Desktop Computers

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What resolution do you want to game at? That 8GB of VRAM might be limiting.

I don't plan on pushing 4k, but just the shitty choice of a power hungry AMD GPU or a low VRAM nvidia GPU has made me hesitant to upgrade.

Its gonna be 1440p. Don't plan on upgrading my monitors any time soon.

the 70ti's are like double the price and at that point might as well get an 80ti if spending that kinda cash. I just don't really game all that much anymore and most of the games I play don't tend to test CPU/GPU limits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Might look at a 4070 (non-ti), they have substantially better performance than the 4060ti and are 12gb, should get a bit more life out of it than a 4060ti. It's only about $160 more, if price is an issue and you're not going be pushing limits I wouldn't bother with an overclocked system, you could step down to a non-K CPU and a cheaper B760 mobo and probably end up around the same total. A 650 or 750w psu should be more than enough for that too.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
We still overclocking CPUs these days?
I guess some are. I bought another K series but ehhhh I never end up needing to. Plus by time Star Citizen comes out in 2034 I'll probably want to upgrade anyway.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Typically buy better binned models that have onboard graphics for troubleshooting if the GPU has issues.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Undervolting, wattage throttling, ECO mode.

Exactly, but none of that is overclocking like back in the day. Still a bit of silicon lottery for how low you can go, but you don't need a K series to undervolt right?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Exactly, but none of that is overclocking like back in the day. Still a bit of silicon lottery for how low you can go, but you don't need a K series to undervolt right?
No, but you still want a K, compare specs on Intel ARK. Overclockability isn't the only distinction.

Actually, you may still need a K to undervolt. Hmm.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
PXL_20231103_104542684.MP.jpg

So, PC is built. First fresh build in ages and I'm installing all the games and stuff.

Is there a way for me to turn off the led on the be quiet pure loop?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
i remember that aio having a mess of y splitters, one of them is just to power the led, lulz, just don't plug it in
Yeah, I was wondering that. It seems to have 2 wires, one coming from the thing on the tubes which is presumably the pump, and one from the cpu block. If that is just the LED, that's an easy unplug.

Edit: Seems to have worked

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I was wondering that. It seems to have 2 wires, one coming from the thing on the tubes which is presumably the pump, and one from the cpu block. If that is just the LED, that's an easy unplug.
yea the thing on tubes is the pump, it lessens vibrations since it's on the tubes, instead of on the cpu where it would easily transfer more vibrations

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
We don't really have a thread for this, and I don't think it deserves one.

I'm looking for a printer for home. Something that is going to print a decent amount of color stuff, but doesn't need to be super high quality. Just something that's cost effective where I'm not replacing ink for an arm and a leg constantly. Something that it is going to be a network printer that ideally I can just plug in near the router and any computer on the network can print to.

Anyone have any suggestions, or things to avoid?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I'm looking for a printer for home. Something that is going to print a decent amount of color stuff, but doesn't need to be super high quality. Just something that's cost effective where I'm not replacing ink for an arm and a leg constantly. Something that it is going to be a network printer that ideally I can just plug in near the router and any computer on the network can print to.

I think a lot of it comes down to cost of ink. Now that you can get knockoff cartriges it may not be as big of a deal, but I have seen printers that have permanent cartriges you fill up with liquid ink. Depending on effeciency that's what I'd be looking for.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This meme article is actually quite serious. Every serious computer professional knows its true. This printer has become a meme.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah laser printer is the way to go. We bought ours years ago and its still going. Sometimes like months between printing anything but you just turn it on and it just works. No ink refills, no dry ink, no cleaning of any ink tips or any of that garbage. You can go for like 1000 pages or more before you need another toner cartridge. ITs what they specifically use in offices because its cheap, effective and hardly any maintenance.