Desktop Computers

ShakyJake

<Donor>
there is literally no wires anywhere near the fans for the video card, it honestly sounds like something is rubbing/touching but then it also sounds like its struggling idk it just does not sound like its working right basically, i dont expect it to be silent, but the sound is just weird and dosent sound ok.
Maybe check the video card's fans themselves. One could be off-kilter, or actually rubbing against an internal wire to the card itself (I've actually had this happen before).

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Maybe check the video card's fans themselves. One could be off-kilter, or actually rubbing against an internal wire to the card itself (I've actually had this happen before).
yeah thats my next step, i got a buddy coming over to check it out, but then again i ask myself if something is rubbing wouldent i hear it all the time? or if something was off-kilter?

unless my video card is asleep until something like CS:GO comes up? idk just weird.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
For browsing/docs 1900x1200 is great, but don't get it for gaming or videos since you'll get black bars in a lot of stuff (16:10 vs 16:9) which is a bit annoying.
Before I had my 27'' I ran a 24'' 1920x1200 and never had a problem with black bars in actual game play in any title. I remember cut scenes in a couple games would be letter boxed but not many.

spronk

FPS noob
a lot of games don't play perfectly in non 16:9 resolutions. either you get black borders on the sides (or top/bottom), or even worse you get fucked up full screen cutscenes. BF4, GW2, wow, LOL, D3, FFXIV, TESO, Wildstar all work perfectly at any resolution. Games like Assassins Creed 4, Max Payne 3, Saints Row 4, Starcraft 2, and many others have varying degrees. AC4 for example lets you set up any resolution but it will black border anything outside 16:9, during regular gameplay and cutscenes. Saints Row 4 and Max Payne 3 can do weird shit with making cutscenes fit. You probably wouldn't even notice it until you start looking for it.

Its 99% not a huge deal, and you get used to small black borders on the sides of your screen fast, but if you want a perfect experience and you are buying a gaming/video monitor right now its just better to go for 16:9 rather than 16:10. 1080p, 1440p, or 4k. I only really noticed it it because for a while I was running a 29" widescreen 2560x1080 (27:10) as my primary, and you quickly learn which games just don't like that shit. Max Payne 3 was the worst, it made all the cutscenes into these tiny youtube size videos in the middle of the screen, mostly because they wanted to be clever and make their cutscenes into a 3 section montage deal-io.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
anyone got recommendations on 700-750 PSUs? it was the one thing i didnt buy new, so im just gonna grab one this week, what are some more notable brands?

i have a full size case, so need something with semi long wires so i can hide them.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
It's coil whine. It's not really a bad thing. It comes up when overclocking or when running at very high frame rates - this is why CS:GO screams but other lower frame rate games are fine. You could return for replacement, but you'll probably get the same thing. It may even go away over time.
is that from my cpu?

my friend said that it was coming from my PSU...

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
My guess would be the video card. Power supplies can exhibit coil whine as well, but since it's one you previously used without issue, the power supply is less likely the problem. If you really can't isolate the noise, using something like OCCT to stress the whole system vs just the video card may tell you what's what.
Well to be honest my last Pc was a loud mess, from the case fans to the video card, so i probably wouldent have noticed that from the psu, its possible my old setup didnt even draw enough power to get it to make that noise.

for the GPU i figured it was the fans and the video card itself going full power mode, but i went into the overclocking controls and set my fan to 100% on the video card, and it didnt sound anything like the whine i was hearing, not sure if that info helps at all, but i thought the noise may have been the video card fans going turbo mode because bf4 was loaded so i tried them individually.

One question is this PSU partially modular?Corsair CX 750W Modular Series CP-9020061-NA Power Supply - 80+ Bronze, ATX, Modular Cabling, Active PFC, Single +12V Rail, Low Noise, Trouble-free Installation at TigerDirect.com

It looks like the power connecters are modular but part of its not? and it sucks my case is full size alot of these psu complaints are short cables.

i ran the test for the PSU using, occt it makes the whine but does that mean its my psu? or can it still be the gpu?

when i specifically test the GPU with occt it does not make the whine.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Love the Qnix 2560x1440 that arrived yesterday.

No dead or stuck pixels, and only a tiny bit of light bleeding in the lower left corner that I can't even see while actually playing a game or in the windows desktop. The stand is total trash, can't wait until my dual monitor stand shows up tomorrow.

Didn't take too bad of a performance hit either from my previous 1920x1200 on dual 3GB 660 Tis

Tomb Raider benchmark dropped from an Average of 95 FPS to 62 FPS
Also ran the Unigen Valley benchmark, it went from an average of 68 FPS @ 1200p to 41 FPS @1440p

Assassins Creed 4 looked like pure sex at 1440p. Friggin love it.

