Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I don't completely agree with it, but I do understand the concept of that. Diablo 2 felt a little overly complex and you could even make a broken toon. Same was true in Titan Quest. I had a toon that was badass until the hardest difficulty then it was just not possible to continue.

Diablo 3 simplified all that by tying in the strength of the toon completely into the gear. Also, you could do butcher inferno runs to gear up. It was quite fun and i felt the retooling worked.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I don't completely agree with it, but I do understand the concept of that. Diablo 2 felt a little overly complex and you could even make a broken toon. Same was true in Titan Quest. I had a toon that was badass until the hardest difficulty then it was just not possible to continue.

Diablo 3 simplified all that by tying in the strength of the toon completely into the gear. Also, you could do butcher inferno runs to gear up. It was quite fun and i felt the retooling worked.
Diablo didn't solve that by itemization, they solved that by allowing you to respec on the fly. In which world did you gear up by doing butcher on inferno ? Because for the longest time act I was farmed simply because people couldn't get through the pain that was act II, act III and IV were superior for farming until they fixed mob density. I won't even talk about getting lvl 58-59 rares which were just trash in A1. Anyone new will gear up by doing 1.07 crafting recipes anyway. You just grinded and then bought upgrades on AH.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They should have given those death-squirting flies in Act 2 Iron Maiden. Just as a giant Fuck You Melee sign.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Diablo didn't solve that by itemization, they solved that by allowing you to respec on the fly. In which world did you gear up by doing butcher on inferno ? Because for the longest time act I was farmed simply because people couldn't get through the pain that was act II, act III and IV were superior for farming until they fixed mob density. I won't even talk about getting lvl 58-59 rares which were just trash in A1. Anyone new will gear up by doing 1.07 crafting recipes anyway. You just grinded and then bought upgrades on AH.
You could do a really bad stat allocation on top of talent tree butcherings. I got enough stuff from butcher runs to get into act 2 and then 3 and then 4.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They could haven given each class one stat that was useless to them, like Intelligence is not good for Barbs but Str/Dex/Vit are good.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
They could haven given each class one stat that was useless to them, like Intelligence is not good for Barbs but Str/Dex/Vit are good.
Or a better option would be to pick 4 aspects of each characters performance and tie that to a stat. These aspects would have to be functionally different. Not all adding to damage or all adding to survival. But each one would enhance each class, just differently.

Str: increases melee and some physical skills,
Dex: increases movement and physical projectiles,
Int: increases some skills, magical projectiles and some resource pools,
Vit: increases Health, Resists and some resource pools.

The player then chooses what becomes their primary stat by deciding which aspects they want to emphasize. This could result in Int barbs and strength sorcerers, but so long as there are skills and builds that are enhanced by these choices, it simply creates many new ways to play a character.

I think pure stats should have been stripped off of gear and only have been found on gems. Gear should contain all other non stat modifiers. This frees gear up considerably. Now you would look for modifiers that support your skills and build, then socket it to make it reflect what stats you desire.

It's important to see modifiers that multiple skills and classes would want to utilize. This could be done by modifiers that apply to the types of actions a player can make. Shoot a projectile, move, block, take damage, heal, spend a resource.

It is important to create similar modifiers that heavily compliment one another. Like a modifier that increases fire damage, one that increases the chance fire damage burns enemies, one that lowers enemy fire resist and one that increases duration or intensity of burn effects. This way, getting an item with one of those modifiers is useful, getting an item roll with all of them is godly.

Some Legendary weapons should have unique modifiers that open up entirely new playstyles and skill options not found anywhere else. Flip flopping health and resources values, projectiles going through enemies, granting unique skills only found on that weapon ect.

Thing is, Itemization IS the game in Diablo after the first playthrough. The higher difficulty levels only exist to extend the item acquisition process. For them to screw it up this hard is just mind bottling. I mean what they hell were they doing if not making a robust loot system. Working on the story?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Str: increases melee and some physical skills,
Dex: increases movement and physical projectiles,
Int: increases some skills, magical projectiles and some resource pools,
Vit: increases Health, Resists and some resource pools.
This is so vague. How would you apply them in a way that's consistent to the player?

