Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
There's a few ways to level a char with RoS, including story, but no one plays the story more than once cause it has shit density and stupid unskippable scripted events all over and shit like that. Mostly people do rifts, randomized dungeons with a rift boss at the end(either variations of existing story bosses like Rakanoth, or original bosses). You can also level doing bounties if you prefer, which are like quests, you get 5 per act, generated randomly from a pool of like 50-100 per act or whatever the actual number is, generally are like "complete x event" or "kill this rare + x amount of mobs in the zone". Complete 5 and you get a box with some bounty only legendaries and shit like crafting plans, bloodshards(currency to gamble on legendaries) and legendary crafting material to use in the cube/craft legendaries.

Both fall under adventure mode, which is like the story world, but not split per act, you can move freely to any zone on the map and farm anything, do the bounties there or open a rift in town.

The main issue is most of the good features in the game are RoS only by now. Playing vanilla feels kinda like shit. Less shit than it used to be, arguably, but still kinda shit.
This is the kind of info I was asking for. Thanks a bunch
smile.png
Also, does holding onto an unidentified item until a later level increase its level ? Or is it based on the level you were when you found it?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh yeah on legendaries what you asked earlier, legendaries have a minimum level to drop, so at lower levels there's less of them so you're more likely to get 2 of the same. Every legendary level is scaled to the level you are when it drops however, starting from its minimum level and up to cap. A very large part of the legendaries are 70 though, and similar for the sets. That's another reason why vanilla is shit, it's lacking most of the gear that makes the builds.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure how playable D2 is these days w/o xpak. I usually gave it a go once a year and Hell mode is a brick wall. And not because of difficulty.
Full clear of River+CS on Nightmare and I have to repair my weapon once or twice. Switch to Hell and I have to repair it TWICE just to kill a pack of stone skin zombies outside the act1 camp. It's almost like every hit removes one durability.
There was a bunch of changes they pushed to D2 in that patch when they nerfed CS (removed IM) that should've remained xpak-mode only (vanilla has no indestructibles, runewords, charms to reduce the suck factor of those changes).

Speaking of D3, do NOT play vanilla D3. If you can justify giving them more $$$, then buy the xpak. Otherwise do not play D3.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Haha damn. Wish I'd known about difficulty levels. I didn't realize you could tinker with them so easily at any level. I was just roflstomping everything on normal on Witch Doctor and finally it got to the point where I could never use my AoE that increased my movement speed because my pets killed everything on screen too quickly and a friend told me about how I could raise it. So I changed it two levels up to Expert, but that felt like it made zero difference except now sometimes I'd see my life go to 90% from time to time. But by this point I was already storming through mid act 3 so I didn't change it until I got to Diablo and he was still super easy. Ended up killing Diablo at level 52 on Torment 2 lol. I have no idea how to use my skills properly or how to build my items. Level up almost too fast because you don't get to experiment with all your abilities. Any Witch Doctor tips?

And yeah obviously it'd be dumb to play it at level 60 without xpac, but I had fun going thru the story again, even if it only took like 4 hours. I'll probably get the xpac as I'm having fun and it is pretty cheap on most cdkey websites. Just need to remember which website I used safely before. Edit: nm it's only $20 which to me feels like 12 dollars since I'm in ? land, just bought it official. Now to wrap my head around it.

Just play Overwtach, don't buy RoS.
I love Overwatch, but it can't be my only game. It is the kind of game I have to step away from from time to time. And I also feel a huge amount of pressure when you are in a premade with 5 others and you are rolling with like a 75% winrate and the games just keep coming one after another for hours without any breaks. It's like fuck, it's so fast paced. You can't just step away for a few minutes or chill. You don't want to be that one person out of 6 that needs a break every hour. My usual group of about 12 people (different people sub in at different times) will literally play for 6 hours nonstop without a break and we always find match after match immediately. If someone needs a break they leave and are replaced and you don't know if you'll get your spot back so you feel pressured to keep playing, that's my own oddity though. It's intense. Also, can't play Overwatch during the weekend's because I'm at my gf's and her comps can't handle it and aren't 64bit.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Can't edit my post for some reason. It's coming up all blank. Is there an ideal follower for a Witch Doctor?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The ideal follower for everyone is the Templar. There's only one build that doesn't use the templar as far as I know, and that's the low life FoK DH build, since you don't want any healing so you can stay at low life.

Skills are like, heal, charge, regen and ressource(or if you don't need ressource, the 2nd heal I think it's that tier). You want these because the followers damage scale like garbage, while the templar provides decent survivability gains from the healing+life regen, the charge is a nice aoe stun and he'll often stun rift bosses as soon as they move away from him and ressource is great on most builds.

And yeah leveling is fast, the game is basically similar to wow where the leveling is super fast and easy, as I said on new seasons people hit lvl 70 in like 3-4hours(if you take your time and you're solo it's more like 5-6, but still). Entire game is at max level, which is why playing without RoS is fairly pointless. Also RoS adds more story and shit. Not the best story but I think it's better than the original, and the zones are pretty cool.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The ideal follower for everyone is the Templar. There's only one build that doesn't use the templar as far as I know, and that's the low life FoK DH build, since you don't want any healing so you can stay at low life.

