Disappearing from the internet

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
@Falxy-US if you want to disappear from the internet you have to stop using a cell phone and the internet in general. Even then you are going to get tagged in other peoples' stuff unless you go full hermit as well.

My research suggests the following for those options:

1. for phone calls, never use the actual cell phone function on your mobile device. Use only a VOIP (like from mysudo.com) so your actual cell number is always kept a secret so no one can trace your number back to you

2. VPNs with kill switches for internet use

3. when setting up internet service register it to a Trust if possible so it’s not under your name

4. when getting within five miles of home throw your phone in a faraday bag and don’t open it back up until you leave your house and are five miles away

-

Seems extreme as hell, but some people go these lengths. Mind blowing!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Found this on Reddit today. I always use a burner email and change accounts every few months regardless, but this saves a step:

325FC98B-3534-4513-A370-0692A0B23C80.jpeg

when getting within five miles of home throw your phone in a faraday bag and don’t open it back up until you leave your house and are five miles away

See, that is starting to get real. If you can set up a five mile perimeter (more rural you are = larger you want perimeter to be naturally) in which anything tracking is simply not happening, unless you are *seriously* being tracked I can't see how that does not just ... what? "no further data" I guess.

I do not think this sounds crazy at all. Eccentric, of course. But I hope this is not crazy for you. It just sounds like an interesting project to me. I have my own tactics for avoiding my own demented delusions, so this is wholesome in my view.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
See, that is starting to get real. If you can set up a five mile perimeter (more rural you are = larger you want perimeter to be naturally) in which anything tracking is simply not happening, unless you are *seriously* being tracked I can't see how that does not just ... what? "no further data" I guess.

I do not think this sounds crazy at all. Eccentric, of course. But I hope this is not crazy for you. It just sounds like an interesting project to me. I have my own tactics for avoiding my own demented delusions, so this is wholesome in my view.

That's a great point about further if rural. Where I'm in the process of moving, I'd probably do it within 10 miles of being home. What are some of your tactics you use?

Question for anyone still reading this:

I've read that even turning your phone off, it still will ping for location? I ask because the natural question is 'Why not just turn your phone off when close to home instead of using a faraday bag?" From Google-ing, and reading privacy subreddits, this seems to be true that it still pings. Insane man. Even in airplane mode.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
@Falxy-US if you want to disappear from the internet you have to stop using a cell phone and the internet in general. Even then you are going to get tagged in other peoples' stuff unless you go full hermit as well.

Can't even storm the capitol with a cell phone and have privacy, what is the world coming to?

That's a great point about further if rural. Where I'm in the process of moving, I'd probably do it within 10 miles of being home. What are some of your tactics you use?

Question for anyone still reading this:

I've read that even turning your phone off, it still will ping for location? I ask because the natural question is 'Why not just turn your phone off when close to home instead of using a faraday bag?" From Google-ing, and reading privacy subreddits, this seems to be true that it still pings. Insane man. Even in airplane mode.

If faraday cages or bags do what this thread is claiming, and they are not expensive, I would always use "failsafe" as my standard. That is what is intriguing about this.

Back in the 90's I purposely did not get a cell phone. I have a 2008 flip phone now. 3 people have the number.

BUT yes, I do business online sometimes. And often new accounts require a phone #. The phone is *not* in my name but I still am leaving a fat trail, as you can then imagine. I use a debit card at Amazon. The potential inroads multiply.

Disappearance is a massive undertaking. The next step down, targeted avoidance and targeted obfuscation are also extremely hard because look at it this way, to this entire system and its future growing potential, we are a puzzle that can be "solved" in numerous ways. You block one set of track, but there are others.

Being physically or informationally mobile in this society just leaves so many tracks these days. Simply owning a car plugs almost your entire basic data set into the system.

Sov Cits vainly fight this. You can drive w/o plates or license for a while, but you will get caught eventually. And then you are definitely in the system, especially if one is foolish enough (and they always are!) to "argue" with the cop or judge that you don't need any. Yeah. Might as well tattoo "surveil me" on your forehead.

