Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Alphacool disto is making my brain hurt - trying to figure out proper flow order but maybe its lack of sleep but im just shooting blanks..

1692296562480.png

1692296494157.png

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I'm spitballing making a new rig to play some newer games.

Backstory - my PC is about 9 years old. I have an i5-4670K, 8 gig of ram, and a GTX 1080. I've got a 240gb mSata SSD.

Now, before you judge, I got divorced 5 years ago and I've been working my ass off ever since. I generally have only gamed in the winter when it's fucking stupid cold out and I can't get much done, and with wiinter on the horizon, I'm looking to maybe stop playing Civ5 and start trying out some of these new fangled games. Seeing a post a little while up with the 2TB SSD for $129 blew my mind, and I was about to order one until I saw it and realized I don't even know where it would plug in!

So, I started slapping together some parts, but clearly I have been out of the game way too long. I really wish there was an easy way to figure out what video cards and processors were better than others, but I have literally no clue. So, I started with a budget of $1000, and lets go from there.

Do you guys see any glaring issues I can start working on to swap to higher quality parts/better prices? I'm not looking for a complete top of the line rig, I'm just looking for running a game made in the last decade at halfway decent specs.

Any information is good information, because I'm starting with very little!

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Backstory - my PC is about 9 years old. I have an i5-4670K, 8 gig of ram, and a GTX 1080. I've got a 240gb mSata SSD.

Now, before you judge, I got divorced 5 years ago and I've been working my ass off ever since. I generally have only gamed in the winter when it's fucking stupid cold out and I can't get much done, and with wiinter on the horizon, I'm looking to maybe stop playing Civ5 and start trying out some of these new fangled games. Seeing a post a little while up with the 2TB SSD for $129 blew my mind, and I was about to order one until I saw it and realized I don't even know where it would plug in!

So, I started slapping together some parts, but clearly I have been out of the game way too long. I really wish there was an easy way to figure out what video cards and processors were better than others, but I have literally no clue. So, I started with a budget of $1000, and lets go from there.

Do you guys see any glaring issues I can start working on to swap to higher quality parts/better prices? I'm not looking for a complete top of the line rig, I'm just looking for running a game made in the last decade at halfway decent specs.

Looks fine. If you want to penny pinch, you can get away with a more basic cooler and 16gb. I am not so sure about video cards in that price range right now, that's the thing that costs the most but unfortunately means the most these days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider

cooler

You didn't say what monitor, but if you aren't diehard Nvidia;
$30 more you could get a 6700xt, $130 more this 6800 is on sale

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A 4060 is only 20-25% better than a 1080 in most games, but the bigger memory bandwidth on a 1080 would weirdly perform better in a couple instances and you're not even upgrading from 8GB. Nvidia has cheaped out in that regard while AMD has slapped 16GB on cards since last gen mid tiers.

The 1080 was really solid for its time and sadly there's not a great mid-tier successor from nvidia, you'd have to fork out significantly more for a decent upgrade from them or moderately more for an AMD model.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
cooler

You didn't say what monitor, but if you aren't diehard Nvidia;
$30 more you could get a 6700xt, $130 more this 6800 is on sale

That comes with the $100 starfield edition too. Which if you are going to play isnt a bad deal.

Guess it depends what he games at, 1080p or 1440p. And how much you care about power efficiency or things like dlss/RT.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
These are some good GPU reviews to check out - 7600 vs 4060 and 6800XT vs 4060ti (this one could be a proxy for the 6800 suggested above vs 4060). There is a strong arguement to be made for going last gen AMD for the Vram increase since the 4060 doesn't have the Vram nor enough RT cores to make RT really useful on modern titles.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

Looks otay except the GPU. 1080 to 4060 is a lateral move in a lot of cases. Some more FPS in others, but not a lot more...certainly not $300 more. For that cash, I'd find a used 3070 or 3070ti for around $300 and get a LOT more oomph. Beyond that, 4060 is a trash product at its asking price.

AIO is a good move. I used a big Noctua air cooler for years. Loved the zero noise/zero maintenance HATE HATE working around it. Cooler Master has pretty shit QC kinda meh otherwise. I bought an EK a few months ago. Really high quality and massive performance for an AIO.

