Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What do you guys think for a +/- $1k-priced build strictly as far as CPU/GPU goes?

Intel i5-4670k or AMD FX-8320 and/or Gigabyte GTX 770 or Asus R9 280x
If you are building a PC for gaming, do not buy an AMD cpu

Rest of the choices look fine, you'll probably be able to find a better deal on the 770 right now than a 280x as far as video cards go

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
Holy shit when did that happen?!? I bought my r9 280x on 11/03/13 it was 300 and I used a 20$ off 250+ purchase and paid 280, now its running at 379 and out of stock?!

Why would people buy them for mining? My card gets 600 Mhashes/sec tops. Wayyyy not worth it for the power cost, regardless of Bitcoin price.
My R9 280x gets 750 hash, like .29 coins a day with current mining difficulty. First time i turned it off today lol dont think its worth it unless you can mine a shit ton of coins. Bought mine for $308

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think they are mining bitcoins but some of the other new coins that are popping up all over currently.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Getting quite a few slickdeal phone updates on gpu today 660ti for 150 760 for 195 amd 770 for about 260ish. Not sure about the specifics but maybe worth a look

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Looking for a 27inch gaming monitor thats good for fps.

anyone got buy anything recently that was a nice deal or have any advice for finding and selecting such a monitor?

Sterling

El Presidente
There were a couple from monoprice listed in this thread a couple pages back that are quite a nice deal. Not as cheap as straight from Korea, but you don't have quite as much hassle.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
didnt see anything, went back about 7-8 pages, only saw like 2 monitors posted, a korean one for like 300$ or so and some other one.
Newegg.com - Hanns-G HL273HPB Black 271 Built-in Speakers

is hans-g a good brand lol?
I had 2 Hanns-G 1920x1200 27.5" LCD monitors and they are solid, but I just upgraded 1 to a Qnix 2560x1440. Holy crap. For the extra $40 over the Hanns G, do it. The HannsG is $250, the Qnix is $290, both no tax, free shipping.

Although, looking at ebay right now, I'm not seeing any Qnix monitors for $290 + free shipping, maybe they pop up irregularly as various places get them in and out of stock. I think its definitely worth watching for one for a few days at least.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i second the korean QNIX 27" 1440p monitor from eBay, I got a pixel perfect version for $320 shipped. Its better than ordering from newegg or amazon crazily enough, it arrived 3 days after I ordered it and has worked flawlessly. This is the second one I ordered, the last one (shimian) was a year ago or so and also same experience. The koreans ship out hundreds of these monitors daily and there are a lot of websites that talk about it so its a pretty safe deal-io.

The only thing I'd say is replace the stand, the default one just suuuuuucks bad. I ordered this one from monoprice, for under $20 its working out great. Gives me height adjustment and has a nice solid V base. I will move to a dual 27" setup with a single clamp stand next year sometime, just waiting for a gSync compatible 1440p before I order two.
Adjustable Tilting SINGLE Desk Mount Bracket for LCD LED (Max 33Lbs, 10~23inch) - Black - Monoprice.com

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
how much does MS matter, i was reading going above 5 will cause issues ghosting in fps. one qinx is 6 MS, and the other is 8 for 320~

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well motherfuck

Was mounting my Qnix to a dual-monitor mount, so had to disassemble it a bit to remove the stand. Figured while I had it half apart I'd take it all apart and see if I could fix the tiny bit of backlight bleed in the bottom corner with a quick electrical tape job. Got it all apart, taped it up, got it all back together and now theres a bigass black line running vertically across the entire screen.

Upon closer inspection of all the little ribbon cables that run along the side and top of the panel, it looks like I somehow put a small dent/scratch in one of them.

I now have a $290 doorstop...

I wonder what the odds are that I could buy one through someone that has a good return policy like Amazon and return my bad unit and end up with 2 working ones...

Goddamn I'm dumb sometimes, the backlight bleed wasn't bad at all, I shouldn't have tried to fuck with it and opened it all up.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I just emailed the seller. According to their postings they do accept returns/exchanges, I would just have to pay for shipping. I'll see what comes of that.

I thought about the possibility of swapping out the ribbon, but I don't think I have the soldering skills to do it. I haven't soldered anything since high school shop class, lol. Me trying to solder what looks to be roughly 100ish connections in a 2-inch space would end up as a total debacle, I have no doubt.

edit - heres a pic of where I fucked it up
rrr_img_52997.jpg

Thats a shitload of connectors in a tiny little space(note the size of the pixels on the screen, those icons on the screen are probably half an inch in width, for comparison. You can also see the start of the black line on the screen.