Divinity: Original Sin 2

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
As someone who never played the first game, this thing is WAY more complicated and overwhelming than I could have imagined. Almost cripplingly so.

That's my concern watching streams. I don't know wtf is going on when watching it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't think this is a good game for streaming, unless you already know what's happening.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Same thing as X-Com really; kinda hard to watch without knowing the game system.

They do really dump you in to combat without much preparation though, and in to much more complicated fights as well. First game started with some pretty basic undead encounters etc, but this one is all NOPE HAVE SOME TELEPORTING CROCODILES BECAUSE FUCK YOU.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
Is there a way to actually grind or anything? i keep getting my ass kicked by these fire slugs in some cave, the one royal nibba just chucks 30 damage fireballs at me lol

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It seems that this game punishes you for getting into fights that you could have avoided. Except it doesn't seem to inform you How to avoid them. I picked a fight with Griff on accident and his squad just put me down.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I spent over an hour starting then rerolling because I changed my mind on a class. Think I am finally decided on going custom undead elf necro/geomancer with lone wolf, and I'll grab Fane as my only companion and make him fire/summoner. Hoping double undead can synergize somewhat with aoe poison attacks and such, but with all the rerolling I haven't had time to play past the boat sinking. Going to really get into it this afternoon.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Played until 3AM. I made a custom elf conj and snagged ifan and turned him into a conj and gave both the lone wolf talent. Rushed to get the L10 incarnate summon and have pretty much had my way with everything on the island so far without any issue including killing half of the fort joy magisters in an epic 2 v 10 when they wanted to send me to jail.

Game is fantastic.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Is there a way to actually grind or anything? i keep getting my ass kicked by these fire slugs in some cave, the one royal nibba just chucks 30 damage fireballs at me lol

You don't need to kill the slugs and if you have pet pal talent they are part of a story. I think right now my two lone wolf conj sit at around 90/70 & 80/70 or so phys/magic armor from just blowing up random mobs from side quests and destroying magisters and taking their loot and finding random stuff while exploring. They literally put chests/places to dig etc EVERYWHERE so if you think you can reach it via teleportation or other means explore. It's worth it =]

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't know if I like this Magic Armor/Phys Armor thing. It blocks all status effects and punishes you for splitting half your group into magic damage and half into phys damage.

Caliane

yeah, does seem to. its good in that its harder to cheese. but, yeah, I have not figured out the caveat to splitting party damage. phys/magic. it seems purely negative atm. Its not really that diff from like fire and water though, I suppose. but there must be some benefit to it.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it really punishes 3/1 splits. My first endeavor was a group of 2 fighters, a ranger, and a mage. The mage couldn't do shitttttt since he was the only one plinking away at enemies' magic armor.

I don't think 2/2 is so bad, and you do get weapons that involve bonus magic damage (of an element) that'll help a bit. Even so, I rerolled my personal group to be Rogue, Ranger, Cleric and Knight. Going well so far, and feels awesome to pwn the shit out of mages who don't have Phys Armor, but I do dread some future fights with mega badass Rock Golems or some such monster that has massive physical armor and is weak to magic, and my party's just like uhhhhhhhhh anyone got some wands?

My gripe about targeting remains (as j00t highlights), but have you guys noticed two things: 1, the Opportunity Attack icon lies, in that you can mouse back and forth around the edge of an enemy and it'll show and hide the special sword/jagged icon, but if you move juuuuuust outside the range (when the icon does go back to normal) you'll still get hit. This has happened to me in multiple fights. 2, Oil isn't incorporated in the tooltip for movement, IE you can put your mouse beyond a pool of oil and it'll say "2 AP to this point", click, and your guy uses 3 or even 4 fucking AP to get there.

Needless

Toe Sucker
i'm probably gonna remake when i get off work, i still wanna be a skelebro but i dont like what i did with the rest of my characters (defaults on all origin characters)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The physical/magic armor split only feels like a detriment early on (the island). You quickly start encountering enemies that are just massive fucking tanks in one direction or the other, so stacking 100% to either side seems like a really, really bad idea.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
When somebody joins your party and you don't want their default roll, do you get to fully customize them?

Like can i just give -everybody- zombie and have poison shit all over the screen?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
No, you get to pick their class and then they are the default loadout for that class.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The physical/magic armor split only feels like a detriment early on (the island). You quickly start encountering enemies that are just massive fucking tanks in one direction or the other, so stacking 100% to either side seems like a really, really bad idea.
I mean if you stack heavily into one, you can burn their armor really quickly too, but it makes you waste basically a full turn to do it. So far I've split 2-2 and I've been pretty happy with it. A few fights have like no physical armor but a bunch of magic armor(slugs, silent monks) but I just focus my 2 mages on one guy to burn his armor and teleport the other fuckers around to buy time while my tank and rogue dismantle other shit. Works ok, it's just in these cases I had my fighter focus one mob with knockdown chains and my rogue kill another, while the mages had to focus the same target, can't each take a target or CC multiple shit.

Rogue is finally starting to gain some steam, got the 2 unique daggers off some named fuck, with Haste+Clear Mind+Encourage+Flesh Offering+Adrenaline, I'm tearing motherfuckers apart. I've also been dumping every single stat into finesse so it's a bit glass canon but not so bad. Lack of Levitate makes it a pain to use fire everywhere and shit. I mean I'm using like Magical Armor or whatever which is like Fortify for magic so I just walk through the flames and shit without taking damage but it used to be a lot simpler in the first game.

Oh also reading on reddit that in act2 you can respec everything, including appearances of your companion. Guess you just have to deal with the shittier specs until then, it's not a big deal though. For the zombie talent stuff, you get a talent point very early on, at like lvl 3 iirc to spend on shit. Next one is quite a long time after that so don't want to waste it but if you want zombie you can do it pretty early by gaining exploration/quest xp and not fighting much.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I find myself obsessing with keeping the cat alive this time around. I never bothered during my two EA playthroughs. I want to see what happens this time.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It seems that this game punishes you for getting into fights that you could have avoided. Except it doesn't seem to inform you How to avoid them. I picked a fight with Griff on accident and his squad just put me down.

F5 F8 are your friend