Disappearance. Protection is a whole other kettle of fish. But I am not sure there is any legal way to disappear that isn't very radical. I mean, like moving to a country that has no government so no laws type radical. Freedom ain't free. Hehe.

I am sure there are illegal ways. One can forge an identity. But crime is boring. What is fun is trying to figure out things without really breaking any law, or harming anything at all. IMHO. I bear no grudge against those who want to run a hotter engine, but I'll bow out on those convos haha.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have a flip phone for my business and maybe a 3 or 4 people know the number and hasn't really been used in the last few yeas since I've been sick. It's just for emergeny come fix this type calls. Plus I could carry it for a 16 hour day and still hold a charge for probably 2-4 days. I don't have a facebook account anymore but when I did they never could pin down what state I lived in. Always ads on how to vote for this state and then an ad for the other state I live in at times. I'm either in MS or TX and when I go to sites that list where you are it always puts in me in WA state, no idea why. I lived there for a year 25 years ago, guessing it's from the IP still makes no sense.

My smart phone when I carry it it's always unlocked. Nothing on there they could use if I lost it and someone found it other than phone numbers. I don't pay for anything via the phone. My 100 year old grandmother has an Iphone and uses her smart phone more than me.

I just thought of another angle to put on the table for this thread.

There is clearly a market for security, anonymity, etc. This is actually a big deal. Myself, I personally have given up: I just assume "I" am in the system. But what I am basically admitting defeat about is, my right to privacy.

Maybe not so fast!

If there is a market for our interests, the market would meet it. Here is my scenario. The third part is the part I am certainly not, in this thread anyway, pretend I know shit:

1. Law is solid (I refuse to live anywhere there is not friggin habeus corpus -- so fuck off CHina)
2. The reason for this thread rears its head, and some "data" has been brought "against you" in some kind of legally-defined way (termination, lawsuit, etc etc).
3. Once a legal process is involved, the issue of "how was this data obtained?" becomes crucial because that is the "corpus" in the "habeus." Obtain firm specializaing in such.

Point: This is a market. Legal defense against actions based on digital evidence. The trail is so convoluted for that evidence, passing through dozens of jurisdictional hoops all the way up to a dubious Patriot Act etc. It is not that the data is true or false, it is that there are too many "checkpoints" in the system that **must** be legally verified that a skilled firm can make most plaintiffs drop the bullshit they are fucking with you about.

I like the fact we know Anthony Weiner is a wee bit o' a creep. He wants that private, don't run for goddam fucking public office you halfwit.

But this, beyond that kind of stuff, is a real issue for real people. If a working man gets fired for being at that "episode," even though I think the dude's not to be trusted with anything complex or mentally taxing, leave the dude fucking earn his goddam living.

----
tl;dr there are legal angles here that make it that you do not need, in every way, to "disappear." There are legal angles that, as long as the action against you is by our legal system, tell people to go pound sand.
----
Remember Gawker? Me either. Anyone here more familiar with law matters?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Pretty clear now a large segment of the population will give up and and all their privacy in return for a nickle off something.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
BUT yes, I do business online sometimes. And often new accounts require a phone #. The phone is *not* in my name but I still am leaving a fat trail, as you can then imagine. I use a debit card at Amazon. The potential inroads multiply.

What do you use for a shipping address on Amazon?.......

How are you on the internet right now? Unless you're using a VPN off someone else's internets, and browsing without cookies, the trail you're leaving is quite detailed, especially from having visited Amazon.com or any myriad of other sites that have so many other third party sites all grabbing information about you. I would not be surprised to find out it is viewed that someone who takes the time to do the aforementioned steps, are flagged for further investigation by certain government agencies.

It was around a decade ago iirc that Google found out their non end-to-end encrypted private links were being intercepted by the government. Zero day vulnerabilities pop up all the time, even things that have been found to have been broken for YEARS. And I recall in the ~mid 2000's, my Windows XP PC had an unscheduled Windows Update in the middle of the friggin day on a weekend, shit restarted with no confirmation. It had to do with some NSA key in Windows. And then there's the power infrastructure. Powerline networking is a thing. Wireless meter scans are a thing. And now useful satellite internet is going to be a thing, available in all the wilderness of the world.

