Diablo Immortal

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I was just gonna post that. PoE proves you can make a good game and still make a ton of money off the microtransactions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
With how low the reputation Blizzard has been lately it is amazing they thought it was a good idea to bring out a game monetized like this. This is just further trashing the rep of Blizzard.

Chris

Potato del Grande
But Booze, didn't we have a bunch of people here telling us that he was retarded and not a good CEO??? I bet he personally walked this idea into the development meetings.
That was people like Chris and Mist so not really people at all. They are still under the mistaken belief that game companies are required to make good games and won't accept the reality it's to make fucking money.
My point has always been that Bobby Kotick and his ilk have been leveraging fan goodwill and company reputation for short term gains, as well as poor decision making/management making games worse than they should have been.

A good CEO, with the same time and resources, could have made better games with fair monetization and made MORE money.

Take Diablo Immortal, what a solid foundation this game has... a great D3 port to mobile with MMO infrastructure on top.

They would be making more money if more people downloaded it and more bought the battle pass. People are refusing to play or refusing to pay because of the degenerate whale behaviour they are seeing from streamers.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Week 2 lass raids are going better now that everyone isn’t horrifically underleveled. After finishing the story and dabbling in some Hell 1 instances, I’m not sure what the hook is to stay around and get stronger. If it’s just pvp, I imagine server population will tank if people get rolled by whales.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
My point has always been that Bobby Kotick and his ilk have been leveraging fan goodwill and company reputation for short term gains, as well as poor decision making/management making games worse than they should have been.

A good CEO, with the same time and resources, could have made better games with fair monetization and made MORE money.

Take Diablo Immortal, what a solid foundation this game has... a great D3 port to mobile with MMO infrastructure on top.

They would be making more money if more people downloaded it and more bought the battle pass. People are refusing to play or refusing to pay because of the degenerate whale behaviour they are seeing from streamers.

You say that but it didn't dissuade anyone here from going balls deep into this even though they knew better. Bobby is simply betting on gamers being dumb soyfags who will eat shit with a spoon if it says Diablo on the box and once again he is correct.

The bet that he would make more with good games doesn't hold water because their are thousands of good quality games that don't make shit and tons of examples of AAA trash making bank.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Week 2 lass raids are going better now that everyone isn’t horrifically underleveled. After finishing the story and dabbling in some Hell 1 instances, I’m not sure what the hook is to stay around and get stronger. If it’s just pvp, I imagine server population will tank if people get rolled by whales.
Yeah once I wasn't overlevelled he went down fairly reasonably.

Going to try hell tonight, if leaderboards are the hook then they need to rethink this whale enabling shit. Looking forward to getting some more set items and exploring that though.

I'm worried that endlessly better +dogooder gear is going to get old. I do wonder how much better a Paragon 300 Legendary is than a lv60 Legendary.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You say that but it didn't dissuade anyone here from going balls deep into this even though they knew better. Bobby is simply betting on gamers being dumb soyfags who will eat shit with a spoon if it says Diablo on the box and once again he is correct.

The bet that he would make more with good games doesn't hold water because their are thousands of good quality games that don't make shit and tons of examples of AAA trash making bank.
Multiple people have said they won't touch this... did YOU go balls deep? Not sure what your basis for saying that is. I bought the battle pass so I'm probably one of the highest spenders in this thread. I would have bought the super duper battle pass if I though this was going to be anything other than a month of play max.

Path of Exile proves your good quality game shit is wrong, it's a no name studio that released an open beta which was 1/6th of the final game with network issues. It was just fucking great. Which "good" games haven't made money?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
You either spend time or money, and in a weird way spending time in these kinds of games costs you more than straight cash ever will.

Ehh I dunno, I kinda love grinding. I'd rather play a game and make progress (even if really, really small) rather than just pay for progress. But I get what you're saying.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PoE would be a dead game if it didn't sell Stash Tabs, those shitty cosmetics (mostly) it has would never keep it alive.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
PoE would be a dead game if it didn't sell Stash Tabs, those shitty cosmetics (mostly) it has would never keep it alive.

I mean, yeah. I think we all know that, but what we're saying is those kinda microtransactions are fine.

Imagine having to pay $25 USD to add 4 fragments to a map and guarantee the boss will drop a unique.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oof.

I feel like Raxx was had one of the more optimistic takes on this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Weekly timegates are the big deal breaker-- as well as the decision to not separate whales from FTP.

I expected a big grind oldschool Diablo style. I didn't expect weekly hard caps and timegates. But that's Blizzard's signature.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
My kid got a five star on one of his first rifts. I guess he should just retire from the game.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Sold a skill stone. Had like a 12 hour wait to post and then another 12 hour pickup time. They're very adamant that they are the only ones that will be making money off this game.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It sounds like D3 with the worst parts of it enhanced and featured. Similar ideology and design decisions.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I'm still having fun just running around doing shit...there is a lot to do and I'm still making progress (Paragon 6 - 900CR) so they did that right.

Of course it would be a million times better if they carbon copied the PoE model but this is the world we live in.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I would have paid money for the battle pass if all the stuff was included that you had to individually pay for. I just won't spend a dime on it now. I know the whales make up for it but it just seems more sustainable with just a battle pass.

• 1Like