Desktop Computers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah isnt the 760 the sweet spot for price vs performance?

Also you are leaving out a PSU, Windows and a storage drive. Not sure if you have all that on hand though. But yeah, I agree on the above points on a 1080 monitor, that card is way overkill.

Get a 760 now, use it for 2 yrs and get something new when it comes out later instead of blowing your wad now and regretting it.

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
He mentioned he had a PSU 700-750w and storage drive previously in the thread. What monitors/resolution are you running at? Was that storage drive a SSD?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
What sort of monitor are you using? That video card seems a little overkill unless you're using multiple monitors. I'm running BF4 on 2560X1440 with everything maxed using an ATI 7950 (about $300 less than the card you're checking out), and using a 600 watt PSU. I'm getting 30+ FPS with that setup.
my monitor is some random 1080p ill be upgrading that short after, i have a 700 or 750watt psu, do you think if i went down to the 760? with this setup i could run titanfall at max fps? been a long ass time since i played graphic intense games on my pc been alot of dota.

if i saved on the gpu, any place i could put that for some performance gain?

the hdd is not, im getting a ssd though so the other will be for junk like movies and shit.

id be saving 200$ if this is the card you're talking aboutEVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card (04G-P4-3768-KR) - PCPartPicker
is that gonna run bf4 and titanfall at 60fps? if not maybe the 780 is worth it?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Other than video card you have no place to gain performance in the specs you posted. Buy the best card you can afford if you want to be future proof for awhile.

770 is a performance value imo (I run high res monitor), but the 780 is a beast.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
BF4 bench at 1920x1200 for reference.

rrr_img_49992.png

BF4 @ 2560x1440

rrr_img_49993.png

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
thats confusing for some reason i was looking at that and thinking, why would the 690 be better than the 780 etc, and numbers clearly have no meaning, its a 900$ vid card fuck

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Really thinking about getting a 290x when I put my machine together. Seems like a killer performance/price point.
that is a nice price point damn... for only like 70$ more its a big jump over 780, this is the dumbest shit ever but, if i got this card with my build i would need to go amd instead of intel as my cpu right? i wonder how much i would have to change around the other parts, i think i want the 290x for the price difference the performance seems big.

Intel Core i5-4670K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker
link to my setup again.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
that is a nice price point damn... for only like 70$ more its a big jump over 780, this is the dumbest shit ever but, if i got this card with my build i would need to go amd instead of intel as my cpu right? i wonder how much i would have to change around the other parts, i think i want the 290x for the price difference the performance seems big.

Intel Core i5-4670K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker
link to my setup again.
No, there is absolutely no correlation between CPU brand and GPU brand. Stay the hell away from AMD for gaming CPUs

And honestly, unless you are a "money is no object" type person, I wouldn't spend $500+ on a GPU. The problem with that is, you spend $500 on a graphics card now, and a $300 card 2 years down the road runs circles around it. I honestly feel that ~$300 is always right about the sweet spot for good, solid gaming video cards that will let you play all of your games on high/ultra settings for the next couple years. Just buy a new $300 video card every other year and you'll be much better off than trying to spend $500+ on one and attempting to make it last for 3-4 years. That thing is going to be an utter dog by the end of that long of a timeframe.

Look at those charts posted above. the Nvidia 580 was the $500 card from 2-3 years ago, and look how it stacks up now compared to like a 280x that is currently ~$300. 2 years ago you could have bought a 570 for $300, then turn around and spend that again now on a 280x, and be much better off than trying to make that 580 last 3-4 years. A 580 is going to really suck in another 2 years.

This years $500 card, is next years ~$350 card, and is equivalent to about a $200 card by the time you are 2 years out.

nate_sl

shitlord
No, there is absolutely no correlation between CPU brand and GPU brand. Stay the hell away from AMD for gaming CPUs

And honestly, unless you are a "money is no object" type person, I wouldn't spend $500+ on a GPU. The problem with that is, you spend $500 on a graphics card now, and a $300 card 2 years down the road runs circles around it. I honestly feel that ~$300 is always right about the sweet spot for good, solid gaming video cards that will let you play all of your games on high/ultra settings for the next couple years. Just buy a new $300 video card every other year and you'll be much better off than trying to spend $500+ on one and attempting to make it last for 3-4 years. That thing is going to be an utter dog by the end of that long of a timeframe.

Look at those charts posted above. the Nvidia 580 was the $500 card from 2-3 years ago, and look how it stacks up now compared to like a 280x that is currently ~$300. 2 years ago you could have bought a 570 for $300, then turn around and spend that again now on a 280x, and be much better off than trying to make that 580 last 3-4 years. A 580 is going to really suck in another 2 years.

This years $500 card, is next years ~$350 card, and is equivalent to about a $200 card by the time you are 2 years out.
Doh, I actually meant the 280x. If money was no object though I'd grab that 290.
wink.png

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you need a GPU right now I would go with a 280x, the 290 and 290x I think they are still on the reference cards that don't have very good coolers. Still a couple of weeks away I imagine before they start releasing non-reference cards.

Sterling

El Presidente
Hate that we don't have a microcenter around here. Going to join the bandwagon and probably build a new desktop by parting it out on bf/cm mostly from newegg.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
So my computer died a month ago and I wasn't sure if it was my video card causing it or just my power supply died. So I went to Best Buy and bought one of each and it turned out to be the power supply. I got a bit lazy with returning the video card and it turns out they changed their return policy and they refused to let me return it, the scum bags.

Anyways, I've got a nice video card for sale.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-ultr...&skuId=5619352

This is exactly what I have and I didn't use it for more than about 10 seconds. It's 120$ on the website + shipping. I'd be willing to sell it for 100$ with shipping included, if anyone is interested let me know.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I dont know about a 7770 for 100, tigerdirect has an msi 7870 for the 120 price right now, good luck though.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
So I decided to go a bit more balls out than usual on my new build - trying to find an OC'd 780 Ti from Gigabyte or EVGA or the like is taxing.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Side note: If anyone is interested I have a few components for sale yet from my old build. Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Gigabyte 660 Ti GV-N66TOC-2GD (their OC'd version), ASUS P8Z77-V LK, and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So I want to upgrade my computer but I just read an article that ddr4 comes out next month. I also read that it won't come out for 2 more years. Which one is it? Is it 2 years for your average consumer builds? Are there motherboards in the works if ddr4 comes out next month? Kind of confused about it all. Would like to snatch up some black friday deals if ddr4 isn't coming out for a couple of years but I'm willing to wait a couple of months if ddr4 is coming out soon.