Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
SFF seems great if nothing ever breaks and you never want to swap anything out over. I always build my PCs primarily to be easy to work on, which means giant air-cooled monstrosities. Anything that takes longer than 2 minutes to swap a part is right out.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Whats the best value for video cards these days? My desktop is 6 years old and has a GTX 1070 in it.
I was speccing out a new build and was looking at the RTX 4070 vs the Radeon 7800 XT or maybe even stepping up to the 4070 TI vs Radeon 7900 XT, but no higher than that.
As far as use case, I run a VR headset through it and play around in Unreal 5 Engine.

The build would be powered by a Ryzen 7700X.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even the 4070 Ti has only 12GB which is a total slap in the face. 7900 XT(X) are still overpriced so the "best value" would be getting a sapphire nitro 7800 XT for $560 but if Prime Day or Black Friday discount better cards it would be eclipsed.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for the input. I don't need the best or anything so if I got a 7800 XT, I likely wouldn't worry too much about the Prime Day or Black Friday deals offering something a bit better. But I am not in a rush either, so may just wait a bit to see what the possibilities are.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So you are going the 5600X route. Keep your eye out for a cheap/used 5800X3D - it will be the biggest CPU gaming upgrade you can get on that platform. The 5600X should be fine even just using a 4-pin EPS/CPU power connector - it doesn't need the 8-pin. But it seems like you do have an 8-pin EPS so no worries there.
Man, the 5800x3d is fucked for price. They still want at least $300 for it new and no one is selling them used.

Jovec

?
Man, the 5800x3d is fucked for price. They still want at least $300 for it new and no one is selling them used.

I think you will have to be patient. 5800X3D was a massive gaming upgrade and is still currently a top 3 gaming CPU (behind 7800X3d and 13900k). Next gen AMD AM5 and/or Intel 14th/15th gen will probably see the 5800X3D fall off in relative performance, and you might see more people upgrade them. I upgraded from a 5800X3D/6950XT to a 7800X3D/7900XTX and I cannot see any difference in the games I play. It benches better to be sure, but gameplay is the same.

Also it depends on your GPU. If you are pairing that 5600X with a lower end card, then you might not see a big uplift moving to a 5800X3D. Similarly you will leave a lot of performance on the table using a 5600X with a 4090. The exception to that might be MMOs, where the extra cache should help regardless of GPU.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I know some of you guys like doing this shit. So here it goes, I need a build for an older guy, 60s, needs a computer for general surfing and prinitng shit. He gave me a $1000 limit but I think I can go a bit lowrer, lol. I want something for him that will last. So cant go too cheap. I have a micro center by me if that helps.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I know some of you guys like doing this shit. So here it goes, I need a build for an older guy, 60s, needs a computer for general surfing and prinitng shit. He gave me a $1000 limit but I think I can go a bit lowrer, lol. I want something for him that will last. So cant go too cheap. I have a micro center by me if that helps.
what defines printing shit? cuz have you considered just getting him a good tablet?

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In general with tech advancement and warranties it probably is not worth buying something for that use at that price point. If all he is doing is web surfing and printing stuff off, buy him a $500 laptop and tell him to save the other $500 to buy a new upgraded one in 3-5 years. If a laptop screen is too small, just get an external monitor with some of the extra money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
That's because it's an insanely good cpu. I just upgraded to it with the 6950XT and this system can probably ride out the rest of the decade np.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My hands are too big for SFF, in a blind rage i may kill those around me when trying to deal with a SFF case.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My hands are too big for SFF, in a blind rage i may kill those around me when trying to deal with a SFF case.
Its funny to me, cause I feel the same way. Watching videos of people using every square inch of those cases and putting something like a 4080 in there just boggles my mind. But on that same note, Im not the biggest fan of the big cases. But my 4090 would look absolutely retarded if it even did fit in a mid.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kinda like the Dell SFF systems, they're not hard to work on. Most stuff just clicks into place, cables are all just the right length etc. Various parts can be found on ebay cheap.

I'd never use one for a serious gaming PC but for media usage or the boomer family member that just wants to use email and watch cat videos I now usually get them one of these from a refurbisher and I've had far fewer headaches with them than I ever did with custom builds.

1696842215646.png