Skills are like, heal, charge, regen and ressource(or if you don't need ressource, the 2nd heal I think it's that tier). You want these because the followers damage scale like garbage, while the templar provides decent survivability gains from the healing+life regen, the charge is a nice aoe stun and he'll often stun rift bosses as soon as they move away from him and ressource is great on most builds.

And yeah leveling is fast, the game is basically similar to wow where the leveling is super fast and easy, as I said on new seasons people hit lvl 70 in like 3-4hours(if you take your time and you're solo it's more like 5-6, but still). Entire game is at max level, which is why playing without RoS is fairly pointless. Also RoS adds more story and shit. Not the best story but I think it's better than the original, and the zones are pretty cool.
Cool thanks. And I seem to remember certain item stats on followers carrying over to you? Like monster exp and perhaps life per hit? Is that true? Is there a specific kind of stat I should look for when giving followers items for this? How much of it carries over? Also sometimes I'll highlight an item and it'll show me all the possible stats it could have rolled, other times it doesn't. How do I make that permanent/toggle it? Thanks a bunch.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
You do get 10% of your followers gold find, magic find, and experience bonus from items. It stacks additively with torment bonuses though, so going from 4000% bonus exp to 4005% isn't worth caring about.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah mostly gearing for the Templar is Ess of Johan amulet to pull stuff around him, Occulus Ring because it creates the circles even when you kill stuff so it's basically like if you had the ring for free, Thunderfury for aoe slow or the sword that freezes on hit when attacking stuff under 20% life(good for high greater rift guardians, it won't freeze them permanently but it interupts a lot of stuff) and then whatever for the shield and 2nd ring it depends, Wyrdward if using Thunderfury, Nagelring at low torment, Unity if you use one too, or whatever else. And the relic is always the one that makes him unable to die, since once you're at high enough torment, he just dies a lot regardless without it.

For leveling, follower gear basically doesn't matter, just give him some shit with vit so he doesn't die.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
So I asked a single sentence question in general chat and 2 hours later I was level 70 and 300 Paragon and had a billion gold and every single stash full of legendaries and set items. Bit overwhelming. I knew I shouldn't have taken the free PL lol. Spent an hour just looking through my items trying to figure out what the hell to do haha.

Edit: I got that Ess of Johan, someone gave it to me and said "for your follower"... I then proceeded to equip it on myself because of the cold damage rofl. I'm so clueless.I need that gargantuan ring. Also got the thunderfury, that one I put on him for the slow. Also got a nagelring. Only had time to try Torment 5 and I do okay there in act 5, still need to figure out adventures and rifts and shit.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Got all 4 hellfire key thingies doing my first set of bounties. Someone said they aren't guaranteed to drop? Crazy that I got all 4 in a single game. Now to figure them out. Also got that ring that reduces the number of set items needed by 1, gotta figure out how to make that shit passive!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hellfire keys are not guaranteed yeah, but fairly common if you're at T6 or higher. You really shouldn't do the ubers before you can do them on T9 or T10 though, otherwise you will get few organs. The item you eventually get is Hellfire amulets, but you need to roll a bunch or be very lucky for them to be good.

Ring of Royal Grandeur is great and you're lucky you got it early on, although some builds don't use it anymore. To use it passively you need to unlock the cube. Talk to Khulle in town, he'll give you a quest for it, which boils down to going to Ruins of Sescheron in act3, find the second zone(forgot the name), then find the throne where the cube is. Then to cube legendary powers, you need the legendary and 1 of each crafting materials from the bounties in each act as well as 5 death breaths. It destroys the legendary then you can use it in the slots for it, you can have 1 weapon, 1 armor and 1 accessory legendary power from the cube this way. All the recipes are on the cube itself and it won't accept wrong stuff so no fear of fucking up shit. Also the cubed powers are also account wide(or well, like stash, it's split between SC/HC and Season/non season).

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I got like 3 of those rings that reduce set number by 1. I got the passive going, was disappointed that the passive + ring didn't stack haha. I'm still way way overwhelmed by all the items and build possibilities, no idea what to do or how to tell if an item is better when it has secondary stats like cold damage or a specific skill etc. Learning curve tho
smile.png
So far I handle t7 fine, will try t8 tomorrow and see.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
In general, the game doesn't have that much flexibility, build wise, once you get enough gear and to a high enough torment level. You can find most popular(aka viable) builds on Diablofans or the subreddit for the specific classes. Pretty much it's just one build per set, with sometimes a variation of one skill or two or their runes. As WD for example, for really high Greater rifts, you want to play the Helltooth pet build, unless you play in a group then you play as a support build. Jade build(dots+explosion) is meh, the actual pet set is meh too I think, Arachyr is mostly for speedfarming rifts with Majuma weapon set for chicken explosion build and fast movespeed.

Fucking Curse sites are shitting themselves though so not entirely sure that's still correct. Also if you're still doing torment 1-10, you can kinda play anything. But for examples of optimized builds, definitely check the website, filter by current patch and check Top of all time for highest rated builds. JMac tends to have good Witch Doctor builds especially, he pretty much only plays WD, has detailed videos and shit with actual gameplay of the builds so you can see how they play before you put together the gear.