Doctor Strange (2016)

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I enjoyed the movie. Probably see it a second time next week.

We now have the time stone! One more to go!

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Going to see this tomorrow.... was Dormammu done well? Really concerned how they establish a villain of his power and stature. Do you guys think we will ever see Eternity as well? I always thought he would be cool on the big screen. We also need a solid version of Galactus too. I'm still not sure how people messed up Galactus? I understand you have to be careful with villains with powers of this magnitude but as long as you just tease them a bit, give them a few lines, and have them interact with the main characters, that's all the fans want. You don't have to try to reconcile a fight between a 6 ft tall human and something that floats around in the universe if that's bugging the writers/directors.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Never been much for Comic Book films, with the exception of Batman and the old Superman films. So, I was dragged kicking and screaming to see this with some friends. Had never even heard of this character before, but old Ben Cabbagepatch is usually a damn fine actor so OK.

Walked out damn satisfied. Fantastic movie, if a bit predictable. But like a good rollercoaster ride, it was damn fine while it lasted. Reminded me of a cross between Inception, The Matrix and Superman, if watched back to back while on an LSD trip. Good fun. :)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is this worth seeing in IMAX?

I'd say yes. Over an hour of the film was shot on IMAX and it makes good use of the screen real estate. If you're paying a premium of IMAX vs. IMAX 3D I'd probably say stick with regular IMAX (although the 3D was enjoyable, but added to an extra sense of zaniness b/c of all the bending and folding and falling stuff). Guess it depends on if it is $12 a ticket vs. $20 or something. We only had the one option.

Going to see this tomorrow.... was Dormammu done well? Really concerned how they establish a villain of his power and stature. Do you guys think we will ever see Eternity as well? I always thought he would be cool on the big screen. We also need a solid version of Galactus too. I'm still not sure how people messed up Galactus? I understand you have to be careful with villains with powers of this magnitude but as long as you just tease them a bit, give them a few lines, and have them interact with the main characters, that's all the fans want. You don't have to try to reconcile a fight between a 6 ft tall human and something that floats around in the universe if that's bugging the writers/directors.

That may be hard to say without spoiling? I think he was done well, or as well as you can introduce someone of that power level. And the resolution to the encounter was fulfilling, leaving plenty of room for him to be back, but not making it look like Strange is all of a sudden Sorcerer Supreme after 15 min of discovering the Eye. Although he does have a heavy cloak of plot armor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That's perfect... Don't want to know too much but just curious if he left a bad taste in anyone's mouth or if he messed up the standard/context of Thanos. There's a lot of power that's been referenced but no one has really ever confronted it. Be curious how this all comes to a head.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I would imagine a Dr Strange movie would be worth it in Imax since Dr Stranges whole comics run was a fuggin LSD trip.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
was Dormammu done well? Really concerned how they establish a villain of his power and stature.

The character looked really awesome. He appeared as a massive face only, but the face was crazy. It rippled like water that never stopped moving. He wasn't utilized very heavily, but you can see where a being of his power could come and fuck everything up in the future. Instead, Strange used the time stone to mess with him and make a deal. Similar to a deal with the devil. It was funny watching Dorm pull an Edge of Tomorrow on Strange over and over and over again.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Awesome.... thanks. I need to jump back into some comics and get an idea on where all these powers fall on the scale. It was kinda easy to reason with it in the comics as each comic/story was relatively self-contained but now all these people are getting thrown into this movie universe and that has to be getting complicated on the writers as they move through these stories. I'm assuming Dr. Strange will stand in for Adam Warlock but now we have Thor, Loki, and Odin... Dr. Strange and Dormammu, Thanos, and Hulk. It gets me excited for Infinity War because you know regardless of power, you have some guys that are just going to fight for the sake of humanity and it's one think to do this in the comics but to make this happen and successful on the screen is a whole other task. I believe that's why Dr. Strange and Ragnarok are going to be nice previews to what lies ahead.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Just a heads up, there are 2 after credits scenes. One ties into the next Marvel movie. The other ties into a future Doctor Strange title.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Is this worth seeing in IMAX?
Definitely. I actually completely forgot I was wearing 3D glasses the entire time. Nothing was blurry or moving too fast, the IMAX 3D on this was literally the best I've ever seen. No exaggeration. My IMAX doesn't offer non-3D versions if the movie is in 3D, and sometimes that is disappointing to me, but this was fucking fantastic. This is one of few times I'll say you're missing out if you don't see it in IMAX 3D.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, although I'll be honest and say that (for me) it didn't equal the Tier I movies people typically list. I'd put it solidly in Tier II though. And the people I saw it with that know nothing about comics but have all demanded that I buy them tickets for every Marvel movie when I advance buy absolutely loved it. They used words like "blown away", and every one of them was pretty skeptical going in. I've never been a Dr. Strange fan (but neither was I a fan of Cap or IM either), but I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Always check MediaStinger | Movie and Video Game After Credits Database- After the Credits | MediaStinger for them, has spoiler protection too. Quick checked my phone at the theater last night and saw both so I knew to stay to the very end.
I've mentioned this probably a dozen times over the years, but I use the smartphone app RunPee. It is for giving you good times to pee (if you're a woman), but I got free crystals in a game once for installing it and found that it also lists after credit stuff (spoiler free of course), so I've had it installed ever since. Works great, and even tells you how long the credits run so you can decide if you really want to stick around during a 12 fucking minute credit run.

