Diablo Immortal

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The campaign is fine, pretty much D3, and the post-campaign game sucks. So same as D4 really, just different reasons for why it sucks. It is good for a few weeks if one hasn't played it yet.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I think Immortal actually has a better end game than D4; if it wasn't for the predatory monetization scheme I think it would've been a good game (once you get to the end game you basically serve as algae to be fed on by the whales that have spent tens of thousands on the game). They did a much, much better job turning Immortal into an mmo-lite experience than they did with D4

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think Immortal actually has a better end game than D4; if it wasn't for the predatory monetization scheme I think it would've been a good game (once you get to the end game you basically serve as algae to be fed on by the whales that have spent tens of thousands on the game). They did a much, much better job turning Immortal into an mmo-lite experience than they did with D4

D4 launched with less content than Immortal. Not many people on FOH played both, so you'll hear comparisons on end-game being thrown around, such as "they are on equal footing".

The fact is, anyone who played Immortal at launch played it for LONGER than they played D4.

D4 was 2-3 weeks of hard play. Immortal spanned around 4 to 6 weeks of hard play, as already mentioned by Chris Chris

On paper, could the longevity of their end-games be said to be comparable? Sure, maybe. In practice, however, in actual user experience, that's a different story entirely. Nobody on this forum got more out of D4 than they did out of Immortal. The fact is Immortal held attention for a solid month to nearly a month and a half. D4 took only a few weeks of hard play to completely be done with until "Season 1".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
D4 launched with less content than Immortal. Not many people on FOH played both, so you'll hear comparisons on end-game being thrown around, such as "they are on equal footing".

The fact is, anyone who played Immortal at launch played it for LONGER than they played D4.

D4 was 2-3 weeks of hard play. Immortal spanned around 4 to 6 weeks of hard play, as already mentioned by Chris Chris

On paper, could the longevity of their end-games be said to be comparable? Sure, maybe. In practice, however, in actual user experience, that's a different story entirely. Nobody on this forum got more out of D4 than they did out of Immortal. The fact is Immortal held attention for a solid month to nearly a month and a half. D4 took only a few weeks of hard play to completely be done with until "Season 1".

Ahhh......no. For me at least, you have it exactly backwards

I played DI at launch, it was a fantastic mobile ARPG when I was levelling. Once I hit level cap, the game ground to a screeching halt. I did the daily shit, tried to fill out that encyclopedia book (which I liked and hope D4 does something similar), and did the faction thing where I went underground and did some quests for that. BUT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ITEM UPGRADES because of the way they gated progress at level cap. Also that mini-boss where you clicked on the statue in the middle of the city? The one that you had to wait for like 8 other people to join, only for like 4 of them to be AFK once the party filled? That boss? Oh yeah, and PvP where you got your asshole pushed in by whales so you didn't ever feel like you were contributing. Who cares, because the rewards were ass. Don't get me started on those dumbass gems that max out if you spend like $10,000 each.

Thankfully I didn't spend a dime on the game, and I got a good 2-3 weeks out of it. I didn't bother waiting until season play.

Diablo 4 launched a month ago, I'm still playing, will play through Season 1 at the minimum.

Quick question jayrebb jayrebb - do you still play DI? If so, how is it now? I guess it's good there two separate products, because you and anyone else can play DI instead of D4 if you consider it the superior game. Is there anyone who still plays DI want to comment on the state of the game now, and how monetization is......is it still heavy PTW or can you have fun being FTP?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Quick question jayrebb jayrebb - do you still play DI? If so, how is it now? I guess it's good there two separate products, because you and anyone else can play DI instead of D4 if you consider it the superior game. Is there anyone who still plays DI want to comment on the state of the game now, and how monetization is......is it still heavy PTW or can you have fun being FTP?

The monetization is frozen in time, same system, same prices, same impact to the game.

This caused Immortal to have a finite shelf-life if you weren't willing to spend a lot of money and wanted to keep playing it as a serious full-time MMO.

You are protected to a large degree by the MMR system, which is pretty solid. But as more and more people spend money, an above average excelling player will start to crack into MMR where the average spending on the game is at least 500$ if not 1,000 at this point. This would be your core spender breakpoint. Any player over that amount you will have 0 interactions with in the game itself, besides getting carried on Raids and Rifts by your guild leader or officers and so on. If you are in a top guild, plan to be competitive, or are really winning and carrying PvP games nonstop as a FTP, you will eventually run into something that resembles a paywall on fun. You have to be really kicking a ton of ass, winning nonstop, destroying to ever really get into an MMR where paying is extremely prevalent. Overall, the MMR system combined with a huge majority of players not having spent money at that point, is why anyone gave the game a chance at all.