You're on the grid, at least a grid, and as computing power grows, that is only going to become more and more detailed. From satellites that zoom in on the type of dirt on your shoes, to drones zooming in on the screen of your phone or your monitor from miles away, to software exploits that are essentially the equivalent to having Mr. CIA standing behind you watching everything you do, and capturing it to machine learning databases.

As for habeas corpus, good luck with that when you're considered a terrorist and welp, goodbye rights.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
What do you use for a shipping address on Amazon?.......

How are you on the internet right now? Unless you're using a VPN off someone else's internets, and browsing without cookies, the trail you're leaving is quite detailed, especially from having visited Amazon.com or any myriad of other sites that have so many other third party sites all grabbing information about you. I would not be surprised to find out it is viewed that someone who takes the time to do the aforementioned steps, are flagged for further investigation by certain government agencies.

It was around a decade ago iirc that Google found out their non end-to-end encrypted private links were being intercepted by the government. Zero day vulnerabilities pop up all the time, even things that have been found to have been broken for YEARS. And I recall in the ~mid 2000's, my Windows XP PC had an unscheduled Windows Update in the middle of the friggin day on a weekend, shit restarted with no confirmation. It had to do with some NSA key in Windows. And then there's the power infrastructure. Powerline networking is a thing. Wireless meter scans are a thing. And now useful satellite internet is going to be a thing, available in all the wilderness of the world.

You're on the grid, at least a grid, and as computing power grows, that is only going to become more and more detailed. From satellites that zoom in on the type of dirt on your shoes, to drones zooming in on the screen of your phone or your monitor from miles away, to software exploits that are essentially the equivalent to having Mr. CIA standing behind you watching everything you do, and capturing it to machine learning databases.

As for habeas corpus, good luck with that when you're considered a terrorist and welp, goodbye rights.

There are ways around Amazon, having it ship to an Amazon locker, or to a UPS store box, or somewhere else like that. Some utilities (ie internet) can be setup in a trusts name, and sometimes you can pay X months in advance in lieu of a credit check. Or you could use free public wifi if needed.

Absolutely agree about advancing tech. I guess a problem with that is if they surveil everyone, there's so much "noise" for them to filter to find someone doing something bad. Although, I bet basically every one of us has some bad we do daily that could be exposed!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Interesting OS setup:

It's portable operating system that protects against surveillance and censorship. Basically it's a 1.18 GB download, and you install it on a USB drive. Then you boot your computer from the USB drive. The operating system, by default, comes loaded with all apps setup for extreme privacy with no tracking, ie, Tor browser. There is no persistent storage, so when you shut down, everything is lost, and you restart from scratch each time you boot. There is an option to keep some storage persistent, like bookmarks, and there may be a password manager. The stuff you elect to keep is encrypted and password protected. Since it's on a USB drive, you can "carry" your operating system with you and boot on any computer with a USB port.

This isn't like a daily driver OS, but if you do things that you're particularly worried about, booting up on this OS and using public Wifi would keep you absolutely protected.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Interesting OS setup:

It's portable operating system that protects against surveillance and censorship. Basically it's a 1.18 GB download, and you install it on a USB drive. Then you boot your computer from the USB drive. The operating system, by default, comes loaded with all apps setup for extreme privacy with no tracking, ie, Tor browser. There is no persistent storage, so when you shut down, everything is lost, and you restart from scratch each time you boot. There is an option to keep some storage persistent, like bookmarks, and there may be a password manager. The stuff you elect to keep is encrypted and password protected. Since it's on a USB drive, you can "carry" your operating system with you and boot on any computer with a USB port.

This isn't like a daily driver OS, but if you do things that you're particularly worried about, booting up on this OS and using public Wifi would keep you absolutely protected.

I use a Tails/Tor/BTC combo for buying vapes of a certain plant that are legal in the US but illegal here via the Dark Net. Totally correct in that it's not a daily driver at all, there's no surface web or email systems on it etc. Works straight out the box and is very secure, if you need such a tool.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I've used Albine's "Delete Me" for over a year now since I was searching my name and found almost everything about me. It works. Yes, it's cheaper to go to all the websites (if you KNOW all the websites) and request it yourself. But, seeing as how they do it for me every quarter, it works.

