Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Is there much exploration 'off the beaten path' in this, and do you get rewarded for doing so (in the form of drops etc.)? Or do rewards just come when you complete missions etc.
You can explore off the mission area.

The game has several missions tied to each world, currently only the Earth is active (with the moon having one mission open last night).

However, the worlds are basically one map. So you are free to explore most of it even though your current mission tells you to go elsewhere. There are some closed doors/walled off areas that only open up when going there on an active mission. When entering those mission areas, you enter your own instance (with any group members if you have them). In the open world, you can encounter other players just running around too, they vanish if they enter one of their mission areas.

I think most worlds will probably come with a "explore" mission, like Earth has. This lets you roam most of the map, picking up small missions as you go. Kill x enemies, gather x items (from killing enemies) or scan area/item. Very run of the mill tasks.

PvP areas also share the same maps, the difference between the missions is basically the waypoint will point you to different areas of it.

Now, as to the rewards for going off the beaten path, they are fairly minimal. You can find dead ghosts (the little robots) to revive which gives you some points, or find chests with some money/items. However, as I said, most boss battles and items associated with them (reward as end of mission, not by drop of the mob) are tied to the missions and locked off. Even though you could explore a large area on the moon, you only had one mission. No bosses or drops other than the random loot that drops from any sort of enemy.

My experience seems to suggest very little, if any, incentive in exploring off the beaten path on regular missions in terms of loot. Most areas will be explored by doing the missions in order anyways. Chests/ghosts are best left to be found on the "explore" missions as you then can pick up the tasks along the way for getting extra rewards along the way. The worlds special events can activate on any mission, they all happen on set locations, no random events this far at least.

Note: this of course is from the early level planets. Maybe at higher levels there will be entire planets that are just "explore", where the boss battles are not locked off, and actually drop loot. Those planets might be more enjoyable, but I do share the concerns others have raised here about their very tight lipped approach to how much content there actually is.

Column_sl

shitlord
They can fix it easy, just have mobs have loot tables, and have Named mobs just like in EQ.

Then exploration will be rewarding because you might find that one area where that super rare spawn may be with a really rare weapon that is very low on his loot table.

It will also allow 3 man groups to clear out dungeuns out of strikes.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Played this last night for PS3.

I think I was expecting a world like Planestside 2, but the game's structure felt a lot more like Marvel Heroes to me.

Fubarbox_sl

shitlord
After playing a little on the moon, my excitement just keeps going up. The fact that I was very entertained with a character capped at 8 and very limited content (played 20hrs, basically any moment I was not taking care of my newborn lol) says tons to me about my impending addiction (still in denial that its currently a problem). With my schedule, I think there is enough PVE in this game to keep me busy exploring, gearing up, grinding factions, and so on for more than a few months. My only wish/worry hope involves PVP. I do just great in PVE, but for some reason none of my improvements are transitioning over to the PVP side of the game. So while I enjoy the PVP, I am pretty much a free kill in beta. I mean seriously my kill death goes from 77 to .58 lol. I just feel everyone in beta is on a pro shooter team. So I hope that come launch the matchmaking is working better/more efficient and puts players like me with others of like skill. It would be great to not just be a lamb being lead to the slaughter as I try to improve my skills.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Still pretty torn on this game - While I'm playing it, I enjoy it but feel like it's missing content. Decided to see what has been confirmed and what hasn't, and was pretty disappointed. Stolen from Neogaf/Reddit:

Deej's exact words, "We've revealed everything you're going to explore in the first version of the game."

"He later goes on to say that for release single explorable areas will be available on Earth, Moon, Mars, and Venus and possibly Jupiter as a "surprise" since he didn't mention it and you see it on the select-able map. They oversold us big time for what would be realistically possible upon release."

EDIT** It appears the Beta is "roughly 20%" of the final game.......

For me, the end game has be extremely deep for me to play longer than the initial 2-3 day level surge (lets be honest, probably 1 day for most us!). If Earth is any indication on the size/scope/activities on the other planets, I can't imagine having interest held for more than a few hour play sessions every week. Would love to be proven wrong on this, but every time I log in I feel like there is a system or something missing, or maybe I'm just playing the game "wrong".

Column_sl

shitlord
You are expecting too much, its not an mmo. Expect as much content as a Boderlands 2 with new expansions down the road.

No one hates borderlands, and it will have less content on release then Destiny with no multiplayer pvp.

They didn't over sell us on anything, your expectations are too high for a game that is not an MMO.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Disagree - if that is truly 20% of the release content, it's not just smaller than Borderlands II, but significantly so. The expectations were laid at our feet by the fucking developers years prior to this Beta. You're right though, it isn't an MMO (certainly not in execution) - but when you set expectations like this:Earth - Destiny Wiki Guide - IGNyou can't then get upset that people are disappointed in the final product. We're talking years and 100's of millions of dollars on developing this game.