You could play it strictly PvE, which would leave out 2/3rds of the game. The Fractured Plane rogue-like is worth a look either way, as I hear it's pretty fleshed out now.

I'd like to see D4 adopt the Immortal rogue-like as an alternative progression system. Whether they put currency or items as rewards, the fact is the game mode is fun and D4 could use more fun.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ahhh......no. For me at least, you have it exactly backwards

I played DI at launch, it was a fantastic mobile ARPG when I was levelling. Once I hit level cap, the game ground to a screeching halt. I did the daily shit, tried to fill out that encyclopedia book (which I liked and hope D4 does something similar), and did the faction thing where I went underground and did some quests for that. BUT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ITEM UPGRADES because of the way they gated progress at level cap. Also that mini-boss where you clicked on the statue in the middle of the city? The one that you had to wait for like 8 other people to join, only for like 4 of them to be AFK once the party filled? That boss? Oh yeah, and PvP where you got your asshole pushed in by whales so you didn't ever feel like you were contributing. Who cares, because the rewards were ass. Don't get me started on those dumbass gems that max out if you spend like $10,000 each.

Thankfully I didn't spend a dime on the game, and I got a good 2-3 weeks out of it. I didn't bother waiting until season play.

Diablo 4 launched a month ago, I'm still playing, will play through Season 1 at the minimum.

What exactly are you doing in D4?

In Diablo Immortal the daily paragon level cap increase and the Shadows guilds incentivised you to keep logging in to keep up to date. You can't get that experience today though because it's FOMO design.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

In Diablo Immortal the daily paragon level cap increase and the Shadows guilds incentivised you to keep logging in to keep up to date. You can't get that experience today though because it's FOMO design.

Don't forget you actually want to do raids in Immortal. You actually track the raid lockout and log in and do the raids whenever possible. Whether you are being carried by a pay2win raid leader or not, you still log on and do the raid content.

Nobody is doing world bosses in D4. And that's real spill.

• 1Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

Playing? My main is lvl 72, I use that timer app, so I log in, kill world boss, do a NM dungeon that's also linked to whisper, that gets me my one whisper chest. Then I run NM dungeons, or try and fill out my renown which is still not maxxed in 2 areas. If HT is up, I will do one and get 2-3 chests.

Also playing with gf, lvl 54, still in T3. There she wants to finish quests, do overworld stuff like finish her map, we haven't even started NM dungeons yet.

I think the difference is I didn't play 12 hours a day and rushed to end game like some of you guys did, so for me I'm still enjoying the journey and not burned out. I'm not sure what kind of experience you guys were thinking it was going to be. I've played every Diablo, PoE for like 8-10 seasons total, Torchlight 1/2, Grim Dawn, Victor Vran, Titan Quest.....it's all the same shit, wrapped up in a different overlay. Literally everything people are bitching about in D4 is in every single other ARPG. People who complain about how repetitive end game is in D4.....like they didn't do 10,000 Baal runs in D2. Loot sucks in D4...where in PoE you throw away 99% of your shit, or spend 20 minutes trying to get a 6-link weapon with the right color combo IF YOU ARE LUCKY. Complain about loot drops in D4 when I have never gotten an HH in PoE ever, and maybe like 2 mirrors. About the only legitimate complaint is lack of trade, which hopefully they reconsider in the future.

Same question for you Chris Chris - are you still playing DI? How is it now? Because I was bored to death logging in for 1 hour a day trying to do the Shadow guild stuff, the dailies, and getting NOTHING to show for it. The progress to me at end game was soooooo incremental as to be non-rewarding. And I sure as hell wasn't going to spend money on it. Did you? If so, how much if I may ask?

Is anyone playing DI still? Anyone care to comment on the state of the game?

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Don't forget you actually want to do raids in Immortal. You actually track the raid lockout and log in and do the raids whenever possible. Whether you are being carried by a pay2win raid leader or not, you still log on and do the raid content.

Nobody is doing world bosses in D4. And that's real spill.

I don't remember raids in Immortal. Is that the statue you click on in the middle of the city?

If so, I already commented on that. My experience was it took a while to fill the group, and when you did, inevitably several people were AFK, so you never could get the raid going. I'm also not going to sit on my phone for an hour waiting to get AFK players kicked off and filled with actives. Not to mention the grind to get your ilevel high enough to "open" the next boss....lol, no thanks, I'm not gonna get suckered in to giving Blizzard any money because of FOMO.

