Do any good video game movies exist?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I always think of this scene when I try to irritate my Christian-leaning buddies.

This was every Roman soldiers diary entry for the death of Jesus. And all religions agree that there were no good movies based on video games. If this were a thread about the worst, I'd put Wing Commander up there with Final Fantasy.
Wing Commander had Matthew Lillard at least. Final Fantasy movie is in play for worst movie of all time, not just worst video game movie.

Szlia

sometimes, you get a talented guy, that doesn't give a fuck about the comic/game and you get Verhoevan and REvil, Chris Nolan and Batman.
We have yet to have a company pull a Marvel with actually trying to make a movie that is good and true to the game at the same time.
What link is there between Paul Verhoeven and Resident Evil exactly?

Also, most games don't have hours worth of story. It certainly is not the problem faced by the people who had to make a scenario for Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive, House of the Dead or Super Mario Bros. More often than not, the problem is with the type of story and the quality of the story. Also, at the other end of the production process, the people funding these movies are in it solely for the money and the added insurance provided by a known intellectual property, so they want to make these movies as mainstream as humanly possible, turning the plots into formulaic movie narratives, even if all the themes and flair of the source material is lost in the process.

I mean, there were rights and options floating around for a Metroid movie some years back (bought by a production company owned by John Woo if memory serves me well). There is potential to make a marvelous movie out of Metroid. Something about exploration of a strange, beautiful and dangerous world, about the discovery of an ancient and mysterious culture... but you know your average script writer would find a way to add several characters, possibly turning the space pirates into humans, adding a roguish adventurer among them that would become a traitor to his crew and a love interest for Samus. Samus would probably have an old mentor in her spaceship that would craft her weapons and armor or something and the plot would be about treasure hunting for a chozo artifact...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean, there were rights and options floating around for a Metroid movie some years back (bought by a production company owned by John Woo if memory serves me well). There is potential to make a marvelous movie out of Metroid. Something about exploration of a strange, beautiful and dangerous world, about the discovery of an ancient and mysterious culture... but you know your average script writer would find a way to add several characters, possibly turning the space pirates into humans, adding a roguish adventurer among them that would become a traitor to his crew and a love interest for Samus. Samus would probably have an old mentor in her spaceship that would craft her weapons and armor or something and the plot would be about treasure hunting for a chozo artifact...
Or worse, they could be making a movie about Other M.

But yeah the main issue is taking stories of video games and trying to make them mainstream, or simply taking video games that don't need to be made into a movie because the story sucks to begin with(like DoA, Doom or Super Mario).