Then it just asked for shipping info. Very simple from Arctic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks. Just did mine. Turns out my LFII 360 fell into the effected period. Form just asked for model, purchase country, and purchase date - but no proof of purchase needed. Then it just asked for shipping info. Very simple from Arctic.

They only ask for proof of purchase and other info if you want to send it in for repair.

This is definitely the right way to do things, especially for a relatively simple repair. Acknowledge the problem and make it easy to fix. Hell, they might come out of this with a better reputation, at least among people who pay attention to this kind of thing.

Jovec

?
Talk me into (or out of) a new GPU. I was looking at a 6950xt, but I am a bit scared of the power draw. Nitro+ Pure is peaking around 370w stock and 500w OC. Currently using a 860w Seasonic in this system and I do not want to spend for another PSU right now until I see how next gen CPUs, GPUs, and ATX 3.0 spec shake out. I have not heard of transient power spikes on AMD as much as NV. Will be paired with a 5950 and 64GB as a sort of "last hurrah" for AM4. Card will likely see most of its use under Linux, so the 6950xt might not be fully utilized for high-end, modern AAA titles. I've thought about the 6800XT instead and realistically I probably wouldn't know the difference in games, but 1) power draw is much less and 2) the incremental cost is about $225 and that's not too bad for getting the top SKU and extra potential longevity/resale and 3) I might go back to Windows anyway. Currently I run a Windows game rig and Linux workstation but I am thinking to consolidate.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Talk me into (or out of) a new GPU. I was looking at a 6950xt, but I am a bit scared of the power draw. Nitro+ Pure is peaking around 370w stock and 500w OC. Currently using a 860w Seasonic in this system and I do not want to spend for another PSU right now until I see how next gen CPUs, GPUs, and ATX 3.0 spec shake out. I have not heard of transient power spikes on AMD as much as NV. Will be paired with a 5950 and 64GB as a sort of "last hurrah" for AM4. Card will likely see most of its use under Linux, so the 6950xt might not be fully utilized for high-end, modern AAA titles. I've thought about the 6800XT instead and realistically I probably wouldn't know the difference in games, but 1) power draw is much less and 2) the incremental cost is about $225 and that's not too bad for getting the top SKU and extra potential longevity/resale and 3) I might go back to Windows anyway. Currently I run a Windows game rig and Linux workstation but I am thinking to consolidate.
Wait, you are willing to spend an additional $225 for a top-end GPU, but not invest into a new PSU?

Here's a pro tip: Look for one of those "PSU calculators" online. A 5950X + 6900 XT, 4 DIMMs, 1 M2 and 1 SATA Drive plus 3 fans should bring you to around 620W, so your 860W Seasonic should be able to handle that without problems.

In most cases GPU and CPU hit their power peaks at different times, so the whole system rarely hits the maximum load. Unless you are one of those Gentoo users, and you recompile your whole system while gaming. Also, the current RDNA 2 AMD GPUs are beasts when idle. Mine draws less than 25W when browsing here.

On the negative side: You should wait 1-2 weeks, as prices are expected to drop because Nvidia wants to empty their warehouse before the 4000 launch, and AMD may have to follow suit.

If the rumors are true about the next generation, your "top end" GPU may also have not much resale value. Best advice I can give you: Only buy when you need it, because most of computer stuff is obsolete in 6 months anyways.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wait, you are willing to spend an additional $225 for a top-end GPU, but not invest into a new PSU?
i think he doesn't want to buy a new psu and then atx3 comes out,

which probably won't happen imo, atx3 wants to use too much shit and only benefits high draw video cards.

Daidraco

If the rumors are true about the next generation, your "top end" GPU may also have not much resale value. Best advice I can give you: Only buy when you need it, because most of computer stuff is obsolete in 6 months anyways.
Obsolete is a bit overzealous. No longer state of the art, sure. My g/f is still back on the 20x0 series and there isnt anything that I play on my 3090 that she cant play on hers. I think the 40x0 series, if its as powerful as they say it, is only going to have a small audience that can actually take advantage of the card. Either it'll reach bottlenecks within the PC, or the average person's monitor wont be up to the task. Im really just imagining people having this huge energy sucking hambeast in their computer, playing Minecraft at 240 FPS with Ray Tracing. Never mind the fact of how cheap the 30x0 series is right now for the amount of power you get out of that series (or AMD equivalent).

Jovec

?

Here's a pro tip: Look for one of those "PSU calculators" online. A 5950X + 6900 XT, 4 DIMMs, 1 M2 and 1 SATA Drive plus 3 fans should bring you to around 620W, so your 860W Seasonic should be able to handle that without problems.

In most cases GPU and CPU hit their power peaks at different times, so the whole system rarely hits the maximum load. Unless you are one of those Gentoo users, and you recompile your whole system while gaming. Also, the current RDNA 2 AMD GPUs are beasts when idle. Mine draws less than 25W when browsing here.

