Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just a heads up. BETA patch is up on Steam.
Well that patch certainly upped the quality of the game. Graphics are smoother for me, but the loading times are the biggest difference.

Loading up the game for me before could take as long as the entire first piano song, nearly 5 minutes. Now, 15 seconds. They have added around 6 or 7 classes since I tried it last too. Got some strange FPS lag issues in the opening cut scene though, which is strange since it is only a painted flash animation. It was choppy, skipped frames and audio lagged. Odd considering how fluid in game is now.

Opening area is improved. Now instead of just fighting a crab, you have a little tutorial dungeon, which is really helpful in showing the smaller things (like breaking objects, consequences for that, moving and manipulating objects, etc).

I was wrong with Beta adding most of the content though. It is still only the first zone map (20ish hours), only it opened up a few extra parts that were blocked off (like the tutorial dungeon). So now I think it offers the full first zone (unsure of how many there are supposed to be in the final release).

I started a new save with a Witch and a Fighter. Considering that it is still in "updates will break savegames" phase, I doubt I will play it much, but now that it is massively optimized compared to when I played it last, I will probably keep going for a few hours at least. I enjoy these games, but since the encounters and things are fairly static, I dislike doing them repeatedly. Don't want the full release to come only to be demotivated to play it because I have to replay 20 hours to get to the new content.

I am even more optimistic now though than I was before. It looks great and the atmosphere is fantastic.

Sulrn

Deuces
Well that patch certainly upped the quality of the game. Graphics are smoother for me, but the loading times are the biggest difference.

Loading up the game for me before could take as long as the entire first piano song, nearly 5 minutes. Now, 15 seconds. They have added around 6 or 7 classes since I tried it last too. Got some strange FPS lag issues in the opening cut scene though, which is strange since it is only a painted flash animation. It was choppy, skipped frames and audio lagged. Odd considering how fluid in game is now.

Opening area is improved. Now instead of just fighting a crab, you have a little tutorial dungeon, which is really helpful in showing the smaller things (like breaking objects, consequences for that, moving and manipulating objects, etc).

I was wrong with Beta adding most of the content though. It is still only the first zone map (20ish hours), only it opened up a few extra parts that were blocked off (like the tutorial dungeon). So now I think it offers the full first zone (unsure of how many there are supposed to be in the final release).

I started a new save with a Witch and a Fighter. Considering that it is still in "updates will break savegames" phase, I doubt I will play it much, but now that it is massively optimized compared to when I played it last, I will probably keep going for a few hours at least. I enjoy these games, but since the encounters and things are fairly static, I dislike doing them repeatedly. Don't want the full release to come only to be demotivated to play it because I have to replay 20 hours to get to the new content.

I am even more optimistic now though than I was before. It looks great and the atmosphere is fantastic.
Never doubt the Swen.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I may have to revisit Divinity 2 after reading this. Don't remember what turned me off to it.
It had a pretty slow start, and it was by no means the pinnacle of game design, but I did enjoy it enough to beat it. I think if I hadn't played twenty years of fantasy games I would've enjoyed it much more.

If I recall correctly, my biggest complaint was that it felt MMOish but lacked the gear carrot. The loot upgrades came too quickly and were very disappointing by the time I started getting the best gear in the game.

Caliane

Divinity2 itself is fairly mediocre as a game. I mean, its probably on part with like Amalur. Not great, not awful.
But its witty, silly writing, and fantastic voicework is transcendent. It takes what would be a pretty forgettable game, and makes it a must play.

Might be notable, this game so far, seems the opposite. No voice work. Dialogue seems pretty generic so far. Im sure there will be some jokes to come. but I haven't seen any yet.
The game systems however, are just wonderful. on the surface at least. Again, I did play this last night, but I ended up stopping at the same place, shortly after the entering the town.

The class and combat systems are so intriguing.

This beta patch added classes. (and the ability to customize looks)
It should be noted, the classes are pretty much entirely cosmetic/there for a guideline. I suppose the skills you start with might be exclusive? But otherwise, skill trees are totally open. And stats are entirely open as well.
Early game I am even wondering how much points I will get, and how much allowance for combat vs social there is. with only 2 players or characters, you can't really do the tank, dps, healer, buffer/charisma social guy of DnD. or having your wizard ID stuff, etc.
Multiple playthroughs?

Then combat itself is of course looking really cool with all the crazy spell interactions. does this favor spells heavily? seems like it might.
Rogue+not rogue seems like it might be a pain in the ass. the game in single player will automatically split the party when the rogue stealths, which is nice. but at the same time, really slows the game down. And without a full party to back the rogue up, I'm not entirely sure how useful it is.

Intro dungeon is a great addition.
I was a little confused that throwing candles into the oil slick didn't work. Why are they "burning", if they can't be used like that?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Im sure there will be some jokes to come. but I haven't seen any yet.
Well I thought the final line of the patch notes was funny, but not sure if intentional.

