Disappearing from the internet

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Thanks for sharing.
sharing-is-caring.jpg

tl:dr why isn't it always "therefore guns" with some of you guys?
you mean, just in a basic sense? statistics, ultimately.

edit: but let me add, I mean, there is always going to be noise in the system. So, if you have a system where the options are "always therefore guns" and "not always therefore guns" even if the system is designed, even optimized, for the former gate, X, the opposite gate -- not-X -- is always potential and then actual as noise, but also, as an expression of the play that is impossible to get rid of in any technical system.

My first post answered your question, dude.

Last edited:

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So, my next step of privacy is upping my browser and adblocker game.

My first step:

Install ProtonVPN. This is available from Proton, who we should probably all be using for email at this point. ProtonVPN is a VPN service that also allows for blocking malware, ads, and trackers. It also features an internet kill switch, which drops the internet connection if the connection to the VPN is broken, to prevent an IP address leak. There is also an option for a "secure core" which routes traffic to Proton's servers in Sweden, however I found using this option broke multiple websites or made things unusable. It may only be needed when doing things with sensitive information - I need to research this more.

I approached the browser problem two different ways:

- Initially I was using Safari, because I have years of passwords store for my mac, and half these sites I don't even know my password anymore, so I wanted to preserve this. I find Safari to be a nice browser. So I downloaded Adguard as a Safari extension. Adguard + ProtonVPN provided adequate protection for Safari, and I felt that I was able to block most trackers and ads. I also disabled cross site tracking. The bad thing about this setup is that it locks me into the Apple platform, and if I want to leave, all my passwords are stored on the Apple only keychain. Also it bothered me that Adguard is always running as a service in my system tray, even if Safari is closed.

- I knew I was going to end up needing a password manager outside of Apple's keychain. So I researched and found 1Password, and found a script online that goes through all of your Apple keychain passwords and writes them out to a .CSV file that can be converted and imported into 1Password. So in about ten minutes I was able to get all my Apple keychain passwords into 1Password. 1Password is easy enough to use.

- My next step was to try Firefox. Firefox has been around forever. I downloaded it and started setting it up. It's fucking ugly, and I found it cumbersome to use, and didn't enjoy it at all. And there were so many extension to download, and it just looked like shit. I hated it. I also heard on the No Agenda podcast that Mozilla has some woke issues.

- My most recent step was trying Brave, a Chrome-based browser. It's freaking slick. It looks just as nice as Safari, and it's freaking fast. It has a lot of built in security and adblocking things. Their website lists these as security features: ad blocking, fingerprinting prevention, cookie control, HTTPS upgrading, ability to block scripts, per-site settings. There seems to be a handful of settings for people who are into cryptocurrency, but I don't mess with that at all so I disabled all those. Brave allows for the 1Password extension, and it worked flawlessly immediately. Basically with Brave, it has ad blockers & trackers, etc, all built in. So all these things that required extensions and add-ons to Firefox are just built in and work beautiful together without duplicating efforts. So I feel Brave + ProtonVPN is a fantastic setup.

So, I really like my current setup. These are my worries at this point: if I lock myself into Brave + 1Password, I'm at risk if 1Password ever shuts down or quits working. I'll have all my crap there and if they close shop I'm screwed. But I like it because if I use a windows computer, or anything else, I can still access all my passwords and not have to tote my laptop around everywhere I go for all my logins to be on there through Apple's keychain...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Also-

For iPhone, you can download the Brave browser as well, and the 1Password app. You just set your iPhone to use 1Password to autofill passwords instead of Apple's keychain. And you can have your Brave browsers sync between computers and phone. It's wonderful, works fine. For my iPhone I'm using Brave + ProtonVPN.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Been using Brave for a bit. It’s fast as fuck but it’s a little behind on features, but not to the point that I care. The syncing between devices is a little funky but I think that’s by design for privacy reasons. Their built in shields can be strange as well and can break a bunch of stuff. I preferred the more granular controls on NoScript to basically just slowly turn things on until a site worked and leave it at that but it hasn’t come up too much. Brave’s also has some level of control but it’s a bit harder to use.

