Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Yea no DML yet but end goal is UE for sure. Marauder is a nice stop gap though, so far 1 piece UE and 4 piece Marauder kinda points that way.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
That is pretty huge, damn.

I have gone through ~500-600 legendaries on my monk so far, paragon 350ish, and have not seen a fist of az'tarrasque still. At this point I think I've moved on past the point where UE is competitive but still, I like the build. Honestly I've seen the same 10-20 pieces drop over and over and over again an unusual amount this season (I had 8 Raiment legs and 7 boots in my stash at one point) and I've cubed almost nothing because of it, gonna be a chore to get that season step done at this rate for the first time ever.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did they ever drop any more details about the d1 content that is being added?
It's a 16 levels "rift" that uses some new models similar to the D1 monsters, with a pixelized filter and possibly a 8direction restriction(conflicting reports on that). It will use D3 rift tiles. It's also a temporary event that might come back the year after, but only lasts during january otherwise. That's about all they've said about it I believe.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
That t1 cath sounds like the cow king rift, fun to go through 10 levels once... then not again once the rift boss is dead. If that's what it turns out to be at least

Caliane

Why would they this much content temporarily?
This goes way beyond D3. its certainly something I will never understand.
Path of Exile temp league content.
Every mmo, and regular games seasonal content. Halloween stuff, etc.
Guildwars2 holiday stuff, and "living world".
League of legends harrowing. Why in gods name did they make an entire map(bildgewater) for ARAM, that is not used anymore? Its just a reskin. why in the world is it not in rotation?

so much dead content made for games, only available during a select time period. Makes no sense to me.
Dev time is a premium. Why make content that will only have limited access?
I can understand "limited time only" rotations at least. Like now LoL has poroking, hexakill, etc in rotation weekly.
The same should also be applied to all MTX. Path of exile for example, has a TON, just metric shit ton, of MTX which was only available via supporter packs, or just plain timed periods. Like the pilgrims hat. If you were not playing POE, or didn't buy it. you can't get it. That is just.... poor business.

"Limited time only" sales only really work when you have total market saturation. Like.. McDonalds or something.

Terraria did it right. Even holiday stuff can be spawned at any time. New content added to the game was free. and used to generate fresh sales of the core game, becuase they understood its better to sell this new content to new buyers, then just hit up their previous base again.
A mix would be better to hit it best. Like using PoE. Free content updates should largely target new players. (expansions, etc.) While that MTX should be on rotations so elder players have something to spend money on.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's always going to be differing company opinions on time-locked or time-exclusive content. There's either the collector's perspective where players should be able to get everything since the beginning of the game (even if it's at reduced availability after it's initial debut) or the unique snowflake perspective where only the players who put the time and work in during a limited availability window should ever have those rewards.

As an example, FFXIV tries to split the difference where the same holiday events happen each year but with new unique rewards. If you want to get any old rewards you have to wait for a year of exclusivity and then get purchase off the cash shop. Pricing will always be a questionable element when cash shops are involved but at least the option exists.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
PoE mostly rolls league content into the base game over time, most league mechanics have been added to the game one way or another, if only via Zana map mods. The race content is a bit weirder, but once they get asynchronous racing in, I assume it'll be a good use of dev time.

MMO seasonal content often reuses the same content from year to year while adding new stuff and there the point of making content and especially rewards that can only be obtained once makes sense, people want that uniqueness. Remember before they added the black market AH or whatever the fuck it was, how you could sell a wow account with a Qiraji black mount for stupid amounts(I think that's the name, the scarab from the opening of AQ event). Because of the way mmo works, it turns out to be kinda like limited edition content, you want the exclusivity it provides and that's what they sell you. Some people resub just to do the time limited event to get that one reward. And you can always reuse the content later on if you're out of shit to do. 2-3years later, do another time limited event that gives the same rewards again and shit.

Now for this specific case though, I don't know, seems meh. D3 cosmetics are like, kinda whatever, and it's not like they're doing actual content that much anymore so wasting that much time on something that's really just a gimmick, a time limited one, feels like they have no fucking idea what they're doing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Came back to D3 after not playing since before RoS came out. Started off on default difficulty, kept cranking it up and got to torment I before finishing RoS. It seemed like it only took 3 hours to beat RoS, not really sure what to think but it felt uhh, really short.

I didn't expect much and mostly just wanted to dust off the monk, but it felt like nothing has changed in the game except I have no auction house to deal with anymore.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The game is pretty much just adventure mode now. Rifts, greater rifts, bounties, seasons, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Did bounties through all the acts and did a rift. Also read a bit about the current meta of the game:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/17346426537
Monk Leveling and Fresh 70 Guide (Patch 2.4.2 / Season 8)

It seems like the way to play is to pick a torment level you can faceroll, and just grind rifts/bounties?

It also seems like the synergistic builds for monks remove a lot of the difficulty and gameplay from the game. I've always like exploding palm, and it seems like the exploding palm builds remove the two key elements of applying it and triggering it (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/gungdo-gear http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/madstone http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/ulianas-spirit). This seems like it'd further dull the gameplay that already seems pretty mindless.

So am I missing something about the game? Am I playing it wrong or does it get more interesting later?

I know when it came out, it was optimal to play at the most difficult area you could survive to get the highest ilvl item you could. Fighting really tough elite packs and having to play correctly seemed a lot more interesting, I dunno.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Point of the game these days is gear up as much as you can with sets and supporting pieces for the latest meta build, and go as high as possible on greater rifts. They can be challenging and sometimes fun, but at the highest tiers, it's more about running a ton of rifts in a row until you find that magical rift of high density with easy mob types, which lets you clear it and go up another level or two.

Rest of the game is walking around killing the entire screen with 1 button on an easier difficulty for speed farming, which yeah gets boring really fast. I don't find the game very interesting anymore aside from maybe checking out a new season for a few days every now and then.