On the negative side: You should wait 1-2 weeks, as prices are expected to drop because Nvidia wants to empty their warehouse before the 4000 launch, and AMD may have to follow suit.

I really do not need any of these parts, but I have some changes I want to make and hoping to keep it in budget. Wife has a mini-ITX build (3700x, 5700XT) that seems to have compatability issues between the GPU and monitor as it sometimes won't wake the monitor up from sleep. I had this same problem when I switched my workstation from NV (1660s) to AMD (6700XT) - I had to buy a new monitor to fix it. She will either get the 3070 I currently use or I can put in a 1650 Super or 1660 Super that I have sitting around. I also want to move her from the 3700X to Zen 3, so I might switch her to a 5700X or use the 5800X from my gaming rig. My two systems are a 5950/6700XT/64GB Linux workstation and 5800X/3070/32GB game system. I am thinking to either move the 5950 to my gamer and swap a 3950 I already have back into my workstation or buy a 5800X3D for my gamer and keep the 5950 in my workstation. For a new gaming GPU I am looking at the aforementioned 6950XT, 6800XT, or possibly a 6900XT or 12GB 3080. I also built a system for my nephew as a 2020 Christmas gift (3600, 1070, 16GB) and might pass down some parts (the 5800X, 6700XT, or the 3070 if wife gets the 1660s).

I think the power draw could hit higher than that with an artificial load. My 5950 hits 240-250w with power limits removed and GN has the 6950 Nitro+ Pure pulling 380w stock and 500w OC under Furmark. Add another 50-75w for the rest of the system. A realistic load should be less though with gaming at maybe 350-450w total system draw (and I can always undervolt the GPU), but I know 3090s were tripping OCP with transient spikes - if the 6950 has the same behavior then 860w PSU might not be enough.

Prices may drop some more but I do not expect them to drop all that much more, as least on halo products. I am not too worried about resale I suppose, since I had an unused 5700XT sitting around during peak mining silliness, but I currently have 4 AM4 systems that I can pass down parts to so an "obsolete" 6950XT or 6800XT will be a fine GPU for the nephew in a couple of years. Same with the 5800X/X3D 5950X, etc.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Obsolete is a bit overzealous. No longer state of the art, sure.
I was exaggerating a bit, but this is someone who is willing to buy the high end halo product, for maybe 7-10% performance increase for premium money. If you always chase the top end they ride never ends, any you could almost buy two medium cards for the same money each generation.

Wife has a mini-ITX build (3700x, 5700XT) that seems to have compatability issues between the GPU and monitor as it sometimes won't wake the monitor up from sleep.
If she is using DisplayPort, the problem is most likely a compatibility issue somewhere, either cable and/or Monitor. With DVI and HDMI the computer is initiating the connection, and just sends a constant data stream, and the Monitor just sends EDID information back about what resolutions and timings it supports.

With DisplayPort it is the other way around: It works more like a network connection, transmitting display data in packets. The Monitor itself can shut down and disable the DisplayPort connection, e.g. when it goes into powersaving mode, or turn the display off. If it's not the DisplayPort cable you can try to switch to an HDMI connection between PC and monitor and see if the problem goes away.

But I think this is irrelevant, because you are most likely looking to justify some component shuffling anyways.

Prices may drop some more but I do not expect them to drop all that much more, as least on halo products.
I expect prices to drop, especially on the higher end and halo products: Nvidia has too much 3080 and upwards stock after the crypto bust, but isn't quite ready to offload everything with rebates yet.

If the rumors are true they will start with a 4090 this year and release lower cards in 2023. This will especially lower the prices an all the 3090 and above cards, and maybe even the 3080 upwards. Bascially, all those cards that had ridiculous MSRP prices anyway. AMD will have to follow suit.

Jovec

?
If she is using DisplayPort, the problem is most likely a compatibility issue somewhere, either cable and/or Monitor. With DVI and HDMI the computer is initiating the connection, and just sends a constant data stream, and the Monitor just sends EDID information back about what resolutions and timings it supports.

With DisplayPort it is the other way around: It works more like a network connection, transmitting display data in packets. The Monitor itself can shut down and disable the DisplayPort connection, e.g. when it goes into powersaving mode, or turn the display off. If it's not the DisplayPort cable you can try to switch to an HDMI connection between PC and monitor and see if the problem goes away.

The cable is HDMI, the monitor is an older LG ultrawide (with no DP). Fix is to toggle inputs via the monitor controls - pick HDMI2 which is not connected, and the monitor will auto switch back to HMDI1 and work. Previous system was a Haswell with a 1650S with no issues. New system is the 3700X B550 with the 5700XT. Display cable is the same, and I used that 5700XT for year with my newer monitor with no issue. Similar thing with my system - worked with a 1660S, changed to a 6700XT, and had monitor wake issues.