- [Gameplay] I have some issues with Yoranus

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Jesus, inventory management is such a pain, I'll never understand why devs won't notice these things. Also, how big is your party going to be, or does it stay at the two guys you create at the start?

Caliane

Jesus, inventory management is such a pain, I'll never understand why devs won't notice these things. Also, how big is your party going to be, or does it stay at the two guys you create at the start?
"Each hero can hire a henchman. And you can summon elementals. So party size can grow up to four. If you're feeling really bold, you can try to take on combat without henchmen, but good luck with all that! "
"Yep. And you get to equip them, level them, and manage their inventories"

looking at the faq for that.

I suspect that means henchmen are effectively combat units, playable almost the same as a full character, but probably don't interact with dialogue. So, it probably does make sense to lean on social skills with one of the main chars, and henchmen for combat/crafting.

It is alpha/beta. what issues with inventory?

The window size could be bigger. But, the sort options, to the left, let you cut that down well imho. I'm not sure what more you want.

One thing that should be noted. Lift weight, and inventory weight are combined.

So, if your character has a 120lb lift capacity.. and is holding 50lbs of gear. they can only lift 70 lb objects.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I don't like how everyone has their own inventory and if you want to move things around you have to pick up each individual item, click&hold and then drag it up to the top of the screen where you switch to the next characters inventory. I don't know if there's a better way, but it's just slow and tedious.

Caliane

yes, those are valid complaints.
talking to merchants, only active character is talking to them, buying/selling. there appears to be arrows to swap to other characters.. but it doesnt do anything?
gold is split to each char individually.
and yeah. trading items, does require dragging all the way to the standard party heads. that is annoying.

Part of this, is its a multiplayer game remember.

Sulrn

Deuces
In the beta update video from Swen, he mentions part of the last things going in are language localizations and voice acting.

Not sure if the comment about no voices was a gripe or not.

Caliane

Didn't he say they weren't going to be doing much voices on purpose? or am I thinking of different game. might have been child of light... i

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that was in the child of light video that just released.

Well played a good ways into the game , but have ran into two game stopping bugs...shame really, was thoroughly enjoying it thus far.Itemization is decent , although they need to add a lvl req on skills descriptions like when you can raise them to lvl 2 , would be nice but small gripe. What is nice though , if you raise your skills with items you can use lvl 2 air spells for example...kinda neat as you can get some great spells if you get lucky with an item that has say plus 1 to air magic. One thing i do hate is item durability , that shit needs to change. As you lose durability with each repair , which is stupid imo and its not a small lose its huge. But if you want to blow through fights , just make an archer....that machine gun arrow skill is OP as fuck.

So played a bit more , quit a few game stopping bugs to where game crashes when you enter the area.....my guess it has to do with poison on the floor to where you cleanse it with spell interactions. Leaves some bad code i guess once you leave the area and return to it/reload. Bummer really , went a different route on this playthrough and what is awesome or maybe not to some is loot is random each go around. Like say you find an awesome +1 to a skill in one spot and then make a new game to find that same item , it will not be there. Kinda cool i guess , really digging that aspect to be honest makes playing a new game that much more fun imo. The traits really need a rework , because starting off you really want to grab a select few right off the bat. Been mainly playing spell casters/archers as melee is kinda meh as shit on the floor really fucks melee over. Sure you can grab traits to not be affected by it , but that makes you take a shit ton of dmg to another. Why deal with that when i just can go ranged , so they need to sort that out.

The questing is rather fun so far , not hard to complete them....but you can skip steps in one quest line but didnt seem to bug it out so that was good. Fire mages are Gods in this though , once you get Firefly/Fireball and the Elemental you are pretty much not gonna lose fights early on , that being said the other schools need to be made on par with fire. Water is good , but once you freeze something your weapons take huge durability hits if you melee/shoot them. Air has been decent , but spell interactions are very cool as well thus far.

Sulrn

Deuces
Official release set for June 20th.

Now I need to figure out who to give my second copy to.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems they released a large patch too. Might pick it up. Or I'll buy your 2nd copy Sulrn, doesn't make much of a difference for me but might be less expensive. Sent you a PM.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Good patch, They fixed a lot of the minor clunkiness feeling issues it had like pressing M to open the map, but M doesn't close it type of things. I'm so ready for this to come out, first game I've played in a while where I'm content sinking time in to just dicking around not progressing.

bayr_sl

shitlord
There's still quite a bit of clunkiness to the game imo, like centering on your characters, I'm not sure how to do that yet. And things like moving the camera from the map, I don't know if that's possible. Clicking on it lets you make a note, fine, but I really want to click around to navigate. The camera gets awkward around buildings and stuff, and how it highlights objects and stuff I find a bit clumsy.

But all that said it's really spectacular. If it has a lot of content (I don't really want to find out by playing it) and it comes with the editor and whatnot like they said, I could see this being a truly amazing game by release. Like one of the must plays of its generation