Haven’t tried ProtonVPN or any VPN yet but I’ll probably end up grabbing it. 1Password is great and it’s nice for more than just passwords. I also use it to store my CC info and it will auto fill that for you, too, so I no longer store any payment information online if I can help it. It also makes adding 2FA and using 2FA a breeze. Same issue of course as you stated if it’s a lot of shit all in one place, so if it shits the bed, it’s not going to be a good time. It integrates nicely into iPhone as well and in most cases can be opened and quickly accessed from whatever login screen you’re at.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This discussion is really useful, thank you -- switched to protonmail already, I'll check out Brave

Cannot for the life of me wrap my head around some of the lengths yall go to, to avoid just remembering passwords. its like a Rube Goldberg machine. No harm done, but there really is an easier solution to this password thing.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This discussion is really useful, thank you -- switched to protonmail already, I'll check out Brave

Cannot for the life of me wrap my head around some of the lengths yall go to, to avoid just remembering passwords. its like a Rube Goldberg machine. No harm done, but there really is an easier solution to this password thing.
I keep a password log (I have a ton of complex passwords) I encrypt with 256 bit encryption. It takes a step to unecrypt it but I dont notice the step at this point.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

For me it ends up that all these sites have different password requirements. Then different places I work all have different requirements so everything ends up on a different cycle. Oh I can’t use Falxy12, then Falxy123? Ok I will try Aldarion 12. And it gets insane. I keep a file on my phone that has a lot of my stupid logins for when I use other computers.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I work in IT support and do side work for people, as well as some hobby clubs. Needless to say I have about five sets or rotating passwords I have to keep track of. I rely on my memory, but I am starting to get old enough that I am considering Falxy's idea of an encryted file.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I work in IT support and do side work for people, as well as some hobby clubs. Needless to say I have about five sets or rotating passwords I have to keep track of. I rely on my memory, but I am starting to get old enough that I am considering Falxy's idea of an encryted file.
It really does work. it also allows you to use very complex passwords because you dont have to memorize all of them. Just never forget the encryption password. :D

• 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
For me it ends up that all these sites have different password requirements. Then different places I work all have different requirements so everything ends up on a different cycle. Oh I can’t use Falxy12, then Falxy123? Ok I will try Aldarion 12. And it gets insane. I keep a file on my phone that has a lot of my stupid logins for when I use other computers.
I agree that the inconsistent and dumb password requirements share a lot of the blame here. But the end user suffers the cost.

I find that using long pass phrases with consistent capitalization rules, plus a couple characters to satisfy password rules, gives easy to remember passwords that are not realistically open to brute force.

I also find that 90% of the sites that ask me for a password, I don't give a flying fuck about security on those sites and find it ridiculous they're even bothering to secure my account with a password. So they get the "I dont give a fuck" password, which is very easy to remember.

Also - "forgot password" is easily accessible on almost every site that asks for a password.

Neither of these solutions (remembering the password or retrieving the password) require me to (a) enter my passwords into TWO different places instead of just one, or (b) add ANOTHER layer of passwords.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My five sets or rotating have a system that makes them complex and I use them for specific purposes. But as stated, not everywhere allows 12+ character passwords so sometimes I get fucked and have to use a lame one. I also have 2FA on nearly everything that matters which unfortunately Google has the best client for.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It really does work. it also allows you to use very complex passwords because you dont have to memorize all of them. Just never forget the encryption password. :D

I've got a keepass file that I keep synced across all my devices with an obnoxious password. It has worked well for me for years.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've got a keepass file that I keep synced across all my devices with an obnoxious password. It has worked well for me for years.
Some folks have told me about lastpass and for whatever reason, I am more comfortable just doing the encrypt/unencrypt myself.