EK-Nucleus AIO CR240 Dark <- the best 240, by far.

In terms of chassis, skip the budget and get a good one. Antec Performance 1 is what I got, and it is easy as fuck to work in. It is HUGE and can eat any GPU you want with lots of room left over. It comes with 4 top quality case fans (3x 140mm, 1x 120mm). The top frame comes off with 2 screws and makes mounting an AIO pretty easy, not to mention how much easier it is to get to mainboard wiring. I've built quite a few computers over the years, and the P1 is easily my favorite out of them all. You could easily get 2-3 builds with it which makes it a real value vs cheapie cases which make YOU FUCKING HATE COMPUTERS.

instaioprep.jpg

The case and the EK AIO add $120 to your build but you get WAY more value out of it on top of having top quality parts to work with.

You can sell your 1080 and other parts on FB marketplace or hardwareswap and pocket $100-$150.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
AIO is a good move. I used a big Noctua air cooler for years. Loved the zero noise/zero maintenance HATE HATE working around it. Cooler Master has pretty shit QC kinda meh otherwise. I bought an EK a few months ago. Really high quality and massive performance for an AIO.
imo it's not, Cutlery Cutlery hasn't touched his pc in 9years, thats like driving your car for 60000 miles and going, "what oil in 6k not 60k???!!!"

an AIO would have an end of service for him in 5years and he'd be left wondering why the pc overheats and makes gurgling noises

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Sysprep running til tonight.

IMG_3303.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3314.jpeg

IMG_3316.jpeg

IMG_3320.jpeg

have to shorten a few runs to balance out the look but everything so far seems kosher. Well I need to check the flow meter and learn how to actually use a DDC pump.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Also NH-15 is all you ever need in life for cooling. Hell you can go cheaper and get similar performance. I never ever use AIOs, it’s air or drop the cost of a used car for no reason whatsoever on a custom loop.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Also NH-15 is all you ever need in life for cooling. Hell you can go cheaper and get similar performance. I never ever use AIOs, it’s air or drop the cost of a used car for no reason whatsoever on a custom loop.
The custom loop is looking good. Those connectors dont exactly look like the bargain bin ones you can get elsewhere. Why black tubing, though? I dont see much lighting in the case, so Im assuming a theme to it all. But I dont understand spending so much on the custom loop parts if you cant really see it? Unless Im blind.

Wish Phanteks actually put some effort into making their fans look nice. Even with their scores, I'd still prefer Lian Li Infinity fans just because of the mirror face and connections - even with the LED's off.

Malakriss

I wish the chromax black from Noctua had the same wire lengths and did not mandate extenders. Doesn't matter too much for the CPU coolers since you likely are Y-splitting two fan connections but it matters on the front/top/back ones.

gak

<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to hold my Cascade Lake together with baling wire until Arrow Lake, but it looks like MSI updated their PRO-Z790-P in case anyone needs to do a build and wants to check it out:

PRO Z790-P II

payoff.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So this build actually has 0 RGB except for the distroplate - im slow stepping my build really because i will slide a 14900k in it - I am also sad im using this shitty EK WB when its literally one of the worse - fuck EK

• 1Like

Daidraco

So this build actually has 0 RGB except for the distroplate - im slow stepping my build really because i will slide a 14900k in it - I am also sad im using this shitty EK WB when its literally one of the worse - fuck EK
I feel like I need something more than 4 more E cores before I jump up again. 4 More P cores would have had me interested. But top dawg is still top dawg. Im sure you'll be happy with it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I feel like I need something more than 4 more E cores before I jump up again. 4 More P cores would have had me interested. But top dawg is still top dawg. Im sure you'll be happy with it.

I dont even have a desktop at the moment - so im in no rush - i mainly just use my macbook since im not playing anything. This is for work so its just an experiment - I really found out i dont like Alphacool making simple things turn into something annoying.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
I wish the chromax black from Noctua had the same wire lengths and did not mandate extenders. Doesn't matter too much for the CPU coolers since you likely are Y-splitting two fan connections but it matters on the front/top/back ones.

They have been included in all the chromax fans I have bought. I suppose the join point might be visible depending on fan location and cable routing...