Desktop Computers

Fadaar

That guy
Think I see a desktop upgrade in the near future for me. Need to get everything together before things like Witcher 3 start hitting.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
So the story so far..
Installed new gfx card and ssd in old pc. Worked fine.
Swapped out mobo/cpu.
Wont boot. By elimination worked out it was the ram. Now this is odd.
Mobo is a gigabyte ga z68x ud4 b3. Memeory is gskill 1600 stuff, 4x4gig.
I can use any combination of 1, 2 or 3 sticks in any combinstion of slots and pc recognises it all and boots fine. So its not the memory or any of the slots, memory also all worked in old mobo.
As soon as I stick in the 4th memory stick the pc starts to do power on then straight offf, over and over until I kill the power.
Ive played with the bios, manually put in ram timings and also tried defaults and auto. Nothing seems to work. 3 is max number that will allow it to boot.
Any thoughts?

Silence_sl

shitlord
Dimm voltage add more sorry on phone
That's usually the culprit when adding more than 2 sticks.

Take out all the sticks but one, make sure it boots properly.

Enter the BIOS...there's a section in there to adjust RAM voltage. Default is usually 1.5 volts. Go ahead and set it to 1.6 volts, reseat the other ram, and try booting.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Thanks, tried that and no change. Incremenrally upped voltage to 1.645 (1.65 and above is flagged red in bios). Still boots fine with three sticks, wont srart with 4.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'd RMA the mobo if you can. The odds of the mobo being defective are much higher than the ram being faulty.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I'm way past that stage. Its a mobo from my 2 year old spare pc. I'll live with 12gig until next year tghen see if I can convince the wife I need a new mobo.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Cheers, I did a bios update already. It's not even getting to windows to cause freezes, with 4th stick in the fans spin up for about 1 second then it reboots...over and over.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
No beeps during POST? Are you sure the sticks are all good?

In any case, it's not like 12GB is a small amount.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are there any issues when using dual-channel RAM with having different amounts in each channel? In his situation, he'll have 8GB in one and 4GB in the other. I've used different speeds of ram (1333 vs 1600mhz) mis-matched and been fine, but it was still the same overall amount of memory in each channel.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
No beeps. Just spins up for a second then reboots. Seems perfectly stable with 3 sticks in so I'll just leave it like that until I buy a new mobo.

Doesn't matter which 3 sticks I used or which 3 slots I stuck them in, same thing.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Interesting. But yeah, 3 sticks should do you fine for now, 12GB is enough RAM to do pretty much anything most people would do.

joeboo, mismatching number of sticks usually only results in (slightly) sub-optimal performance, unless you're running a real server platform that splits the bus through multiple CPUs. Then they need to match.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm looking at a new monitor, and so far the choice seems to be between the ASUS PB278Q and ViewSonic VP2770. Without being able to go look at the ASUS in person, I'm not sure how worried I should be about the PWM flicker. Is the ViewSonic going to be appreciably better for $200 more? Are there any other panels I should take a look at, or anything coming out soon that would be worth waiting for?

slowstang_sl

shitlord
I'm looking at a new monitor, and so far the choice seems to be between the ASUS PB278Q and ViewSonic VP2770. Without being able to go look at the ASUS in person, I'm not sure how worried I should be about the PWM flicker. Is the ViewSonic going to be appreciably better for $200 more? Are there any other panels I should take a look at, or anything coming out soon that would be worth waiting for?
I currently own a Asus VG248QE 144hz and would highly recommend it if you are looking for a great gaming monitor. Currently on sale for the lowest price I have seen yet.
24 ASUS VG248QE 144Hz 1ms LED 3D Monitor $215 w/ Visa Checkout + Free Shipping - Staples Deals, Coupons and Promos

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for that heads up. I ended up buying that ASUS VG248QE, and bought an ASUS GTX 970 with the savings.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
The next monitor I'm getting is going to be one of the Korean monitors. 27in for $300? No brainer.

Oldbased

> Than U