Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Can anyone recommend a decent dual monitor stand/arm for vertical monitor stacking that also gets the bottom monitor off the desk about 3-4"? Using two 27" monitors.
Amazon.com: Ergotron Lx Dual Stacking Arm: Electronics
i've always used ergotrons, they are the most expensive of the bunch, i have 2 wall mount ergotron lx and a wall mount keyboard tray and 2 desk mounts for the wifes computer...

however i would do research on monitor arms cuz you want to mount 27in, my ergotron is holding up a really heavy 24in hp, that i side taped 2 really heavy boston monitors(speakers) to and i think if i put another ounce on it, it would dip.

you do have quick adjustments and hex screws to do super precious angles.

otherwise the lx mounts (model of the brand) handle 24in like a champ (i have the other lx arms holding up from 19 to 24in monitors)

i just wouldn't be able to say 27in... you put them on a scale yet?

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Finally upgrading to SSDs for my laptop and new desktop I'm building.

Anyone familiar with the Windows 8 licensing rules? I got the $15 version when it was first released and it's currently on my laptop HDD. Should I just use Samsung's migration tool to clone it over, or is it still "better" to install from scratch. I know when SSDs were a newer thing, Windows wouldn't automatically change the settings to accommodate them, but I hear things are different these days.

Additionally, I have an old installation of Windows 7 on my desktop HDD that I'd rather not deal with. I have the Win7 install disc - can I just plug in my SSD, boot it up, and install Windows the way I would on an HDD?

Considering running 8 on the new desktop but I'm not sure the $15 version I got initially will allow me to do multiple installs - looking into it.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Hey guys, quick question.

I plan to upgrade my secondary rig in march for Titanfall, but I want to spend as little as possible, ideally, and not upgrade the processor/mobo. Rocking an i7-2600 (non k... It was a gift) @3.4ghtz. What do you think is the most powerful GPU solution available that wouldn't bottleneck it?

Thanks.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Amazon.com: Ergotron Lx Dual Stacking Arm: Electronics
i've always used ergotrons, they are the most expensive of the bunch, i have 2 wall mount ergotron lx and a wall mount keyboard tray and 2 desk mounts for the wifes computer...

however i would do research on monitor arms cuz you want to mount 27in, my ergotron is holding up a really heavy 24in hp, that i side taped 2 really heavy boston monitors(speakers) to and i think if i put another ounce on it, it would dip.

you do have quick adjustments and hex screws to do super precious angles.

otherwise the lx mounts (model of the brand) handle 24in like a champ (i have the other lx arms holding up from 19 to 24in monitors)

i just wouldn't be able to say 27in... you put them on a scale yet?
I've already have the ergotron dual arm side by side monitor mount but I was hoping to avoid the $200 pricepoint.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
hooked up my latest korean 27" 1440p, came in 3 days still blown away by how they are faster than amazon even. overclocked to 90hz right now with zero dead pixels and no light bleeding that I can tell, if its stable at 90hz I'll try 120hz in a day or two. So if anyone is thinking about doing it, I say go for it for $320 its a steal
Perfect Pixel 27 Slim Qnix QX2710 Evolution II LED PLS 2560x1440 QHD Monitor | eBay

only bad things: the stand SUCKS, its literally the cheapest piece of shit you can possibly imagine and was a bit scratched up (the panel was fine). I will probably order another same monitor and buy a real dual monitor stand, it has VESA slots on the back so its no problem hooking it up. I'll probably buy something like this
Amazon.com: Dual Monitor Stand holds monitors up to 27 widescreen. Uses standard Vesa mount. Clamps to Desk.: Office Products
Did you guys not see this from a couple pages back? Just ordered one myself for my 2 27" monitors, the price is phenomenal

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Got my Dell U2713HM 27" 1440p monitor today, a A00 October 2013 China manufacture with no dead pixels and no visible light bleed. I just have to suffer through another week with my old PC running a 760 for this weekend but it's still doing an above average job of handling it.

The 27" 1440 next to a 27" 1080 makes the lower resolution seems really stretched so I'd almost prefer sticking with a 24" for 16:9 1080 and only go larger if you're doing 1920x1200 16:10.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nothing during the sales sparked my interest enough so I'm just going to wait until around New Years and hope newegg comes with some sales. If not, I'll just build up. It should give me the time to do a proper amount of homework this time

Renault

N00b
I've got a bit of a GPU conundrum I'm hoping for a little outside perspective on.

