Desktop Computers

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
It's not about hot-swapping as it is about putting those unused expansions slots to good use. I'm doing a m-itx build in a CM Elite 110 case and 2 of those will work wonderfully with 2 x 1 tb 2.5" raid 1 drives I was planning to use.

The case :
elite-110-369c0f666168dcb1cb173e3898281a00.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ocz was really the only game in town for the first few years, i still have 2, 30gb ocz vertex 2, in raid, it's be serviced twice, fails once a year. no it's not on my pc, or my wifes, or the htpc, it's in the bedroom htpc, that rarely gets turned on, still runs like a champ when it doesn't fail yearly.

all other computers have been replaced with either samsungs or corsairs, zero failure rate, oh and fuck raid0, will never do it again now that sata3 modern ssds are all highend now.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
At first I thought that caddy would let the drive connect into the PCI-E bus, at which point it's a ridiculously good product. Thinking about it now it's more than likely just an interface between SATA and PCI, so it's not gonna get the unbelievable speeds a PCI connected SSD gets.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
wat. It just allows you to use the empty case slots to hold 2.5'' drives, you still have to use sata cables to connect it....

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just bought myself a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

I hope it's a reasonable boost to my 180GB Intel 520 that's mostly full (80%).

Fadaar

That guy
Ewww TN panel. Think I'll wait another year or so until the IPS 4k's start coming down to affordable prices.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Apparently it's really good for a TN. Thinking about going to this one from my 5760x1080 setup, but I don't need the SSD. I bet it'll be cheaper soonish.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't have a 4k monitor but you can turn off AA on 4k, it's almost completely pointless unless you're sitting ontop of the damn thing. That gives you lots of your performance back.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
What kind of hardware are you guys running that 4k is even remotely possible to game on?
3x 780GTX SLI here. Runs most things at High/Ultra at 5760x1080 and (from what I've read) should do fine for 4K. Might have to tone down the settings a bit, though.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
So I'm thinking of either buying a new computer, building a new computer (no idea how but if the savings are there I'd be willing to learn) or upgrading from what I currently have.

This computer will be for gaming mostly, no video production/editing whatever jazz, just simple and bare bones. I'm also not looking for a rig that can play Crysis 8 (or whatever) in 1080p across 3 monitors while I steam in 1080p also.

My current computer was built by a friend and given to me for free some years ago.

Processor - AMD Phenom II x4 810 2.60GHz
Motherboard - Biostar TA790GX A3+
GPU - GeForce GT 740 2GB DDR3 128 bit
RAM - 8GB DDR3 (1333 MHz)
Power supply - 450 watt something or other
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Is this enough information for someone to give me some advice? I clearly don't know dick about this stuff and am looking for someone to tell me what to do other than "Go buy a $2000 computer."

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I'm thinking of either buying a new computer, building a new computer (no idea how but if the savings are there I'd be willing to learn) or upgrading from what I currently have.

This computer will be for gaming mostly, no video production/editing whatever jazz, just simple and bare bones. I'm also not looking for a rig that can play Crysis 8 (or whatever) in 1080p across 3 monitors while I steam in 1080p also.

My current computer was built by a friend and given to me for free some years ago.

Processor - AMD Phenom II x4 810 2.60GHz
Motherboard - Biostar TA790GX A3+
GPU - GeForce GT 740 2GB DDR3 128 bit
RAM - 8GB DDR3 (1333 MHz)
Power supply - 450 watt something or other
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Is this enough information for someone to give me some advice? I clearly don't know dick about this stuff and am looking for someone to tell me what to do other than "Go buy a $2000 computer."
your pc is pretty respectable

you have a decent enough cpu that works with a good motherboard and 8gb ram is great.

first, why do you want to upgrade, you never really stated a reason other than playing games, your pc will play modern games in low res with low textures just fine.

if you want to pretty it up, just upgrade your vid card.

quaid said new vid cards are coming out q4, so that usually drives the previous model down a notch.

honestly you could just go and spend 200bucks on a vid card and you'd be ready to go. (you "might" need a better power supply)

if you want to improve your boot/loading experience try a ssd for 200ish (you can buy the "kits" that let you move your current hard drive over to the ssd for a few bucks extra)

but no, that computer is not beyond salvagable.