Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
DDR4 may technically be available next month, but I don't think you'll see any consumer-level products that can use it for quite a while(motherboards).

Basically, we'll need a whole new line of CPUs and motherboards that are designed for it to take advantage of DDR4. If you want to wait on DDR4 before you build a new PC, you'll probably be waiting a year at least.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
DDR4 may technically be available next month, but I don't think you'll see any consumer-level products that can use it for quite a while(motherboards).

Basically, we'll need a whole new line of CPUs and motherboards that are designed for it to take advantage of DDR4. If you want to wait on DDR4 before you build a new PC, you'll probably be waiting a year at least.
It's going to be on X99 (haswell-E) boards.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
So my computer died a month ago and I wasn't sure if it was my video card causing it or just my power supply died. So I went to Best Buy and bought one of each and it turned out to be the power supply. I got a bit lazy with returning the video card and it turns out they changed their return policy and they refused to let me return it, the scum bags.

Anyways, I've got a nice video card for sale.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-ultr...&skuId=5619352

This is exactly what I have and I didn't use it for more than about 10 seconds. It's 120$ on the website + shipping. I'd be willing to sell it for 100$ with shipping included, if anyone is interested let me know.
Alright I'll sell it for 80$ with shipping included then.

jeydax

Death and Taxes

If I'm not mistaken Intel has indicated we likely won't see CPU/Mobos in the mainstream that support DDR4 until at least 2015 (Skylake processors).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's going to be on X99 (haswell-E) boards.
We don't even have a release date on those do we? I've seen a few guesses on various sites thinking maybe Spring/Summer 2014 at the earliest. So probably at least 6 months away, maybe more from the sounds of it.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
We don't even have a release date on those do we? I've seen a few guesses on various sites thinking maybe Spring/Summer 2014 at the earliest. So probably at least 6 months away, maybe more from the sounds of it.
Q3 or Q4 of 2014 is when it is expected to drop.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Whelp. Bought my CPU and Motherboard today at Microcenter.

Intel Core i7-4770Kfor $200
ASUS Z87-PROfor $165~ish

Hard to pass that deal up.
lucky bitch, fucking sold out near me (2 hours away but woulda been worth it)

So im really confused the 280x is cheaper than the gtx 770 and has better performance? am i reading that chart wrong? all in all that 280x seems to be the sweet spot anyone else think differently?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Side note: If anyone is interested I have a few components for sale yet from my old build. Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Gigabyte 660 Ti GV-N66TOC-2GD (their OC'd version), ASUS P8Z77-V LK, and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.
how much for the ssd shoot me a pm, its the size i want for my build wouldent mind saving a few bucks.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
It depends on the game - I'm not sure if it's enabled yet but BF4 should have the Mantle API which AMD built and that may be why it's has a little better performance. They are both good cards and in some games the 770 will be a little faster.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also, some people are loyal to AMD or Nvidia at this point. After a bad string of driver issues I have not run an AMD card in years. (not that they have problems now, it just made me switch and I haven't felt the need to swap back)

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
It depends on the game - I'm not sure if it's enabled yet but BF4 should have the Mantle API which AMD built and that may be why it's has a little better performance. They are both good cards and in some games the 770 will be a little faster.
what games though? and why would it be faster, this is the kinda grey area i have no idea about, based off looking at the chart the 770 just seems a lesser product in what way would it be faster than the 280x?

maybe i should i find benchmarks just for overall performance and not BF4? not even sure what i would google? "top 10 video cards out right now performance checks? or benchmarks?"

the video card is the last piece to my puzzle then im ready to pull the trigger, so sorry if im coming off as needy, but i made the wrong choice before in video cards, my last card was a 4850x2 and i guess that was a bad buy when it was out.

PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmarks - High End Video Cards

looking at this chart, the 770 does seem to out perform the 280x, i think you were right with the built in BF4 bullshit, all really confusing
frown.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
why why why why why is anyone buying ANYTHING this close to Cyber Monday? For the love of god wait 10 days. You might save 25% or more

jeydax

Death and Taxes
why why why why why is anyone buying ANYTHING this close to Cyber Monday? For the love of god wait 10 days. You might save 25% or more
True. I'd listen to this 100% for anyone else.

Chances are I won't find that great of a discount for any of my parts though. I'd already gotten a killer discount that will definitely not be beat for the CPU/Motherboard. Also, a simple call to Newegg and telling them you're doing a full build may or may not allow them to by-pass any price matching in the next 15 days on the parts which the state is something they don't do for Black Friday/Cyber Monday/etc deals - the rep I had did that for me. We'll see if they follow through if I do actually find any killer deals on the parts I ordered. YMMV on that