Putting together an i5-4670k etc with 1080p screen for general use and regular gaming (D3, FC3, AC4, TR etc). I was hoping to get a 670 on sale this past weekend but I missed out on all of them and as we all know there's fuck-all AMD's in that range available right now. So now I'm trying to decide if I should drop down for now and get something like a 6870 and upgrade in 3-6 months or go to a 760. My main hesitation over the 760 is it's slower then the 670's and ~$50 more then they were selling for this last weekend.

Essentially I guess I'm wondering if people think a 760 will keep me happy for the next year+ gaming or if I don't mind waiting a bit should I hold out for something else.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What is your budget? I honestly didn't see how far 670s dipped down in price, but at regular price they are priced about the same as a 770, so a 770 would be a nice option if you are willing to go up around $300.

Unfortunately, the week of Thanksgiving, but before Cyber Monday it seemed like a LOT of cards went on quick sale and sold out within hours. It was generally last-generation cards (660Tis, 670s, AMD 7970s, etc), so I don't know if it's a sale that will be repeated or if places were just blowing out old stock that they don't plan on ever replacing now that newer cards are here.

Because of those sales, there's a severe lack of stock of cards that would normally be around $200-$300, as a lot of those dipped down 50 to 100 bucks and sold out.

You can still pick up a 670 for under $300, likeGIGABYTE GV-N670WF2-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com.

Renault

N00b
Budget I was figuring in the $230-250 range since that seems to be the sweet spot price/performance from what I understand.

Sadly that seems to be exactly what happened, I bought into the hype that Cyber Monday would have amazing deals and wasn't watching for anything before BF. When I looked up what deals there were on Friday and before I saw Newegg had some 670's for $200 AR and there were a couple other places with different models between $220-230 as well.

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bought a Asus VG248QE 24" monitor last night, impulse buy at frys. Man, its night and day running bf4 at 144hz. So much clearer, smoother. I am running high settings and hit 134fps max. Never dipping below 110fps or so.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
what specs actually matter for monitors for FPS games, i was going through reviews and alot of the monitors on newegg seem to suck for gaming, even the benqs have ghosting issues so im confused.

spronk

FPS noob
I've got a bit of a GPU conundrum I'm hoping for a little outside perspective on.

Putting together an i5-4670k etc with 1080p screen for general use and regular gaming (D3, FC3, AC4, TR etc). I was hoping to get a 670 on sale this past weekend but I missed out on all of them and as we all know there's fuck-all AMD's in that range available right now. So now I'm trying to decide if I should drop down for now and get something like a 6870 and upgrade in 3-6 months or go to a 760. My main hesitation over the 760 is it's slower then the 670's and ~$50 more then they were selling for this last weekend.

Essentially I guess I'm wondering if people think a 760 will keep me happy for the next year+ gaming or if I don't mind waiting a bit should I hold out for something else.
dunno your price point but there are video card deals all the time, right now on newegg $349 (20 rebate) for this gtx 770
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N770WF3-4GD GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

and you get 3 free games with it, you can ebay those keys for $40-50 no problem too if you already own them or don't want them or wait for a big steam sale. If you are patient you can usually get 30-50% off video cards, just go toSlickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazonand set up a forum hot deals search alert for video card, usually 1-2 posts a day and sometimes can score an amazing deal. The deals will be pretty big in january too as new models roll out, demand is a lot lower, etc.

don't forget next year is pretty huge too, with gSync monitors (for the FPS question above), gSync monitors have already started rolling into test labs for reviews. DDR4 and GDDR6 are also coming out next year, should be big boosts to performance for PC gaming. While I wouldn't wait around for those two things since they are probably in the fall, don't buy really expensive shit now since odds are good in 12-18 months there will be replacement products that are significantly faster and cheaper.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wouldn't count too much on being able to ebay bundled games, invariably a lot of people have the same idea and flood the auction sites with the same title.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm bummed I didn't get Arkham Orgins with my video card like I was supposed to.
frown.png

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was reading some of the comments on that 770 and is it true above 2GB is pretty much for high resolutions? I have a 1920x1200 monitor and that's pretty much only resolution I ever use, so the 4GB card seems kind of overkill for me.

I'm keeping a eye out on Slickdeals to try and get a decent GPU in the 200-250 price range.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
don't forget next year is pretty huge too, with gSync monitors (for the FPS question above), gSync monitors have already started rolling into test labs for reviews. DDR4 and GDDR6 are also coming out next year, should be big boosts to performance for PC gaming. While I wouldn't wait around for those two things since they are probably in the fall,don't buy really expensive shit now since odds are good in 12-18 months there will be replacement products that are significantly faster and cheaper.
Is this in terms of RAM or all pieces?