Divinity: Original Sin 2

Caliane

noted this morning reading the reddit.

This game takes place 1200 years after D:OS 1.
Specifically, AFTER Divine divinity. Before Divinity2: Dragon knight saga.
Dragon commander 8800AR.
Original Sin:4AR
Divine Divinity: 1218 AD
Divinity OS2: 1235ish.
Beyond Divinity: 1238 AD
Divinity 2:dragonknight 1300AD

Might want to read up on the wiki of Divine divinity, Beyond Divinity, and possibly Divinity 2, if not outright play them before this. Seems pretty likely there will be much more overlap in lore, then OS had.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

undead reveal
can be undead(skeleton) of all races. not just human. elf, dwarf, lizard skeletons as well.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Im in for any grouping you guys wanna do I'll start a character just for it this is EXACTLY what ive waited for.

Flowers of Happiness reborn. Let's do this.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I almost never get collectors editions but I really liked this one. The order went through but the shop said they only had 1000 available.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was hoping to coop play this with the wife. That's possible right? Does anyone know if PC will support controller +keyboard at the same time?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Was hoping to coop play this with the wife. That's possible right? Does anyone know if PC will support controller +keyboard at the same time?

Controller support and UI as well as split-screen co-op are planned to be added after full PC release. EA period will be used for testing and improving PC controls (mouse and keyboard) and UI.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Controller support and UI as well as split-screen co-op are planned to be added after full PC release. EA period will be used for testing and improving PC controls (mouse and keyboard) and UI.
So available right on Sept 14th? If not, no biggie, gotta get through D:OS EE first.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As someone who knows absolutely nothing about these games...is there any video with a good synopsis? All I can find is trailers and gameplay videos, but they don't do a good job selling it.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
As someone who knows absolutely nothing about these games...is there any video with a good synopsis? All I can find is trailers and gameplay videos, but they don't do a good job selling it.

If you aren't a fan of turn based combat and d&d esque gaming then it's probably not for you.

If you enjoy either then you will enjoy it.

If you can find a copy of the original divinity enhanced edition for $20 I'd say buy it and give it a whirl. This upcoming game will be more robust.

Barring that go snag a copy of something like the original Baldurs Gate which is usually a few bucks and it'll give you an inkling.

Edit: If you don't want the fantasy world then Fallout 2 or Wasteland 2 are both good as well if you have never played them and they are in a similar vein.

• 1Like

Sulrn

Deuces
I would definitely push Tyranny any day over BG 1/2. BG was good for it's day, but even EE shows it's age. Tyranny's magic system is also the closest thing you're going to get to replicating what D:OS 1/2 does with it's elemental magic combos.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
BG1 felt arcane even when I played it in middle school. I just really dislike low-level D&D. BG2 felt better since you start at a higher level so you can actually do shit. However D:OS's combat is far more fluid and engaging than a standard D&D ruleset so even if you dislike BG1/2, Planescape, Icewind I wouldn't necessarily let that sour you on this game. I'd say it is more like Wasteland or Pillars.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Looks like they took combat from D:OS and gave it a dose of +gooder. I very much approve.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Very satirical over the top humour over a usually dark story in a world where using the "source" is viewed somewhat like men using saidin in the Wheel of Time books. It can put some people off as the humour they add usually can seem out of place and random. Rarely forced though, just can be unexpected that might cause some to think "that was stupid". Larian Studios also do it to such a degree that it permiates the entire game, so it might be enough to quit for some. (I enjoy it though).

Combat is great though. No respawning enemies either, so every encounter is static and can be very tactical, differing a lot by the classes and skills you have available. Can't really outlevel content unless you do harder content before exploring lower level content. Highly recommend trying a bit of a higher difficulty since it alters the tactics of combat and nearly all encounters substantially.

I highly enjoyed the first game of this series, have had the EA version of this for over a year now I think. Can't wait to actually sit down and try it. Still never done more than one or two encounters on the first island.

• 2Solidarity

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I held out for as long as I could.

Last week I finally caved and bought the early access (for those who don't know you can only play the first chapter). I played the game until there was no content left for me to play and I couldn't be more excited for the rest of it to unlock on the 14th. The first game was great, but 2 improves on it in every way. Steam says I have 65 hours played, but I started over after realizing I didn't like what I had done with my characters after about 3 hours played. tI also spent quite a bit of time afk. All in all I put in about 30 hours of actual play into the first chapter. To be fair, I'm a fairly methodical player and it can easily been done much quicker, but I wasn't dragging my feet. I just explore everything.

Highly recommend.

• 2Like

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So in my old(er) age, I really am starting to dislike micromanaging things in general and the idea of a solo single character play-through while getting the Wasteland/BG gameplay is pretty much a match made in heaven for me. Has anyone in EA played it solo or am I signing up for nut-punching hardmode?

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Challenging how? In OS:D, you could do the hardest difficulty with 2 lone wolves (maybe 1?) but you had to use stealth/invis to prep a lot of fights with oil/fire, gas etc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's some semi broken build for soloing that doesn't involve prefight shit, but not sure if it won't be nerfed in the release version. Basically you get Retribution(reflect 10% of the damage you take to the enemy per point) and Necromancy(Heals for 10% of the damage you do per point) and once you scale it enough, you kinda heal most of the damage you take, making you super tanky. Also does damage indirectly, then you add whatever for damage and maybe a shield so you can use Shields Up and heal your armor.

There is also Lone Wolf(renamed One Man Army, but might be renamed back to Lone Wolf after not sure), but we haven't seen the actual release version of it, the EA one is garbage but supposedly the release one will be similar to the D:OS1. So you could 2man probably. You can't really 2man the EA that easily because CC is OP as fuck, but they're nerfing CC in the release version so that the first application of an effect gives you the minor effect(so lightning would shock you, cold would chill you etc) and then once you're in that state, another application will apply the actual effect(electrocution/freeze etc), so it shouldn't be as bad. You'd probably want some points in the shit that "heals" you after you get CCed too maybe or I don't know.

I think there's definitely going to be ways to play with less than 4, but it'll require solid planning in general, which means it might not be optimal right at launch. The issue is there's really no way to know currently because the EA is outdated shit and you can't really test much, plus the issue of late game scaling. The first game had basically 2 difficulty spikes, very early when you have shit skills and low AP and what not, and very late with the Deathknights doing high damage per hit and being immune to a bunch of CC. Most of the stuff inbetween was pretty easy regardless as long as you didn't build like non combat characters or a dual wield axes+bow with 3schools of magic to buff yourself.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
So in my old(er) age, I really am starting to dislike micromanaging things in general and the idea of a solo single character play-through while getting the Wasteland/BG gameplay is pretty much a match made in heaven for me. Has anyone in EA played it solo or am I signing up for nut-punching hardmode?

Just play explorer instead of classic and it should be no prob.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I can't play release night but I can play on Saturday or something if anyone wants to.