And I kill the D4 world boss every time I play. I make it part of my loop.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't remember raids in Immortal. Is that the statue you click on in the middle of the city?

If so, I already commented on that. My experience was it took a while to fill the group, and when you did, inevitably several people were AFK, so you never could get the raid going. I'm also not going to sit on my phone for an hour waiting to get AFK players kicked off and filled with actives. Not to mention the grind to get your ilevel high enough to "open" the next boss....lol, no thanks, I'm not gonna get suckered in to giving Blizzard any money because of FOMO.

And I kill the D4 world boss every time I play. I make it part of my loop.

yes it's nice to have random NPC lemmings spawn at the boss to kill it for you I agree.

I love the loop too with no dedicated reset timer or spawn timers. Just gotta watch that map like a hawk man and keep refreshing those webpages.

Press that F5 key baby. Stay on that tracker and meet with randomly generated "players"

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
yes it's nice to have random NPC lemmings spawn at the boss to kill it for you I agree.

I love the loop too with no dedicated reset timer or spawn timers. Just gotta watch that map like a hawk man and keep refreshing those webpages.

Press that F5 key baby. Stay on that tracker and meet with randomly generated "players"

I have no idea what you are talking about. What NPCs? Are you referring to the other players? How is that different that DI where some whale is killing the boss for you?

Also you aren't using the app right, or maybe you don't even use it. The app will tell you the raid boss spawns in 2 hours. So you just log in before the spawn, head over, kill the boss. There is no need to constantly refresh. The only time I refresh is when I gather cinders in HT, when I hit 175 I will look at the app to see where the chest is, if I haven't run into it already.

[EDIT] Better yet, if your complaint is that D4 is too much of a solo game, that you don't interact with other players enough, then name another ARPG that you think does it better. DI? You in a guild in DI? Play with a lot of others do you? PoE? You tend to group up in that game do you?

You and Chris Chris still haven't told me how DI is in it's present state. Are you guys excited about the new Blood Knight class? If you stopped playing, is that going to be enough to get you to play again?

Is ANYONE still playing this game? Just crickets?

Please don't tell me jayrebb jayrebb and Chris Chris are heaping praise on a game that no one in FoH currently plays. Is the game so good that no one wants to play it? That's something special.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Please don't tell me jayrebb jayrebb and Chris Chris are heaping praise on a game that no one in FoH currently plays. Is the game so good that no one wants to play it? That's something special.

Tom Cruise Laugh GIF

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

So I'll take that as a no.

So basically in a year, no one in on these boards plays DI anymore.

Whereas in a year from now, people on these forums will still be playing D4.

If you think I'm wrong and willing to bet me on it, let me know.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I quit this game after a month, I haven't played it since.

I'm just providing context to how it had more content than D4, it was still worse than PoE.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Yeah but 1/2 that content is PvP crap I don’t want in D4, and thankful it’s not there. I don’t want to rely on groups or guilds to get the best loot.

DI and D4 are for 2 different audiences and I’m thankful for that.

If you took out all the guild and PvP stuff in DI, you wouldn’t be left with much of a game.

• 1Picard

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I quit DI after about 1.5 months spending $0. I quit D4 after 3 weeks spending $100. sadge.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I'm almost loathe to admit this, but I was playing DI right up until D4 launched. The social hooks of the game are pretty good. I can give a pretty decent rundown of the game as a low (by DI standards) spender.

They "fixed" a lot of the issues people have brought up in this thread. The raids no longer require a full 8 man team, they can even be solo'ed. They added a lot of raids as well; most of them are pretty decent. Gear progression and what not has basically been fixed, it's quite easy to hit the CR requirements at every difficulty. Early on the game had big issues with getting groups together (and even with the issues they had, this was a million times better than the nothing in D4), but they also fixed that with an easy to use party finder system as well as the fact that dungeons can also be done with any number of members rather than only with a full party. Generally speaking, if you are only interested in PvE, there is nothing in the game that can't be done f2p. There are some extreme differences between the efficiency of f2p vs whales, think something like 4-5 min dungeon clears vs 1:30 dungeon clears, but nothing PvE wise is out of reach for f2p players at this point.

