Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I had to roll my eyes when this guy says he thinks he has it solved. I'm sorry but you're the only person thinking about this outside the dev team?

NO this isn't to suggest that the dev's are infallible - just that really? I'm supposed to watch this 15 minute video about something being broken from a …weekend...beta...test.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I had to roll my eyes when this guy says he thinks he has it solved. I'm sorry but you're the only person thinking about this outside the dev team?

NO this isn't to suggest that the dev's are infallible - just that really? I'm supposed to watch this 15 minute video about something being broken from a …weekend...beta...test.

I'm sure other games had this happen to them and it's just the most visible with Diablo 4 but content creators gonna content. We've got tier lists, build guides, talent calculators, thousands of hours of Twitch vods and all manner of theorycrafting on the first act of the open beta of a video game. The expectation is that D4 is going to be big for at least a few months so our streamer bros are laying a foundation early. I don't begrudge content creators out there doing the clicks/likes/views grind but I'm not sure they're really doing the game or the community any favors with coverage this granular. Ultimately that's on us of course but I just know how gamers can get. If everything goes in the bin after a few hours or worse proves the opposite of expectations we're going to have to back up the salt truck.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's kind of like:

"TOP DPS BUILD FOR UPPER GUK! INSANE CLEARING! MOBS DEAD IN 9 SECONDS! ALMOST LGUK READY BUILD!"

Neat they did stuff, but none of it means anything when there's magnitudes more power to gain and legendaries are dropping at a much more inflated rate than they will on launch. Real test would be some nerds in all rares clearing shit class vs class. Probably a better indicator of just the leveling process.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I don't really care how "op" a character who sits at level 25 for 20 hours and gets literally maxed everything possible for that level through this beta ends up. I'd say if characters who maxed out everything possible in this beta still ended up feeling like shit and not being able to do damage, then THAT would be the bad sign about the game because it would lead me to think maybe maxing out at level 100 would be similarly weak feeling.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's kind of like:

"TOP DPS BUILD FOR UPPER GUK! INSANE CLEARING! MOBS DEAD IN 9 SECONDS! ALMOST LGUK READY BUILD!"

Neat they did stuff, but none of it means anything when there's magnitudes more power to gain and legendaries are dropping at a much more inflated rate than they will on launch. Real test would be some nerds in all rares clearing shit class vs class. Probably a better indicator of just the leveling process.
Really makes me appreciate that I got to game before this era of that kind of stupid shit where everything has a guide or clickbaity YouTube video.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really makes me appreciate that I got to game before this era of that kind of stupid shit where everything has a guide or clickbaity YouTube video.

Really back then they are just all printed on paper. In Guides, magazines etc. Internet just changed the means in which how they are viewed and that anyone and their mother could do it.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Hmm not sure what universe you came from then because I remember most games being so ridiculously hard and/or obscure that you basically had to get a guide or buy a sub to Nintendo Power or use cheat codes to beat that shit. I also remember there being hotlines with obscene fees to call for tips to various games.

• 4Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And don't forget that they tied the ability to actually use the "4K" (a.k.a. "almost imperceptible waste of 40+GB download") textures to the amount of RAM you have, *not* VRAM. Somehow Series X can use those textures though (based on the ~75GB download size of the XSX demo), despite only having 16GB total RAM shared between the CPU and GPU while a PC with 16GB RAM could not.

The memory bloat/leak was insane too. When I tested 32GB RAM the game went from allocating ~9GB (out of 16GB) to 25+GB.

I don't mind ordering another 32 gigs of Ripjaws for D4.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hmm not sure what universe you came from then because I remember most games being so ridiculously hard and/or obscure that you basically had to get a guide or buy a sub to Nintendo Power or use cheat codes to beat that shit. I also remember there being hotlines with obscene fees to call for tips to various games.

I remember buying the guides from Babbage's. Starting with Might and Magic 6.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
God yes I loved reading these magazines while we were on holidays or such. Also, some of them had CD full of cool stuff (and a lot of broken stuff). Duke Nukem 3D first level, then 2 months later we had duke nukem 3d first act, that was awesome.
I also remember spending time in a cybercafe (lol that name is so 20th century), some dudes were playing Command and Conquer, and that's were I realized that I sucked ass. That was another source of info.

Why don't they add a hidden effect / stat on every legendary so theorycrafters can go nut ?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
God yes I loved reading these magazines while we were on holidays or such. Also, some of them had CD full of cool stuff (and a lot of broken stuff). Duke Nukem 3D first level, then 2 months later we had duke nukem 3d first act, that was awesome.
I also remember spending time in a cybercafe (lol that name is so 20th century), some dudes were playing Command and Conquer, and that's were I realized that I sucked ass. That was another source of info.

Why don't they add a hidden effect / stat on every legendary so theorycrafters can go nut ?
There are still demos of games that i played, loved it, but was a poor kid that couldnt afford it. Now im plagued with memories of games that i remember liking, but can’t remember the name of. Or really even the specific year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I remember buying the guides from Babbage's. Starting with Might and Magic 6.

Christ I loved this place. I sat for like two days straight on my Commodore 64 "programming" a game called Lode Runner. ONE character out of thousands entered meant it wouldn't run. Meaning every line had to be double checked before moving on!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Christ I loved this place. I sat for like two days straight on my Commodore 64 "programming" a game called Lode Runner. ONE character out of thousands entered meant it wouldn't run. Meaning every line had to be double checked before moving on!
I never knew people did that until someone mentioned it like a year ago on here. We bought games for our commodore 64. I was like 3 though and programming was definitely not happening with my mom.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I think the only real takeaway here is that its going to be near impossible to create any balance for a character that can simply equip more weapons than any other character. That is if you center your game around powerful weapon items as opposed to other items. So by and large this is negated if barbarian equippable weapons are simply not as powerful overall but their key items have hard restricted abilities to say, belts, like Mageblood or Headhunter in POE.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My dad did that, typing in the code from the magazine for two days. Then when he went to run it it failed and wiped out everything he did. He was super depressed and never tried again lol

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Daidraco

I think the only real takeaway here is that its going to be near impossible to create any balance for a character that can simply equip more weapons than any other character. That is if you center your game around powerful weapon items as opposed to other items. So by and large this is negated if barbarian equippable weapons are simply not as powerful overall but their key items have hard restricted abilities to say, belts, like Mageblood or Headhunter in POE.
Little late, but they simply could have just connected weapon slots to certain skills. Where that slot only works when that specific skill is used. Then balanced it properly. I completely understand why the Barbarian is weaker in the beginning for this very reason. The Druid on the other hand - Im just not seeing it.