Now tonight I need to see if I can get the monitor overclocked up to 120hz. Couldn't get it going last night but I'm using beta Nvida drivers(for SLI AC4 improvement), I may have to go back to the last release drivers to get the overclock to work. We'll see. Didn't mess with it too much last night, was too busy drooling over it, loll

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well to be honest my last Pc was a loud mess, from the case fans to the video card, so i probably wouldent have noticed that from the psu, its possible my old setup didnt even draw enough power to get it to make that noise.

for the GPU i figured it was the fans and the video card itself going full power mode, but i went into the overclocking controls and set my fan to 100% on the video card, and it didnt sound anything like the whine i was hearing, not sure if that info helps at all, but i thought the noise may have been the video card fans going turbo mode because bf4 was loaded so i tried them individually.

One question is this PSU partially modular?Corsair CX 750W Modular Series CP-9020061-NA Power Supply - 80+ Bronze, ATX, Modular Cabling, Active PFC, Single +12V Rail, Low Noise, Trouble-free Installation at TigerDirect.com

It looks like the power connecters are modular but part of its not? and it sucks my case is full size alot of these psu complaints are short cables.

i ran the test for the PSU using, occt it makes the whine but does that mean its my psu? or can it still be the gpu?

when i specifically test the GPU with occt it does not make the whine.
Yes part of it is modular, the part you see in the screenshot which is the mb connections are directly connected and dont come off (you need these anyway) the rest you plug into the PSU. I have this exact psu and it works great, I don't have a full tower though only a mid size.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Yes part of it is modular, the part you see in the screenshot which is the mb connections are directly connected and dont come off (you need these anyway) the rest you plug into the PSU. I have this exact psu and it works great, I don't have a full tower though only a mid size.
Do you think the cables would be long enough to work in a full size? kinda shitty but i cant see cable size as part of specs....

i guess they only need to be long so i can hide them, and avoid wires hanging in front of everything....

my psu is mounted to the bottom as well, im using the HAF 932 full size atx tower.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I'd love one of those 1440p monitors but they are still pretty expensive.

No dead or stuck pixels, and only a tiny bit of light bleeding in the lower left corner that I can't even see while actually playing a game or in the windows desktop. The stand is total trash, can't wait until my dual monitor stand shows up tomorrow.

Didn't take too bad of a performance hit either from my previous 1920x1200 on dual 3GB 660 Tis

Also ran the Unigen Valley benchmark, it went from an average of 68 FPS @ 1200p to 41 FPS @1440p

Now tonight I need to see if I can get the monitor overclocked up to 120hz. Couldn't get it going last night but I'm using beta Nvida drivers(for SLI AC4 improvement), I may have to go back to the last release drivers to get the overclock to work. We'll see. Didn't mess with it too much last night, was too busy drooling over it, loll

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd love one of those 1440p monitors but they are still pretty expensive.
They're pretty damn cheap, honestly. I paid $279 for mine, with free shipping. Hell, I paid $300 apiece for both of my 28" 1920x1200 monitors 2 years ago. Heck at the rate we are going, you'll probably see 4K 27" monitors for ~$300 in another couple years, and 1440p monitors will be like $100, they'll be as common as 1080p is now.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

I just tested my 2GB 670 SLIs and got 51.7 avg in Tomb Raider @ 1440p / Ultimate settings , as a comparison to how the two cards perform. I've always complained about my 670s though and the fact I can't overclock them in the slightest without crazy crashing.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card for $224.99 AC F/S - Slickdeals.net

^ Yes I know its with masterpass(which I have).
Good deal or should I just wait for January? I pretty much only play bf4 and wildstar atm @ 1920x1200. But playing bf4 with a 5850 and everything @ low or Off.
A 270x for 200 will match a 760 for BF3 and a 280x for 300 will match or surpass a 770.

I've always been an Nvidia person, but the price point for AMD's is really strong right now.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good luck finding an AMD card priced at MSRP atm...

Edit: Guess I should clarify, coin mining has made the new cards hard to find and retailers are hiking the prices up.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit when did that happen?!? I bought my r9 280x on 11/03/13 it was 300 and I used a 20$ off 250+ purchase and paid 280, now its running at 379 and out of stock?!

Why would people buy them for mining? My card gets 600 Mhashes/sec tops. Wayyyy not worth it for the power cost, regardless of Bitcoin price.

Greynth_sl

shitlord
What do you guys think for a +/- $1k-priced build strictly as far as CPU/GPU goes?

Intel i5-4670k or AMD FX-8320 and/or Gigabyte GTX 770 or Asus R9 280x