Digger (2026)

lurker

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2,061
5,369
I went and saw it yesterday. I can't say I liked it but I didn't hate it, either. Yeah, it's about fossil fuels and greed and climate change but I never felt like the movie was preaching to me. There were too many humorous elements for me to take that message seriously. Very well acted with great sets. Very loud and sometimes difficult to understand dialog. Everybody shouts all the time. A good change from the standard Tom Cruise. I'd rate it 7/10.
 

Bald Brah

Dental Dammer
2,920
3,299
Nothing like jet set multi-millionaires preaching to the peanut gallery about climate change when we can't even afford our electricity bills because they shut down all the coal plants while simultaneously building energy hungry data centers on every corner.
 

jayrebb

Ssraeszha Raider
16,737
16,541
this feels like a movie i'll either absolutely hate (i HATED Birdman) or think its funny/weird. i'll just wait for VOD, sitting in a theater for a movie you hate is the worst

movie is bombing hard and its WB so should be a relatively short VOD window.



Skydance just completed their audit of Warner Bros. Skydance is not happy Warner allowed this to happen. The purse strings will be tightened on Warner Bros future films.

It's a 250m loss.

 

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
35,527
105,650
If I'm the only person for a five dollar ticket night showing of Digger does the theater lose money on the deal? Warner Brothers gets a slice of that fiver and then you've got electricity costs plus maintenance and depreciation.
 

Vuuxo

Scaphism
<Gold Donor>
3,636
11,552
Hollywood LOVES hemorrhaging money. They don't care and the past nearly 20 years have proved that. 250 million dollar loss...400 million dollar loss. No problem as long as THE MESSAGE was pushed.
 

Wombat

Blackwing Lair Raider
2,972
1,599
If I'm the only person for a five dollar ticket night showing of Digger does the theater lose money on the deal? Warner Brothers gets a slice of that fiver and then you've got electricity costs plus maintenance and depreciation.
Yes, which is why theaters do have some say in how many theaters / screens show a given movie, and flops lose all / nearly all of their screens quickly.

From what I've heard, the distributor (Sony, Warner Bros, etc.) and the theater would agree to a minimum number of weeks those theaters will show the movie before they were sent the film reels (in the olden days) / the local digital copy of the movie files (the Digital Cinema Package, or DCP) nowadays.

So AMC / Regal / Marcus (if you're still Wisconsin-based) might have agreed to show Digger at two screens for two weeks at each of their multiplexes, but after those two weeks the theaters will likely drop it down to one screen at one or two multiplexes per city, and would return the remaining film reels (in the olden days) / delete the DCPs nowadays at the rest of those theaters / screens*.

*Depending on when your theater screen went digital, there may be a local copy for each screen, or a centralized plex-hub sort of deal that stores all the DCPs for that multi-plex centrally.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Ssraeszha Raider
16,737
16,541
Hollywood LOVES hemorrhaging money. They don't care and the past nearly 20 years have proved that. 250 million dollar loss...400 million dollar loss. No problem as long as THE MESSAGE was pushed.

Skydance doesn't. They are apeshit over this and basically accused Warner of concealing the extent of it.
 

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
35,527
105,650
But they haven't fired Gunn yet?

He's got diddler cred.

1791676754712.png


It gets you a couple extra swings at bat.
 

Wombat

Blackwing Lair Raider
2,972
1,599
Man of Tomorrow doesn't come out until July 9th (and is still being worked on).

He'll likely be kept on* until / close to then, but I very much doubt we'll see approvals for any new projects until they decide to extend him or not.

While Clayface comes out in two weeks, Season 2 of Creature Commandoes and Gorilla Grodd are already filming / in production.

*The movie industry seems to think both his and Safran's contracts only run to April '27 at the moment, so likely Ellison, etc. will judge the MoT cut / future projects list at that point and decide if they keep them and how much promo budget they throw at MoT.
 

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
28,807
21,891
Birdman and Revanant made a lot of fucking money for the producers and distributors, which helps the minds of these production companies a lot more when the director says "trust me, bro". Then attach Tom Cruise and they prob feel assured nothing THAT bad can happen.

I think I've settled on the message of Digger as: Bad things happen. We make funny media about bad things. We feel good to laugh and ridicule bad thing because it's bad. But we don't actually fix bad thing. Which is a fine message but maybe not 250 million fine.

I might rest on a 7.5/10 here