Will have to check out Tails / Qubes OS and that ProtonMail.

I am not going to disrespect your views of course. So I'll say I hope you are wrong, and I hope I am right.

At least for myself, I will never remain in a country that loses the cold rule of law, and with it my goddam habeus corpus rights, plus others thnx :) Also, I truly feel pretty confident -- cocky even -- our basic "system" is a fucking beast. It is locked in in way more good ways than bad, imo. (That is why I am not a leftist....) The entire global economy depends on the US not fucking up. Trillions in capital depend on us not fucking up. Fuck with the system, you truly have fucked with the wrong Marine. And the rule of law, an historically excellent example of it in fact, is like Carmine Lupertazzi. It ain't going anywhere.

If you give me that premise I see no reason for red alert. Because since I have zero intention of ever getting anything close to anything terroristic, it is pretty easy to figure out how the law is always your friend.

Imagine me, a terrorist. Exactly.

I'm living the dream. Why would I blow this up?

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I am not going to disrespect your views of course. So I'll say I hope you are wrong, and I hope I am right.

At least for myself, I will never remain in a country that loses the cold rule of law, and with it my goddam habeus corpus rights, plus others thnx :) Also, I truly feel pretty confident -- cocky even -- our basic "system" is a fucking beast. It is locked in in way more good ways than bad, imo. (That is why I am not a leftist....) The entire global economy depends on the US not fucking up. Trillions in capital depend on us not fucking up. Fuck with the system, you truly have fucked with the wrong Marine. And the rule of law, an historically excellent example of it in fact, is like Carmine Lupertazzi. It ain't going anywhere.

If you give me that premise I see no reason for red alert. Because since I have zero intention of ever getting anything close to anything terroristic, it is pretty easy to figure out how the law is always your friend.

Imagine me, a terrorist. Exactly.

I'm living the dream. Why would I blow this up?

It took over half a decade before the Supreme Court ruled that Guantanamo detainees had the right to protection of the Constitution and thus Habeas Corpus. Now granted, it'd be a stretch for citizens to fall into that same years long nightmare of no rights, but you rally the masses with propaganda and they'll let anything slide. And it's not about you being or not being a terrorist, it's the implication that you could be one. There were plenty of muslim men that were shifted around various prisons between multiple states for months or longer simply so due process could not occur, and that all happened from someone saying they were a terrorist, no real evidence provided.

We do not know what the future holds, but we do know that sometimes people lose their rights. What else could possibly go wrong that we end up with the same loss of rights of certain people? I find it interesting that over recent years there has been more and more government/military information coming out about UFOs. And thanks to the recent stimulus bill, in less than six months there's supposed to be an unclassified report. "He's an alien, get him!"

• 1Like
Absolutely. Absolutely correct. Things can go to hell much, much faster than people realize.

I asked a Colonel in the US army once, how long would it take for the East Coast, for example, to tur into Somalia? He said, "if you will grant me a complete power outage and a major hurricane, a week.

But, here is something you don't count in, and I do. You are still basically right, but I count in, there are a hella lot of people -- pretty much every goddam lawyer and certainly every judge, for starters -- who love the system the way it is. They do not want a monkey court of political people running monkey trials.

And even further, this is another angle I feel cocky about: neither does our military.

They do swear an oath to a legal document. Think about that.

I wish Americans were happier. We got a lot of stuff dead right. I think we all need a vacation or something.

But as always, I might be wrong, but I hope I am not.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Something I learned using the Proton VPN. I had been connecting to NYC since its close and thus has the lowest ping. But as I left the VPN running the servers would go to 100% capacity and slow my ass down to a turtle. Thus disconnect/reconnect to another server and the NYC servers were rarely green.

One day I decided to connect to a Miami server. ping was marginally more but not really an inconvenience. Those servers never seem to go to 100% and I can stay connected to the same server for days without issue. Gonna play around with other US servers to see If I can find better ping while still staying green all day.

• 1Like