Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd prefer they just balance sockets so they aren't mandatory. I mean the highest a weapon rolls CD is like 35%. Why the hell do emeralds give 130%?

My assumption is they can't retroactively nerf old gems so they just made the new gems scale at a lesser rate

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sockets just need to be sockets. Required affixes are bad, even ones like +damage(not percent) on weapons. Though, no one bitches about that one because they (wisely?) required all weapons to roll with that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
2 handers should be able to roll 70-100 crit as an affix, rather than 30-35. And they should probably all have 5 primaries.

Then Heavenly Strength should reduce crit damage by 30% instead of 15% movespeed.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Sockets just need to be sockets. Required affixes are bad, even ones like +damage(not percent) on weapons. Though, no one bitches about that one because they (wisely?) required all weapons to roll with that.
Yep. How did someone look at the +min/+max damage rolls on weapons, revamp that, and not do the same for gems?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They should give 2 handers a guaranteed socket with a chance to roll another socket or at least an innate crit damage modifier so people will actually use half of the items the dev team worked SO SUPER hard to design.
There are many suggestions to "fix" 2handers that skirt the issue of sockets on weapons still being too strong. If they give 2handers a second socket they most likely force anyone that's not dual wielding into 2handers. They should just nerf gem effects on weapons or make weapons not have any sockets - that opens up gear choice instead of taking them away due to OP crit gems. I'd go for a quick and easy fix and change the gems to provide the same effect on weapons that they do on armor and be done with it. Of course they can put in more development time for a more elaborate solution, but it needs to be adressed.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Does anyone not use a crit dam green gem in a weapon? If the system has become an IQ check where is is certain that you want a socket above all else and furthermore that you want a green gem in that socket then there is a big problem.

niss_sl

shitlord
I used a ruby in my weapon on my pet WD b/c crit damage didn't do anything for pets. Then they fixed it and back to emerald.

They should just leave the sockets but equalize it with other mods by nerfing the emerald gem. Whatever you put into a socket should be fairly equivalent to other stats you can roll on the weapon (+stats, IAS, LOH etc). Then it'll be a matter to just picking what your character needs, rather than just always needing a socket.

Meko

I would like to see crit gems go away and instead make them elemental based ie purple = thunder, ruby = fire (maybe add some prismatic types that enhance specific skills) etc. Also, I think 2h weapons should roll double sockets but I guess the crit gem would need to go away first because it would likely make crits so broken (based on scale) that the 2h weapons would trump most other weapons.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Gems just need to go away, period

Runes like in D2 however, need to be added in ASAP but if they have no intention of that then sockets need to go too

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I'd love to see crot gems and or weapon sockets go away, but alas it is a blizzard game. They need to have huge numbers flying all over our screens

Tenks

Yeah gem inflation is kind of silly at the moment. Your leg and chest spot have to roll with 2 and 3 sockets or be able to be re-rolled into 2/3 sockets.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah gem inflation is kind of silly at the moment. Your leg and chest spot have to roll with 2 and 3 sockets or be able to be re-rolled into 2/3 sockets.
Yep. They need to just remove sockets as affixes and have helm/legs/chest/ weapons always have them or just kill them completely

Tenks

That may just be covering up the bullet wound, though. The primary cause is that your primary stat rolls are so locked in and some rolls just get overshadowed by gems. Like on my legs. Do I want to roll +100 RA or do I want 2 sockets which can add up to over 100 RA? Obvious choice here. This also brings up the issue of the gems not being equal. +100 RA is the top-end roll. Flawless royal goes up to +78 RA. So a single socket here is worth 78% of a primary roll. But for your primary stat it can roll up in the 500 range. Flawless royal can add 280 primary. So that is only a bit over 50% of the roll. I'm not sure how this stuff go through design.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Re work 2 handers not to be total shit even after removing sockets, their damage is still way too low.
No, 2H damage isn't too low. The 15% attack speed that DWing offers isn't what makes 1H so much more effective. The extra 130% CD from a second socket is what does that. You have to either nerf sockets, nerf gems, or nerf both. Once they do that, 2H will still be the favored weapon inmostcases, purely from a DPS standpoint.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That may just be covering up the bullet wound, though. The primary cause is that your primary stat rolls are so locked in and some rolls just get overshadowed by gems. Like on my legs. Do I want to roll +100 RA or do I want 2 sockets which can add up to over 100 RA? Obvious choice here. This also brings up the issue of the gems not being equal. +100 RA is the top-end roll. Flawless royal goes up to +78 RA. So a single socket here is worth 78% of a primary roll. But for your primary stat it can roll up in the 500 range. Flawless royal can add 280 primary. So that is only a bit over 50% of the roll. I'm not sure how this stuff go through design.
The obvious answer is you want both RA and sockets on legs because fuck builders. On that tangent, I love how just about every endgame build(for all classes) centers around casting a builder as least as possible or not even speccing one. Blizzard has to be aware of this and I wonder if it annoys them that they worked to try to force this boring dichotomy and the playerbase keeps finding ways around it.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
The obvious answer is you want both RA and sockets on legs because fuck builders. On that tangent, I love how just about every endgame build(for all classes) centers around casting a builder as least as possible or not even speccing one. Blizzard has to be aware of this and I wonder if it annoys them that they worked to try to force this boring dichotomy and the playerbase keeps finding ways around it.
Unsurprisingly the class with the worst builders and lowest natural resource regen hasoneviableendgame damage option that involves removing resource use entirely. Short of getting an ungodly amount of cooldown reduction.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So in my attempt to get T&T gloves from Kadala I rolled a pretty decent Magefist from her last night. Brings my fire damage up to 49%. Makes me think that even if I get T&T, it would be a DPS drop from 19% fire damage.

I really wish there was room in the build for Searing Locusts now with so much fire damage that I have, but I love the dogs for a meatshield, Wrathful Protector crits for 35 million, so that's pretty awesome. Fetish Army "melts" (subjective term!) bosses. Spirit Walk? That'd be my choice, but just my luck I'd get stuck in a frozen and wish I had it again.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Unsurprisingly the class with the worst builders and lowest natural resource regen hasoneviableendgame damage option that involves removing resource use entirely. Short of getting an ungodly amount of cooldown reduction.
Barbs are probably just as bad, but they have much more flexibility on freeing themselves from builders. 6 piece Akkhan might also allow for no builder, but I'm not sure if 50% off wrath cost is enough.

Tenks

If not for Reaper's Wraps it would be a real chore to play Barb. I would have probably switched to my Wizard if the item didn't exist. Even 3pc IK makes Fury scarce without Wraps.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I thought it was 4pc IK that was the fury godsend.

You can do it without leapquakes or 4pc IK or Reaper's Wraps(but these are easy to get now). Your build is just incredibly restrictive and has to be almost completely geared towards fury gen outside of a builder.

None of this, excepting maybe leapquakes, solves the problem that barb spenders are bleh.