Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Barbs are probably just as bad, but they have much more flexibility on freeing themselves from builders. 6 piece Akkhan might also allow for no builder, but I'm not sure if 50% off wrath cost is enough.
Just realizing now (late to the party) that Crusaders don't have a lvl 60 set, which is the one with 3 piece = resource regen for every other class. Kind of a nice option to have in the intermediate when you need at minimum 5 pieces of a Torment-only set and a RORG to be efficient with Wrath.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I thought it was 4pc IK that was the fury godsend.

You can do it without leapquakes or 4pc IK or Reaper's Wraps(but these are easy to get now). Your build is just incredibly restrictive and has to be almost completely geared towards fury gen outside of a builder.

None of this, excepting maybe leapquakes, solves the problem that barb spenders are bleh.
Yes 4pc + fury gen COTA gives a bunch of Fury. Possibly enough to move away from Wraps. But it gives a ton of fury because it interacts so well with the 3pc bonus which also makes Unforgiving generate a bunch of resource. But like you said true "end-game" barbs want Leapquake set not IK. It is simply better damage output.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just realizing now (late to the party) that Crusaders don't have a lvl 60 set, which is the one with 3 piece = resource regen for every other class. Kind of a nice option to have in the intermediate when you need at minimum 5 pieces of a Torment-only set and a RORG to be efficient with Wrath.
They only have one level 70 set either. But, tbf, sets seem to be hit or miss with Blizzard. All 3 of the monk ones blow. So I'm glad they at least got Akkhan correct, even if it's not that creative.

Crusaders are still in beta, essentially.

Tenks

Heh I never really looked at those charts of most popular builds but I'm somewhat shocked that the build I (and it looks like most barbarians) landed on is basically the same. Only main difference is I use Grim Harvest instead of WW + Wind Shear. Which I may do because it sounds interesting for clearing trash.

I'm also convinced Grim Harvest fucks with the internal "must drop legendary" counter because I seem to get a ton of legendaries out of chests and shit when I run with Grim Harvest.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Barb Permanent 50% Damage Reduction:

1. Wear IK Set
2. Cast Call of Ancients with the Together as One rune
3. Wear whatever gear and skill you want instead of IK and CoA, and damage buff remains
4. ???
5. Profit

Also I hear if you swap fast enough you can keep the ancients out as well--that is if you swap back from your IK set before the CoA casting animation ends. Someone give it a shot and let me know

Tenks

Heh would be interesting but I find efficient farming is generally limited to my DPS potential than my survivability. Even if I took 0% damage in T5 it wouldn't be efficient to farm there I wouldn't think. Though I suppose you could have a DPS-only set of gear to swap on where you roll off VIT for damage stats.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's because you're using something like WW to clear trash. 275%/s AE damage isn't that great. The rest of the barb spenders aren't much better. I tried making a barb build that included rend, ww, and rltw to try to bring AE dps up to the levels of other classes(like a fire monk can sustain VCK indefinitely) and it just turned into this disjointed button press mess.

Tenks

RLTW does terrible damage. I think mine was literally ticking for 50k damage. Probably even less. I can't recall off the top of my head. I think the idea is WW+Shear+3pcIK makes it a fury gainer all of a sudden. So you just blast through trash with that while gaining fury to HOTA any mob that requires a bit more attention. But with HOTA + Bloodshed I've found it's ability to clear rooms is pretty respectable. I will try out WW this evening though.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Also I hear if you swap fast enough you can keep the ancients out as well--that is if you swap back from your IK set before the CoA casting animation ends. Someone give it a shot and let me know
Looks like it works. Ancients still out after swapping when I immediately switched the chest while casting. Still out when cooldown's up without a single piece of IK on.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
RLTW does terrible damage. I think mine was literally ticking for 50k damage. Probably even less. I can't recall off the top of my head. I think the idea is WW+Shear+3pcIK makes it a fury gainer all of a sudden. So you just blast through trash with that while gaining fury to HOTA any mob that requires a bit more attention. But with HOTA + Bloodshed I've found it's ability to clear rooms is pretty respectable. I will try out WW this evening though.
RLTW ticks for 20%, 3x a second. You can stack 2+ on a mob, but that really only adds to the annoyance of a WW build. It was more of a "well, I already have sprint for mobility, so why not RLTW too?"

