Doctor Who

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
There was a white guy, but he was an alien white guy who was an ex-con imprisoned in the same place as River Song and also had a vortex manipulator etc. Basically he seems like an evil version of River Song / Jack Harkness, which makes sense given that Chibnall oversaw Harkness in Torchwood.

Jodie is pretty much perfect as the Doctor btw. If anything the completely unarmed and yet incredibly dangerous schtick works even better coming from a blonde woman.

Last edited:

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
This episode... almost as bad as I thought it would be. It was a good concept, and I like the bad guy in theory, but oh my lord it was so heavy handed. They ruined the bad guy when Ryan met him on the street. 'Your kind' coming from a dude from future prison with aliens is so over the top. And to say if Rosa Parks wasn't on the bus would mean NO ONE EVER WOULD EVER STAND UP TO RACISM is pretty lame too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I read that differently. At first blush the audience is meant to think that he is anti-black-guy because he's facing Ryan and dealing with Rosa Parks. I suspect that he was actually talking about humanity and that this was just part of his 'small nudges' effort to change the course of human history.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This episode... almost as bad as I thought it would be. It was a good concept, and I like the bad guy in theory, but oh my lord it was so heavy handed. They ruined the bad guy when Ryan met him on the street. 'Your kind' coming from a dude from future prison with aliens is so over the top. And to say if Rosa Parks wasn't on the bus would mean NO ONE EVER WOULD EVER STAND UP TO RACISM is pretty lame too.
Brits dont know american history. Rosa Parks is a metoo of this woman.
Claudette Colvin - Wikipedia
Claudette Colvin (born September 5, 1939)[1] is a pioneer of the Civil Rights Movement. On March 2, 1955, she was arrested for refusing to give up her seat on a bus in segregated Montgomery, Alabama, nine months prior to Rosa Parks' famous arrest for the same offense.

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I read that differently. At first blush the audience is meant to think that he is anti-black-guy because he's facing Ryan and dealing with Rosa Parks. I suspect that he was actually talking about humanity and that this was just part of his 'small nudges' effort to change the course of human history.
If that's the case then it makes the episode even worse. He tells Ryan he wants 'your kind to know your place.' If he's talking about humanity then why nudge Rosa Parks. Nudge some NASA tech to screw up a checklist prior to launch, or the manufacturer of a shuttle part that causes a catastrophic failure. Do what you can to keep humanity from reaching the star to keep them in their place. Not Rosa Parks. They wanted to tell a racism story.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
It wasn't too bad, like the desert episode it was just a boring premise. I get it, the little person can make a difference, but sitting down on a bus is not very epic. They should have done this with the MLK speech.

They do seem to have the fundamentals in place with the right tone, good actors etc they just need some more exciting stories.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
They do seem to have the fundamentals in place with the right tone, good actors etc they just need some more exciting stories.
Agreed. The Doctor was very much 'in-character' this episode. I like Graham and Ryan a lot, and Yaz needs some character building, but it's got a strong foundation.

Space Race was a fairly good story, but The Doctor wasn't in character yet. We'll see what Space Spiders gives us.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I kind of like episodes where they do historical stuff. Kind of wish they'd taken her to the future to show her that things do change, even if they're not perfect. Kind of like the Van Gogh episode.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
This season is kind of weird so far.. I don't hate it, I'm still looking forward to the episodes, but something feels slightly off. I like the individual elements, but it doesn't seem to be coming together as a whole. Yet, anyway. I like Jodie Whittaker so far, but she hasn't had any 'great' moments yet, just some good ones. I like Ryan and Grahm so far, and Yaz isn't 'bad' she just hasn't had anything compelling about her. Again, 'yet'. The pieces are there, they just need to have some more character building for her.

Also, the doctor doesn't feel as epic or powerful. Tennant and Smith's first episodes both established them as a badass. Within a few episodes, they had heartfelt connections with their companions on some level. These companions feel more like equals, as if it's the scooby gang solving mysteries, and one of them is just the leader who knows more stuff. She hasn't come across as being all that much cleverer than them, just a lot more knowledgeable. You get the feeling she's kind of just a super smart human that travels through time, rather than an actual time lord that's a total genius. ex: It took her like 5 seconds to count out the people on the bus; nodding her head as she did it, how a normal human would do it. Whereas the Doctor normally would have already done that without you noticing and gone right into the 'no.. I counted, we are short people, you have to stay'. Maybe Chibnall thought the 'over powered' Doctor was played out, but you could cover the same ground and it would feel fresh just from it being a woman now. He doesn't need to make her more relatable, down to earth, etc.. We don't need the companions to be the Doctor's equals for them to be worthy inclusions.

I'm starting to think Chibnall is coming at this from a weird angle. Like, he's not nearly as much of a Doctor Who fan, and is just writing a 'good sci-fi' show. As if someone gave him a summary of the world and characters, then he started from scratch with his stories, rather then taking into account all the existing canon. Maybe there will be a Dalek, cybermen, etc.. episode soon and I'll change my mind, but if not, I'll start to get more concerned. Which is a shame, because I really don't want Jodie's run to be tainted by a poor showrunner. She seems to have the chops to pull off an interesting Doctor, I'm just not sure she's being given the material to do so.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This season is kind of weird so far.. I don't hate it, I'm still looking forward to the episodes, but something feels slightly off. I like the individual elements, but it doesn't seem to be coming together as a whole. Yet, anyway. I like Jodie Whittaker so far, but she hasn't had any 'great' moments yet, just some good ones. I like Ryan and Grahm so far, and Yaz isn't 'bad' she just hasn't had anything compelling about her. Again, 'yet'. The pieces are there, they just need to have some more character building for her.