The accessibility of the PvE content is great, however, it is also deeply flawed and shallow. Basically, gear all has a "combat rating" stat on it (and this mechanism recently changed from being the total of all stats on a piece of gear to being a completely unrelated new stat. If you used to have say a chest piece with 200 strength and 200 fortitude, that piece would be 400 combat rating regardless of the magic effects and what not on it. In a patch that came out right about the time D4 released, they changed combat rating to an independent stat. Now some random 130 strength 140 fortitude item could have higher combat rating than your old 200/200 piece). PvE content in the game is heavily gated behind this combat rating mechanic. If you are below the combat rating for a given fight, you have absolutely huge damage done and damage taken penalties that make the encounters basically unwinnable. Conversely, if you are over the CR requirement, you can basically just stand still and hold your basic attack and win. The PvE content is thus pretty unrewarding even if the combat and some of the mechanics (if you choose to even bother dealing with them instead of just standing still or whatever) are pretty fun.

PvP, on the other hand, is absolute garbage. It is completely pay to win with a ludicrous ceiling on how much you can spend. Generally speaking I would say it costs the following to get to each respective resonance "tier":

1k: f2p accessible
2k: f2p accessible with a lot of time or luck, or around $200-300 depending on how long you've been playing (I was personally at around 2460 resonance)
3k: $2000-$3000
4k: $3000-$5000
5k: $8000-$10000
6k: $15000-$25000
7k: $30000-$40000
8k: $50000-$70000
9k: $60000-$80000
10k: $80000+

Now there's a little bit of luck involved as well. You could be completely f2p and get a lucky drop of a 5/5 quality blood soaked jade, which you can then sell for 640k platinum. That much platinum can get you pretty far in the game; just that 1 drop alone can probably buy you enough resonance to hit 1.5k or 2k. The higher your resonance gets, the less you get for your money, however. If you're already at like 3k, that might only get you another 200 resonance or so. There are a shocking number of whales as well. My server had 50+ players over 5k resonance. To give you an idea of the power of the top players, in an 8v8 battleground, if 1 team had 1 10k resonance player and 7 0 resonance players, that 10k could 1v8 the other team if they did not have multiple 7k+ players.

What finally got me to quit was the patch they released right around when D4 came out. The max resonance used to be 7560 (6 gems equipped at a max of 1260 resonance per gem). While I was pretty weak against a 7k player, I could on occasion catch them in a bad position and kill them if they were distracted by someone else and already weak. If I saw a 7k resonance player at 15% hp with no cooldowns and I was full hp with all my cool downs AND I got the jump on them, I had about a 50/50 chance of killing them (and yes it's dumb that it was 50/50 considering the circumstances of the engagement in that given scenario). The new patch introduced 2 new item slots, and thus 2 more gem slots. They also changed the resonance power curve, making the middle tiers (people that had spent upwards of $25000) much weaker (relatively) while making the top tier players basically walking gods. In a battleground post patch, I could literally die instantly just by being near a 10k player. They wouldn't even have to engage me, their passive or automatic skills would kill me from more than a full screen away.

All that PvP content is basically the end game, sadly. PvE is relatively meaningless. The end game is shadow wars and the immortals vs shadows conflict, which is all PvP.

Why did I play the game for so long? I got got basically. The FOMO and the thought of letting my clan down etc all made me keep playing, and got me to spend more money than I ever thought I would on a game. The social aspects of the game with the dailies and the clan content etc is a pretty good hook. The game is actually pretty fun as well if you don't care about being at the top. I was (I suppose unfortunately?) in a top clan on my server, so I was constantly inundated with whales in all directions.

They actually had a limited time event recently that was PvP with normalized stats; everyone got all rank 10 gems and the same gear upgrades etc. It was unbelievably fun, probably the most fun I've had in a game in many years. Unfortunately it only ran for 2 weeks, and then it was back to the whale infested waters of the normal end game. It's a shame, I think DI is a great game with a ridiculous monetization system that unfortunately breaks it. If you've never played DI, I would actually recommend playing the campaign at least. Just don't spend any money and stop playing as soon as the campaign is finished.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Obsidian Obsidian

Thank you for your candor. I assume you spent more than $100 on the game. I understand the hook of PvP and being in a guild, since almost all mobile games use this model now to make money, so I was in no way going to fall for it. For me, it's not "content", it's a predatory system that preys on the weak to separate them from their money. I am also thankful they don't have anything like that in D4, I hope they keep it that way, I hope some pencil pusher doesn't see the numbers and wishes D4 was making more money and introduces these DI systems into the game, which for me would be a death knell.

Is the introduction of the blood knight character of enough interest to you to give it another try?

If you are playing D4, how do you feel about that game, also in comparison to DI?