Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
i wanna chase after a griffins, after an enigma, after my lodizal shell shield, after my GEBs, after my Sulfuras

fuck chasing integers - lousy and lazy itemization

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
i wanna chase after a griffins, after an enigma, after my lodizal shell shield, after my GEBs, after my Sulfuras

Yeah, basic gameplay and classes are pretty fun for a while, but the higher you level up the more shallow it becomes :(.

Almost wish I started POE earlier, but maybe we will get another loot 2.0 in Season 4 and it'll be worth playing again? I like the more simplistic approach, just wish they would find more of a middle ground between D4 now and POE now.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, basic gameplay and classes are pretty fun for a while, but the higher you level up the more shallow it becomes :(.

Almost wish I started POE earlier, but maybe we will get another loot 2.0 in Season 4 and it'll be worth playing again? I like the more simplistic approach, just wish they would find more of a middle ground between D4 now and POE now.
Last Epoch is that middle ground you are looking for.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Last Epoch has a weirdly, almost painfully, boring endgame. Kinda hard to explain until you experience it. Nothing really wrong with the game, and it has some nice systems and ideas, but man is the endgame boring.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Last Epoch has a weirdly, almost painfully, boring endgame. Kinda hard to explain until you experience it. Nothing really wrong with the game, and it has some nice systems and ideas, but man is the endgame boring.
Is that still being worked on though or "complete"? I was hoping it was good but have held off buying it in EA.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
No idea. I think the problem I have with the endgame is a combination of the skill animations and character movement being lackluster combined with the end game "maps" being mostly random (random layouts/tilesets, random events for completion, etc).

Chris

Potato del Grande

They even said that you can target farm Uniques, but most of the bosses are limited by their materials being tied to timed spawns (Helltide, World Bosses). So really you'll be killing the same amount of each boss no matter what, other than getting extra Zir kills if you are more efficient since that's the only non limited one.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No idea. I think the problem I have with the endgame is a combination of the skill animations and character movement being lackluster combined with the end game "maps" being mostly random (random layouts/tilesets, random events for completion, etc).

Any repetitive end-game type game loop absolutely has to have gameplay that feels good, looks good and looks interesting, and sounds good.

Where many games fail is the good feeling. POE was one of these for me, the game just felt weird to play, engine issues (related to Diablo engine). It also somewhat failed on looking interesting. The monster designs were not particularly inspired or interesting to me.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I remember having some trouble getting into PoE based on looks and feel. Of course, that was their closed beta a dozen years ago. Glad I stuck with it, has been quite a ride so far.

I tried twice to get into Last Epoch, but so far it just didn't click with me. People generally relate positively to it, so I hope I on a third attempt some time this year it clicks with me. The graphics are kinda bad, but PoE wasn't great until a few years ago either, and certainly still looks aged in some regards.

Oh yeah, D4 thread. Haven't touched it since I lost interest in playing it before season 1 launched. I just keep up with this thread in case they turn into pure gold, but doesn't look like that'll happen this year.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
See, I kind of feel similar to PoE. I think the game is an absolute blast as you're climbing through your Atlas tree, upgrades are still coming relatively quickly, etc. But once you get your Atlas mostly complete outside of the 18 versions of Maven and you're sitting in mostly 100c-1 divine uniques/rares and staring down 10+ divines for every next upgrade, the game just turns into a snorefest for me.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The end game in darn near every arpg is awful and repetitive to me The fun in the game is seeing the content and maxing out your level and skills, maybe your armor / gear set, and after that it's a downhill slog.

D2 - Run infinite Baal / Pendal runs so that you can do.....more Baal and Pendal runs

D3 -Run infinite random greater rifts....so that you can run another great rift...nothing changes other than mobs hp.

PoE - Run random maps, so that you can earn currency to run....more maps

Last Epoch - Run infinite monos so that you can ../gasp...Run more monos.

D4 - so shitty that even getting to end game is a slog. Run 2 or 3 dungeons on repeat for 30 lvls so that you can...Run the same instances at cap until uber lillith

Each game is certainly worth running a toon or two through the game, but all of their end games suck.

When the roller coaster ride of leveling and seeing the content is over, just be content to hop off and enjoy a diff ride. Every game doesn't need to be a lifelong adventure like some expect them to be.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Always enjoyed being a shitter, then you get that OP item that makes you blow everything the fuck up until you gain a bunch of levels and are a shitter again, then you get something OP again and the cycle continues.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The end game in darn near every arpg is awful and repetitive to me The fun in the game is seeing the content and maxing out your level and skills, maybe your armor / gear set, and after that it's a downhill slog.

D2 - Run infinite Baal / Pendal runs so that you can do.....more Baal and Pendal runs

D3 -Run infinite random greater rifts....so that you can run another great rift...nothing changes other than mobs hp.

PoE - Run random maps, so that you can earn currency to run....more maps

Last Epoch - Run infinite monos so that you can ../gasp...Run more monos.

D4 - so shitty that even getting to end game is a slog. Run 2 or 3 dungeons on repeat for 30 lvls so that you can...Run the same instances at cap until uber lillith

Each game is certainly worth running a toon or two through the game, but all of their end games suck.

When the roller coaster ride of leveling and seeing the content is over, just be content to hop off and enjoy a diff ride. Every game doesn't need to be a lifelong adventure like some expect them to be.
Well I agree, but I would argue my problem with modern ARPGs is they have almost exclusively invested in systems instead of content. So the hollow end games are a reflection of bolting on things like greater rifts at the expense of just making more stuff to do. I think PoE has done the best with adding stuff as they go but they also keep so many systems components it's just hard to really get into.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Are they still adding a separate greater rift system to D4 or was Abattoir of Zir essentially the type of rift system they'll do, except just seasonal?

Goatface

Are they still adding a separate greater rift system to D4 or was Abattoir of Zir essentially the type of rift system they'll do, except just seasonal?

for s3, they are adding "the gauntlet" a timed fixed map each week, with leaderboards for top 1000 for each class, etc.
unless they fix a lot of broken shit, leaderboards are going to be a joke. they have said they will be fixing ball lightning and hota.

should be getting a chat next week.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well I agree, but I would argue my problem with modern ARPGs is they have almost exclusively invested in systems instead of content. So the hollow end games are a reflection of bolting on things like greater rifts at the expense of just making more stuff to do. I think PoE has done the best with adding stuff as they go but they also keep so many systems components it's just hard to really get into.
This is actually a great point and one thing that's VERY descriptive of PoE. Sure, they've added a bit of "content" here and there with places like Heist and Betrayal being mostly separate, but it's mostly just systems bolted onto the already existing content.