Also, the doctor doesn't feel as epic or powerful. Tennant and Smith's first episodes both established them as a badass. Within a few episodes, they had heartfelt connections with their companions on some level. These companions feel more like equals, as if it's the scooby gang solving mysteries, and one of them is just the leader who knows more stuff. She hasn't come across as being all that much cleverer than them, just a lot more knowledgeable. You get the feeling she's kind of just a super smart human that travels through time, rather than an actual time lord that's a total genius. ex: It took her like 5 seconds to count out the people on the bus; nodding her head as she did it, how a normal human would do it. Whereas the Doctor normally would have already done that without you noticing and gone right into the 'no.. I counted, we are short people, you have to stay'. Maybe Chibnall thought the 'over powered' Doctor was played out, but you could cover the same ground and it would feel fresh just from it being a woman now. He doesn't need to make her more relatable, down to earth, etc.. We don't need the companions to be the Doctor's equals for them to be worthy inclusions.

I'm starting to think Chibnall is coming at this from a weird angle. Like, he's not nearly as much of a Doctor Who fan, and is just writing a 'good sci-fi' show. As if someone gave him a summary of the world and characters, then he started from scratch with his stories, rather then taking into account all the existing canon. Maybe there will be a Dalek, cybermen, etc.. episode soon and I'll change my mind, but if not, I'll start to get more concerned. Which is a shame, because I really don't want Jodie's run to be tainted by a poor showrunner. She seems to have the chops to pull off an interesting Doctor, I'm just not sure she's being given the material to do so.
You are right but I think it's needed.

The whole world revolving around The Doctor and his genius and his fame got boring/weird.

It's like a Johnny Depp character, they are great when they are part of a larger story but when the entire movie is all about how wacky he is, it doesn't work.

I'll be happy if The Doctor has a genius moment and genocides some bad guy race in the finale but it's not needed every episode.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
See, I get what you are saying, I just think it wouldn't be boring/weird because it'd feel different with Jodie doing it. You have all kinds of different angles to cover that same kind of material with her, that would make it feel fresh again. Plus, they moved away from part of it (the fame) with Capaldi. He was still all-powerful, and I think the episodes he showed that off were some of the best. Him stealing Davros chair, escaping the confession dial, etc.. But, not every person he met instantly knew who the 'Doctor' was, like with Smith's run. Sure, some of the more knowledgeable people did, and I still liked that. It made things feel deeper, like an implied history off screen that we don't see, but not so much it was annoying. "we get the word Doctor from you" yea, sure..

If they had just gone with another dude as Doctor, then maybe they'd need to reboot the Doctor character to be less powerful or it'd get old, but they didn't, so I don't think they need to. It's like, they need SOME familiar ground to make it feel more like 'Doctor Who', and they don't have much so far. Literally, take away the sonic and TARDIS and there's hardly a clue it's actually Doctor Who. She's hardly mentioned being a Time Lord (I can't even remember it coming up yet) and nothing tied to the existing universe has been mentioned. Feels more like a Torchwood episode where someone borrowed the Doctor's sonic and TARDIS. If they are trying to reboot the whole series again, from scratch, I think that's a mistake. The show lost ratings because Moffat ran out of creative steam, not because the basic premise of the show didn't work anymore. It only needed a fresh coat of paint, not an entire overhaul.

Cybsled

Ya, with some Doctors, like Matt Smith, they did a pretty good job getting the audience to like them pretty fast

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
See, I get what you are saying, I just think it wouldn't be boring/weird because it'd feel different with Jodie doing it. You have all kinds of different angles to cover that same kind of material with her, that would make it feel fresh again.
Would would be enraged by the feminism if they did that.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Ya, with some Doctors, like Matt Smith, they did a pretty good job getting the audience to like them pretty fast

Still one of my favorite moments of New Who, and imo the best intro episode of the new era.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, that Smith scene was exactly what I needed in a post-Tennant era to make me like a new Doctor. I was still reserved on Matt Smith until that very moment, but then I knew.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Would would be enraged by the feminism if they did that.
They can play off her being a woman without it being feminist. They've already done this a bit. Or, scenes of random people assuming Grahm or Ryan are in charge can be funny without being heavy handed, too. I'm not talking about making every single thing a statement about women's right. I'm saying we have a new Doctor that is way different then any before. As a result, you can have her cover similar ground without it feeling so similar. A nice and playful doctor, until you cross her, is exactly what Tennant and Smith were, but that doesn't mean it would feel exactly the same. Smith didn't feel exactly like Tennant.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, that Smith scene was exactly what I needed in a post-Tennant era to make me like a new Doctor. I was still reserved on Matt Smith until that very moment, but then I knew.
it took me til our autists started pointing out the various easter eggs with Smith looking different in some scenes. then i fell for Amy Pond(adult version). then before i knew it, i got hooked on Smith too. throw in Riversong, Churchill, Weeping Angels, WW2 Daleks and it became the best season of the new Who. i think i need to rewatch it again.
the Siren was nice too.
doctor-who-the-black-spot.jpg

the chick in the christmas special wasnt bad either.
775d74b9b3c970972769931be1b64ff0a6237f34.jpg

• 1Like