Again, it's still too soon to pull out of the pre-orders but its definitely time to get concerned based on all the rumblings around the interwebs and what we've seen in the Beta. Though I imagine if you love the pvp in this game, the Beta has been a raging success - depends on your perspective.

Column_sl

shitlord
Where is this 20% content from the devs, link it.

The expectations were laid at our feet by the fucking developers years prior to this Beta.
What expectations where those exactly? They never once promised that this would be a full scale MMO. Please link me that article as well

Again, it's still too soon to pull out of the pre-orders but its definitely time to get concerned based on all the rumblings around the interwebs
And when it hits the number one game sold of all times can I quote that from you? the rumblings of Neogaf, and your 1 nerd friend doesn't count for a whole hell of allot.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I haven't pre-ordered yet but was close to doing it. Now I'm definitely waiting for reviews on the final product. I was pretty disappointed gravity is the same everywhere and now this crap. I read there might be only 1 raid. The game looks like another SFxTK where Bungie is going to try and nickel and dime us on DLC.

http://a.pomf.se/vnfhmj.webm

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everything I Know About Bungie??Ts Next First-Person Shooter, Destiny

It's also a sandbox world. You're free to move around and explore different planets or hang out in hub cities like Overwatch where you can find people gambling for better gear. There's a sandy Mars location and a snowy landscape of a buried city. Chicago is a swampland. Europe is a deadzone. Vines wrap around dilapidated buildings. The solar system is flecked with rubble and long abandoned fleets. You can fly through the rings of Saturn. The entire universe of Destiny-the solar system including the Earth, Moon, and Mars-is open to your expedition needs. Which brings us to my next point..
Oversold..

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I haven't pre-ordered yet but was close to doing it. Now I'm definitely waiting for reviews on the final product. I was pretty disappointed gravity is the same everywhere and now this crap. I read there might be only 1 raid. The game looks like another SFxTK where Bungie is going to try and nickel and dime us on DLC.

http://a.pomf.se/vnfhmj.webm
Ya, I'm sort of getting a Titanfall vibe from this - we'll see though, maybe they're purposefully holding out on us and will unleash the most epic $300m game of all time!

/fingers crossed

Column_sl

shitlord
LOL, that article is almost a year, and a half old.
If you were oversold from over a year ago, that is your fault for not keeping up with the news for the game..

Ya, I'm sort of getting a Titanfall vibe from this
jiFfM.jpg

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I really hope they have a pvp mode for no vehicles when it's released. I just leave when the moon map comes up anymore, shit's dumb.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Exactly,

while Borderlands is a RPG with FPS elements, Destiny is a FPS with RPG elements. That's what you do, you shoot stuff - and the shooting in this game feels perfect for the genre it's in. The horizontal progression with skills, gear, faction reputation and fluff like emblems, ships or grimoire score is a cherry on top to keep it as addictive as possible. IMO the story missions alone are worth the price (compared to for example Killzone single player, EASILY).

So far the game gets negs only for being a bit to "generic" at times: generic chests in generic caves with endless spawns of generic mobs and lot's of wasted space, since exploring doesn't reward you much.

Once i get a few more buds to get a PS4 to play co-op, i don't think i need another game anytime soon.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been following this game for a while and my initial impression is : what a huge pile of horse shit. I know some of you are drinking bungies piss like its ambrosia but with all the videos i saw of the betas, *nothing* looks innovative or outside the box. It actually looks tailored perfectly to make the halo kids (now rebelious adolescent) happy. I just hoped we would see different combat mechanics in 2014 for fps other than the same old cover, shoot, wait for mob heads to pop out of cover, pewpew, with the same fuckin sound effects of halo. Ill be waiting reviews because i just dont see the game being remotely interesting after a week or 2. This multi millions project looks like a mod. Then again, the target audience of console players dont even know what a mod is.

Morning rant /sip of coffee.

Fubarbox_sl

shitlord
EDIT** It appears the Beta is "roughly 20%" of the final game.......
Evan Nikolich
@EvanNikolich

The Destiny Alpha is less than 10% of the game's content, and it amazes me people just keep on playing it.
9:48 AM - 15 Jun 2014

I love the game, but I agree that they really set expectations way too high (I would even say misleading to a certain extent) if the above quote is true (what we have seen is 20% of the game). I am basing that opinion on a June 16, 2014 tweet (above) by Designer Evan Nikolich: I played alpha and if beta is over 10% of what we experienced in it, they need to work on some math skills. As far as I have noticed, everything is almost 100% the same besides the tiny bit of the moon we played and a couple of PVP things. Disappointed till more info is released. I will still get the game though because it is fun, just hoped for more and taking what a dev says at face value is not to much to expect by any means. I know its not an mmo.