Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The game and its loot system was tailored entirely around forcing people to use the RMAH like others have already stated. At release you couldn't even farm bosses (if you were able to even get to them) because they dropped garbage loot after your first kill. People were literally creating characters and gold find builds to farm destructible objects because:

1) they couldn't kill jack shit in Inferno because it was overtuned
2) trying to kill shit took way too much effort, was not fun, and likely wouldn't even give you any usable rewards
3) Destructibles dropped gold and gold was the only real way to gear up (other than the RMAH) because you can't (even still to this day) trade gear in Diablo 3.

When you add all that together you realize the game was not fun if played without paying real money to get to a point you could actually reasonably advance your character.

Diablo 3 in its current state is actually fun to play and the loot pinata, even if not dropping what you need specifically, drops stuff you can turn into mats to re-roll items. A system which was not in place at release. And even though you still can't trade gear, you don't need to anymore. It's also got way more difficulty tuning and rifts, which also were not in place at release. Diablo 3 is an entirely different game, and gaming experience, than it was at release. At release it was one of the worst games ever made. It was going to completely ruin the franchise and almost did. It was luckily turned around but it took a long time.

When I think of game series that were iconic that had an installment almost destroy the series completely Diablo 3 might top the list.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I think of early D3 I have much stronger feelings towards how overtuned inferno was than the RMAH.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
When I think of early D3 I have much stronger feelings towards how overtuned inferno was than the RMAH.

Which pushed people to use the RMAH if they wanted to continue playing.

I don't have any issue with an RMAH by itself. It's when the game is made to prohibit a good experience if the RMAH isn't used when it becomes the problem (which almost certainly will always be the case because its hard not to milk a cash cow)

• 1Solidarity

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
As shitty as Inferno was back then, killing a pre-nerf diablo for the first time was a real heart pounder. Took like 20 minutes on a WD just poison jousting shit trying to not get one shot by anything.

Remember the video of the person who almost cleared hardcore inferno, then something like a quill beast shot off screen and it missed his follower and instagibbed him? That was great.

• 1Like

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I remember having to use a shield with my monk and getting butt fucked by bees in Inferno Act II. Lots of fun.

• 1Solidarity

Brikker

Trump's Staff
D3 at launch was a trash tier game. Takes a real fanboy to think otherwise.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
D3 was basically get auto-it and make hotkeys to auto increment counters for refreshing an AH search, as well as a quick buy hotkey because a normal human would not be able to click the confirmation box faster than someone with better ping to the servers, let alone bots.

If you actually played the game, it was abusing Tyrael in Act 4.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
New dev blog released today. Lots of new info.

Chris

Potato del Grande
New dev blog released today. Lots of new info.

Sounds like they are learning game design 101 in front of us.

It all sounds like shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure if I missed something, but that quarterly update to me was "We made 5 new monsters". Was there something else in there?

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
Not sure if I missed something, but that quarterly update to me was "We made 5 new monsters". Was there something else in there?

Yeah man, they’re learning how to build UI, and they’re surprised at how many people requested obviously good things.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
remember that part on d3 act 2 where you got the side area with 1 resplendent chest, and everyone farmed that 1 chest in inferno to sell on rmah??

i cant wait for that in d4

• 2Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I had the most fun in Diablo3 in the first week when it came out and the gear was exponentially better the harder the game got, making optimal players struggle against ridiculously difficult content that one-shot them.

It was way better than what it turned into where you just breezed through easy shit mindlessly to farm your gerbil food or whatever.

I still think the monk-gameplay at release of having this crazy setup of teleportation to avoid one-shot hits + hard-to-use-melee attacks was some of the greatest gameplay ever done in that genre of games.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I had the most fun in Diablo3 in the first week when it came out and the gear was exponentially better the harder the game got, making optimal players struggle against ridiculously difficult content that one-shot them.

It was way better than what it turned into where you just breezed through easy shit mindlessly to farm your gerbil food or whatever.

I still think the monk-gameplay at release of having this crazy setup of teleportation to avoid one-shot hits + hard-to-use-melee attacks was some of the greatest gameplay ever done in that genre of games.
The gameplay was really smooth and Monk in particular made good use of it. Blizzard has great artists and programmers.

Their game designers are terrible.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

this is going to be the hottest of hot garbage

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have a hard time believing anyone that’s written in these blogs has played a single arpg outside of their assigned 1-70 d3 session after Diversity at Blizzard sessions.

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
The weirdest thing about it is them drawing the diagrams about eye distances and trying to explain why they would pick left side for TV and middle for PC.

1582924627043.png

No matter the distance your eyes are from the screen there will always be a further distance to move your eyes to the corner from the center of the screen, since the eye would travel along the hypotenuse vs the short side:

1582924826095.png

Ultimately I don't care about the location (I'd prefer center) but their reasoning makes no sense at all. These are the people designing D4? Does Blizzard have any talent left?

Last edited:
  • 1Like