P.S. You should stick around for this one of course, only 7 minutes too.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Awesome.... thanks. I need to jump back into some comics and get an idea on where all these powers fall on the scale. It was kinda easy to reason with it in the comics as each comic/story was relatively self-contained but now all these people are getting thrown into this movie universe and that has to be getting complicated on the writers as they move through these stories. I'm assuming Dr. Strange will stand in for Adam Warlock but now we have Thor, Loki, and Odin... Dr. Strange and Dormammu, Thanos, and Hulk. It gets me excited for Infinity War because you know regardless of power, you have some guys that are just going to fight for the sake of humanity and it's one think to do this in the comics but to make this happen and successful on the screen is a whole other task. I believe that's why Dr. Strange and Ragnarok are going to be nice previews to what lies ahead.
Given the events of this movie, I'd be surprised if Strange stands in for Adam Warlock. I'm not saying Warlock will be included at all, but to have
Strange possess two infinity gems
doesn't seem like a very good idea.

I really, really fucking want Warlock to show up too, so I'm biased as fuck, I admit it. I don't know who I'd want to play him, but given Marvel's track record I am confident they'd pick someone awesome, and when he and Beta Ray Bill stand side-by-side on screen, beating the shit out of Thanos, I will bust the cleanest nut ever, surpassing even Lyrical's Batman nuts.

EDIT: What a triple-posting faggot!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I've never been a Dr. Strange fan (but neither was I a fan of Cap or IM either), but I'd give it a solid 7/10.
I'm convinced this is the secret to Marvels success. Theyve only been able to work with mid tier heroes, because all their fan favorite heroes (xmen, spiderman) are locked up in other licensing shit (and I know nothing about any of the details but clealry there is some kind of licensing shit that prevents them from bringing in the top tier heroes)

No one was a fan of iron man or captain america in the comic books, they were both such blah characters. The Avengers was the place to stick mid tier heroes that no one cared enough about on their own. For some reason, those characters have made amazingly successful movies while all the tier 1 heroes in both DC and Marvel have flopped (Nolan Batman movies being the only exception).

Its a part of the winning formula. I dont understand it. But we're seeing this pattern play out over and over. Any character that anyone actually liked in comics makes a lame movie. Meanwhile, movies about fucking hawkeye and dr strange are huge successes.

Looking forward to this one on that basis -- theory predicts itll be a great movie.

Fadaar

That guy
The casting is such a huge part of it that often gets overlooked. Much like Patrick Stewart as Picard/older Professor X or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, you associate the actor as that character and can't imagine anyone else playing them. Same goes for RDJ as Stark or Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, at this point it's just impossible to imagine anyone else doing it.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Worth the imax for me. the Jordan's in reading has the new 4k imax. only a handful in the world atm- 8 according to the blurb at the beginning.

In he car patient: woman with implant and gets struck by lightning....... ms. marvel?

spronk

FPS noob
‘Doctor Strange’ is Marvel’s Latest Overblown Comic-Book Car Crash

Rex Reed said:
People who ask nothing more for their money than a lot of nerve-scrambling computerized special effects might get through Doctor Strange, another in a long line of lengthy, stupid and unbearable Marvel Studios comic books on film, with minimal brain damage. Everyone else will see through it for the two hours of gibberish it really is and walk on by.

damn that dude is salty af