Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah im hearing its like 1 in five or so. Damn too bad im stuck at work, hope they dont patch this too quick. But its all over reddit so its inevitable.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bet they patch this one quick. It's raining exotics for me, and anyone can do it.

spronk

FPS noob
I bought 20 coins, farmed draksis for em all, and got 4 helmet engrams, 1 primary weapon, and 1 chest. It seems to be about a 20-25% drop rate from what I've read when you use the coin. The only real issue is how fast you can farm the engrams. Since the engrams all decode to 290 I don't think its that huge an issue, since blue engrams decode to higher levels.

Engrams can still decode cross class, I got a warlock helm on my titan. But I decoded like 8 helms and only one warlock item, so I think its a lot rarer. The game was also pretty good about giving me newer items, I'm just missing 1 titan helm now after all the decodes.

Exotic engrams always seem to decode to 290 and no higher or lower, so it doesn't really matter if you are doing it on your main or alt. I'm going to farm some more and put the engrams on my alts to try and get as many y2 items unlocked.

raid is open by the way, light 290. doesn't need anything special to unlock as far as I can tell, maybe just story mode. I went in solo, the first thing you gotta do is pick up 2 relics (can't attack anything then) so don't think anyone is gonna be soloing it soon. The first set of mobs seem to be light 280 so thats good!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ended up using a total of 45 coins;

Knucklehead Radar
Bellicose Empyrean (sharded that one)
Hereafter
4th Horseman
Suros Regime v2
Monte Carlo
Ruin Wings
Chest of Alpha Lupi (hunter)
Voidfang Vestments

Pretty nice haul, was hoping for that chain lightning AR or the warlock boots.

Edit: Btw, how do you get Antiquated Runes? Simple RNG as drops during the Court, or from lvlup packages from Eris?

Edit2: Eris is selling a legendary item called "Moldering Shard" for 2500 Glimmer, 15 Hadium Flakes, rank 5. It says it will grant extra rewards for killing Oryx in King's Fall if holding at least 20 of them. Going to guess you can get these via drops as well.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
/u/Deej_BNG
Well, good morning, Reddit!
I was just conferring with the Design Team about how Three of Coins is performing in the wild. It is their assessment, and yours as well, given the context of the dialogue here, that the drop rates are too damn high. For now, this will play in your favor...

You earned those coins. Have fun spending them. The Nine may be delighted that you're blowing them all now. As always, thanks for being an outstanding source of feedback and awareness. We like you just fine.
DeeJ, out.
So looks like we have it for a while at least. Probably will be patched come tues or something.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alright I hit 40. Now what.
Do all the quests. Gather up vast quantities of engrams, raise your light lvl*, using high light blues is just fine. Make sure to do the Gunsmith Test weapons to raise your rank with him so you can get your class weapons at rank 2 / rank 3. If you have Strange Coins buy those "3 of Coins" packs from Xur, find the easiest / quickest Ultra (mission / strike boss) that you can kill (use just one "3 of Coins" per kill) in hopes of getting some nice exotics.

*Two really good ways of raising light lvl fast are via Strike (lots and lots of them) where you just keep equipping the items you get from boss if they are higher lvl, then running it again. Also, just picking up engrams and having Cryptard decode them (one at a time, equip those that are higher, then decode another).

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Run strikes continuously. When you load up on engrams, head back to the Tower and decode them one at a time. Anytime you get an upgrade immediately equip it before you decode the next engram. Repeat ad nauseam. Slowly but surely your light level will increase. It actually goes pretty quickly.

Save up your legendary marks, the one thing I needed to buy was a ghost shell because it RNG wasn't kind to me and I couldn't get a decent one to drop. I bought the one off the Speaker (I'm a warlock). If you want you can buy other pieces, but you will outlevel them, so if you do make sure it's a piece you really want to keep and upgrade via the new system.

spronk

FPS noob
Ran the raid in a destinyLFG pug just now, we downed 2 bosses and then people had to leave. There are 4 bosses total I think including Oryx. There are a ton of jumping puzzles, which sucks because I suck at that shit. The bosses are meh so far, first "boss" is a door and second boss is a giant ... dude? Everything is light 280 and level 42 so far so 285+ should be just fine. I think some groups have already cleared the entire raid.

Get a group with mics and stuff, since there is a lot of cross talk that needs to happen. Its about 30 minutes to the first boss, maybe faster once everyone knows what to do.

also glad i leveled my titan first, they are essential to the first boss. without a bubble titan i think it'll be nearly impossible, and its 10x easier with two (or more) titans. very useful for second boss too. get a 290 saint 14 from an engram if you can, very useful. the loot we got started at 303 light at boss 1 and went up to 306 at boss 2.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Given the story revealed from the calcified fragments about the origin on the Hive, I find it kinda silly that 6 undead humans could defeat Oryx...

Fubarbox_sl

shitlord
I wasn't planning on taking advantage of the "higher than intended" drop rate when using the consumable, but since Bungie pretty much gave their consent and all, I figured why not. So I spent 21 strange coins and got 3 sets of the consumable (enough to kill the boss 15 times. I consumable per kill). After 15 kills I got the Warlock helm: The Stag, The Hunter gauntlets: Don't touch me, The titan chest: Crest of alpa lupi, and last (my favorite)... I got Hawkmoon. I have been trying to get this damn gun for the last year! ...In the end it was a good haul for 21 strange coins....Heck, the gun alone would have made it worth it to me. I am also happy that even after a year of waiting/anticipation, I like it just as much as I thought I would!

Also, I wanted to say that what others have said about equipping your highest light items (even if you do not like them) is the way to go for leveling your light. Especially when at the Cryptark. Since following the advice I have went from 230 to 275 light (only using the exotic primary from my exotic run) in about 5 hours of playing. I will no longer mass decrypt again! Fortunately, after having to wear a lot of garbage (that was higher light but I hated the stats), I now have a full set that actually has stats I like. Lets hope the trend continues.

I think what has me most excited/happy/content is that I am really digging this expansion. Mainly because this is the Destiny I thought I was buying a year ago and its finally here. I am even surprised by how many quests I have left and how new ones just keep popping up. Then there is the insane drop rate of Motes of light and Strange coins. In the last 3 days I have went from 60 motes and 29 strange coins (a record for me to have at once) to almost 300 motes and 100 strange coins. But as I type this I am realizing the next 2 DLC probably will not come close to how good this is...now I am a little sad lol

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Got to 293 light tonight. Farming court of oryx is definitely the way to go.

Anyone do the raid yet?

spronk

FPS noob
yeah killed 2 bosses in a pug its pretty hard, i don't think people are going to be pugging the last 2 bosses until they nerf it down. i can't even imagine how insane hard mode will be.

if you are light 280+ i'd say go for the raid in a pug or whatever, the first few bosses are really not too bad at all and very reminiscent of mmo raid mechanics

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I have the chain lightning AR maxed out and its super silly zapping shit. Also its great for clearing tons of little mobs because on double kills, it reloads itself so you just keep on going

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have the chain lightning AR maxed out and its super silly zapping shit. Also its great for clearing tons of little mobs because on double kills, it reloads itself so you just keep on going
That was the only gun I wanted to get yesterday when I used up all my SC's....got 1 Monte Carlo and ...4 Suros Regimes. =/