Devs

velk

Trakanon Raider
This was pretty weird. It was ok i guess, but didn't really work as whole I think.

Offerman could pull off the slow, portentous speech but no-one else could, which made them all sound kind of ridiculous.

The rants about tech CEOs also seemed weirdly out of place, particularly the Messiah comparisons. Forrest's actions were 100% selfish and not ever presented as saving anyone or making life better for anyone else.

His plan also didn't really make much sense - absent Lily, what was he going to do ? Run the world's most expensive version of The Sims and spend all day watching it ?

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was pretty weird. It was ok i guess, but didn't really work as whole I think.

Offerman could pull off the slow, portentous speech but no-one else could, which made them all sound kind of ridiculous.

The rants about tech CEOs also seemed weirdly out of place, particularly the Messiah comparisons. Forrest's actions were 100% selfish and not ever presented as saving anyone or making life better for anyone else.

His plan also didn't really make much sense - absent Lily, what was he going to do ? Run the world's most expensive version of The Sims and spend all day watching it ?

His plan was always to inject himself into the machine and live with his daughter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ending was meh. Not the epic failure I was expecting. I'm pretty sure this idea has been explored before in a Twilight Zone episode. This guy took a 30 minute idea and turned it into an 8 episode show.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
DEUS

Oh well, okay then.

Yeah...until someone trips over the power cord.

That simulation is running a simulation, and that simulation is running a simulation, etc. and on and on. The US senator lady is now running the prime simulation. If you take the shows premise that all those people inside the simulation are really alive...the moment the senator pulls the plug she just killed off more lives than Thanos.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
So was this worth watching? I can pass on it?

Did you see Annihilation? If you loved that movie this is going to be right up your alley.

If you hated it then I would stay away from this. This show had some ideas that were cool but it stretched them way out. Had a good soundtrack though. Personally I'd skip watching this and just fire up Crosby Stills and Nash - 'Guinevere' and listen to that instead.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fat12

Trakanon Raider
So was this worth watching? I can pass on it?

I personally liked Ex Machina a lot (I think it worked so well because of it's limited scope, and it's a pretty simplistic story)
I liked Annihilation quite a bit, saw in theaters twice, although it had pretty solid source material.

Devs I think just tried being too much, too philosophical, too cryptic, which was why the ending for me was particularly silly, things felt like they wrapped themselves up way too easily. This isn't even mentioning some really shitty acting from the lead actress.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I personally liked Ex Machina a lot (I think it worked so well because of it's limited scope, and it's a pretty simplistic story)
I liked Annihilation quite a bit, saw in theaters twice, although it had pretty solid source material.

Devs I think just tried being too much, too philosophical, too cryptic, which was why the ending for me was particularly silly, things felt like they wrapped themselves up way too easily. This isn't even mentioning some really shitty acting from the lead actress.

She literally moped through the whole season. To be fair either she's the world's best actress or just really that empty and vapid in real life, because she sold it completely.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
She literally moped through the whole season. To be fair either she's the world's best actress or just really that empty and vapid in real life, because she sold it completely.

And the character she was playing was Neo, she was the one who could re-write the simulation. What a waste of a character. They should have had more Forrest/Nick Offerman.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I liked it, but wouldn't watch twice kinda like.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Finished it today and loved it. The whole thing is right up my alley and couldn't even be ruined by the aggressively, almost purposefully, bad acting by the female lead. Everyone acting around her was fantastic and she was just like Brie Larson in the middle of it, but somehow even worse.

I particularly like playing out the implications of the choice Lily made and what that means in the actual (many) world(s).

• 1Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished it. Meh.

I enjoyed Sunshine, Dredd, Ex Machina, and Annihilation.

This one is a miss from Alex Garland for me.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Just got around to watching this. I really, really enjoyed this up until the final episode. The final ep wasn't bad, but I guess I had the expectation that there was going to be some grand, mind-fuck reveal. I had suspected (and this could still be the case) that they were already in a simulation (either the Deus simulation or some kind of larger ancestor simu). Note that there's a scene at the beginning of episode 5 where it shows Lyndon sitting at the bottom of that dam. So there was some version of him that chose not to balance himself on the ledge.

Some really cool scenes too: the fuzzy video of Christ on the cross, view of Earth and moon from one billion years ago, and where they project one second into the future and the team was looking at themselves and reacting to it. I thought those were really well done.

Devs is a good, intelligent, sci-fi series that I think faltered a bit at the end.

Also, and as someone else mentioned, great soundtrack.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone got a decent quality zip of this they can send me? I need it for research purposes.