Disney+ Streaming Service

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Its not a major property like Little Mermaid, but its still a sign that they are taking this seriously as a content delivery mechanism.

Maybe they will try to finally pull the cord and break away from theaters. Offer "premium" releases of new films for 5 bucks to members. The dam has been ready to break on that front for a while. Have been wondering if the age of the movie is coming to an end, given how much people seem to prefer the 8-10 hour season format, and now there is such a small difference in quality given home theater systems and internet content delivery.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am totally on board with this strategy. I'll pay $5 to get comfy on my couch and watch new films on my 4k. Theaters are dinosaurs.

Edit - except for true IMAX. True IMAX is still an experience worth doing.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
When I lived in Phoenix the wife and I would go to the Studio Movie Grill about 2-3 times a month. Mostly for opening night shows. We could reserve our own loveseat so nobody would bother us and have food/drinks delivered.

Since we moved back to small town PA we've been to the theater half a dozen times at most. Usually have some giant fat people spilling into your seat or kids kicking the back of your chair etc.

Just realized because of this we haven't actually seen a movie in a theater since Deadpool.

Id happily pay for new movie releases to watch at home to avoid humanity.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I still want to contact them and see if they can delay my 3 year payed experience until next year because I'm getting 1yr free from Verizon.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The word is no.

I'm sure it will be worked out but until then it's pretty much a no go for me.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
My Amazon Fire stick still has no support for XFinity streaming. I don't know what's going on between Amazon, Developers, and the content providers but something is amiss.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My Amazon Fire stick still has no support for XFinity streaming. I don't know what's going on between Amazon, Developers, and the content providers but something is amiss.
They do that, they had the big fight with Google over YouTube as well. Amazon trying to swing that dick around, establish a competing ecosystem, they probably wanted to have Bezos fuck Iger's wife or something as a precondition for allowing fire stick functionality.

May be time to consider a new solution, imo, this shit is only going to continue with them. I had a chromecast and it was lame, maybe a roku or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
How do you get this shit? Ive had verizon for eons now.
It was pretty easy. They sent me a text message. I have the one of the unlimited 4G Verizon Wireless plans.

Edit: sorry, I forgot to link the text message. Here you go. You can probably use the same link.

Screenshot_20191030-145857_Messages.jpg

Last edited:

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Wording is weird for Fios customers. Says it's included for new customers, but I haven't seen anything for existing chumps like me.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Maybe they will try to finally pull the cord and break away from theaters. Offer "premium" releases of new films for 5 bucks to members. The dam has been ready to break on that front for a while. Have been wondering if the age of the movie is coming to an end, given how much people seem to prefer the 8-10 hour season format, and now there is such a small difference in quality given home theater systems and internet content delivery.

I'm all in - but honestly I would pay a HUGE premium. I would gladly pay $50-100 on release date to stream to my house instead of going to the theater.

Still no word on this for Amazon fire devices?

Is there a list of devices that Disney+ will have apps for? Ie Roku, Samsung smart TVs, etc?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm all in - but honestly I would pay a HUGE premium. I would gladly pay $50-100 on release date to stream to my house instead of going to the theater.

Is there a list of devices that Disney+ will have apps for? Ie Roku, Samsung smart TVs, etc?

From what I remember reading about, there were two strategies. One was setting it up like you mentioned, a pay per view scheme where they make it pretty expensive but expect it to be an "event". In that scheme, its not meant to replace theaters, but supplement them with the people who don't want to go out but don't mind spending the money. Then there is the cheaper version which is just meant to be a coup de grace to most theaters. From what I understand, half the reason theaters bow down to big studios now is because they are terrified of this. (In addition to Disney dick waving and denying their huge amount of movies per year of theaters don't follow their rules).

Meh, in the end, though, the "night out at the movies" for NEW films has been set to go the way of the dodo ever since HD digital broadcasts became possible, its been a long time coming. I have a feeling in the future the "theater" is going to end up being its own experience rather than just the place you go to see new films. More like Alamo Draft house, somewhere that is actually designed to be a night out--while people who just want to watch movies are going to get them at home.

But who knows, theaters have held on quite a bit longer than I'd have thought 10 years ago.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm also curious about a quality device to stream Disney+ on my tv. It's retarded that Fire stuff won't work. If they don't sort that out I'll probably buy something on Black Friday and be annoyed about it. So what should I buy?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was looking through that yesterday, it looks like the Roku Streaming Stick+ is the best of the bunch. Fucking blows because we have a lot tied into the Amazon fire stuff.

spronk

FPS noob
newer TVs will get new/updated apps, I believe LG is on the list and maybe Samsung and TCL?

You can always cast from a phone to your TV with whatever apple does and chromecast, so thats one option.

Roku is probably the next best option. I imagine they will release a Xbox and PS4 app at some point.

One of the reasons I bought in for stadia founder though, for $130 you get a chromecast ultra ($50) and a controller ($60) and d+ will work with the ultra in 4K with HDR. My office LG will get a D+ app but bedroom Samsung is older so will probably stick the Chromecast in there and can fuck around with stadia games at the same time.

If you have a really old TV black friday is a great time to think about upgrading, Costco will be selling the 65" TCL R series for $599 and that is a fantastic TV with amazing HDR support and it also supports Dolby Vision. The 77" LG OLED will be $5k too lol