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
This is so vague. How would you apply them in a way that's consistent to the player?
The biggest problem is the lack of a separate resource to increase skills effectiveness. In Diablo and Diablo 2 you had skill points. And you could derive almost all of your damage from certain skills, which made those builds love +skill items.

There is no additional resource in D3. It's all weapon DPS. The two should really be somewhat divorced from each other.

I think stats should increase skill effectiveness based on what rune is applied to that skill. So apply one rune to a skill and it now increases damage off of strength, use a different run and it's now int based. So to utilize a certain skill rune option you would want a decent amount of that stat. However, most skills should have some utility to them so they can still be useful even with a very low stat investment. This situation may see people mixing and matching different stats to hit certain rune benefits, instead of maxing only one stat.

Weapon dps is a function of ilevel. The higher the level item, the more dps it does. Not all skills utilize weapon damage to calculate their effectiveness. The ones that do require weapon damage are often restricted to certain types of weapons. (requires a bow, a melee weapon, a dagger ect.)

So a player picks their skills, sets up their runes to alter the skills to their liking, picks gear that supports their skills with the best modifiers and, if using weapon based skills, the highest ilevel weapon of the appropriate type; then sockets in the stat gems that they feel will support their skills the best.

Legendary/ Unique equipment would offer new rune like effects that alter existing skills or confer brand new skills.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
The biggest problem is the lack of a separate resource to increase skills effectiveness. In Diablo and Diablo 2 you had skill points.
Pretty sure Blacksmithing, lockpicking, and staff restores were all max level at level 1 in Diablo :p

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Completed an Survey I received via E-mail, was very in depth and I got to speak my mind. Get it done people!

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Pretty sure Blacksmithing, lockpicking, and staff restores were all max level at level 1 in Diablo :p
And Spells all came from books... yeah I messed that up. Stacking int and an Archangels staff was the way to go for spells. Although everyone could use spells, I think the sorcerer was the only one who could get a mana pool substantial enough to not suck.

And yet, itemization in that game was still somewhat better than D3. Mostly because there were only three types of characters. Everyone liked resists, hp and/or mana and armor. Strength dex and int were basically the only stats that were class focused I think.

ohmgee_sl

shitlord
This was from an interview on Diablo fans

• There will be no runewords in Reaper of Souls. Or runes as knew them in Diablo II for that matter. At least for now
  • The communication options, like chat and Battle.net, are a 'big focus' in Reaper of Souls
  • There will not be a new Follower in the expansion, instead the current Followers will be expanded upon, with things like story-driven side-quests
  • There is still nothing decided on PvP, but it doesn't seem it will come with Reaper of Souls' launch
  • Adding Sockets will not be added and instead the Mystic should fill the hole of item customization
  • Players will be able to chose which stat to reroll on an item. An example being given with Intelligence on a Barbarian legendary and selecting "that one stat"
  • The only changes possibly coming to the Auction House are increasing the gold bid cap, but there are technical and legal difficulties to that
  • Movement Speed will likely have its cap increased as it's being added to the stats affected by Paragon Points
  • There will be no second class in the expansion
  • More about the game's basic difficulty at BlizzCon

This expansion feels more like a patch with how little it adds

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
This was from an interview on Diablo fans

• There will be no runewords in Reaper of Souls. Or runes as knew them in Diablo II for that matter. At least for now
  • The communication options, like chat and Battle.net, are a 'big focus' in Reaper of Souls
  • There will not be a new Follower in the expansion, instead the current Followers will be expanded upon, with things like story-driven side-quests
  • There is still nothing decided on PvP, but it doesn't seem it will come with Reaper of Souls' launch
  • Adding Sockets will not be added and instead the Mystic should fill the hole of item customization
  • Players will be able to chose which stat to reroll on an item. An example being given with Intelligence on a Barbarian legendary and selecting "that one stat"
  • The only changes possibly coming to the Auction House are increasing the gold bid cap, but there are technical and legal difficulties to that
  • Movement Speed will likely have its cap increased as it's being added to the stats affected by Paragon Points
  • There will be no second class in the expansion
  • More about the game's basic difficulty at BlizzCon

This expansion feels more like a patch with how little it adds
thats incredibly weak.... will not buy thats a lame ass content patch.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
This is sickening. You idiots are still gonna be tripping all over yourselves trying to be at the midnight release to shell over your $50.