WW + Shear, at default attack speeds, is a fury gainer I think with 4+ mobs. The mechanics are all here:

Game mechanics by Nubtro

But the short of it is that WW is not exactly intuitive. It's all in there, so I won't bother repeating the formula. Basically, WW + Wind Shear, it's actually good to stack IAS. I'm still dubious you're going to be blowing through trash with WW though. I can do more damage with one shield toss, easily. And this isn't just crusader bias, a lot of AE spells hit for much harder and are semi sustainable.

I agree with you on hota + bloodshed. Might need to get wraps to sustain that much hammering though.

Tenks

But I don't think that takes into account the IK bonus. Basically everytime you get fury you get fury + 2. So Shear gives you 1 fury. Generally nothing. But with 3IK you are getting 3 fury. Works the same with Unforgiving where if you stand around you can get to full fury rather quickly.

-edit-

Looking at the SS maybe I was mistaken. 3pcIK is just +2fury/s flat. So that + Unforgiving is basically just +4fury/s.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
WW seems to be crap for anything other than positioning at the moment (probably fine for normal-mode bounties as well). The only thing that made it viable as a damage ability was pre-nerf SoH. Even with 70% lightning, wind shear isn't hitting for anything- and now it doesn't proc anything. With ~100 fire, volcanic eruption doesn't hit for enough to do noticeable damage compared to HOTA/seismic/boulder toss. Even on T1, fire WW doesn't deal with trash fast enough- and the AE is tiny. Hurricane would be an interesting rune to stack stuff up but it appears to be governed by the 13% proc rate and/or has a severe ICD so it barely ever actually pulls mobs.

It's a shame because I really want to make whirlwind work, but it always feels like a waste of a slot. I wish our class weapon set (bul kathos) actually did something to make WW different instead of having a crappy ww-like proc. Jealous of the DH vault set which both has a better set bonus and each weapon has an additional bonus.

Tenks

Yeah I think my Shear WW was hitting in the 2M range per tick. Volcanic Eruption was like 3.5M or something. Kind of stupid to use it when HOTA hits for 15M routinely.

Agree Bul Kathos modifying WW is some way would be interesting. Like remove the speed penalty and increase the radius. Maybe just remove the speed penalty and give the Hurricane rune.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Check out my link, it has the answer to your Hurricane question(1s ICD if you can't view it at work). This Nubtro guy tests for shit you either didn't think of or don't have the patience to. If you play barbarian, it's worth a read.

The pull in is essentially useless because you end up WWing stragglers for seconds upon seconds. The demoralize rune is MUCH better at bunching up mobs. They need to change Hurricane to something like all mobs within X yards, then jack up the ICD.

Tenks

Yeah I bookmarked the link. Will be a quick reference if I have any mechanics questions. Thanks.

Juvarisx

Florida
As of 45 minutes ago

" #780 45 minutes ago
Dankorii
Hey folks,

Our network admins believe that they have found the cause of this latency issue. No more tracerts or pathpings are needed at the moment. For the time being, we ask that you please let us know if you are still experiencing high latency. "

Here's hoping I guess

Needless

Toe Sucker
I can't wait until they fix their latency issues.. it really makes it hard to want to play, i couldn't imagine playing hardcore in the games current state

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So one of you math dudes help me out here. I got a chest piece that has +15% to Haunt damage. Now Haunt already does 4000% weapon damage, over 12 seconds. So to me, 15% seems like junk. Maybe just a mind trick... 4000 vs 15.

But maybe it's 15% more of the 4000%? Not 4015%? I think this is where you dudes talk about multiplicative versus additive.

I mean, 15% to Firebomb damage sounds sweet. It's base is 155% so another 15% seems like a big deal. Not so much when the base you are starting from is 4000%.
frown.png