Doctor Who

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Doctor Who will be back on our screens this August when Peter Capaldi will be making his first full appearance as the twelfth Time Lord.

The news was announced in a teaser trailer uploaded by the BBC to the official Doctor Who website yesterday.

The 16-second teaser trailer features a silhouette of the new Time Lord with his Tardis console ablaze in the background, a reference to the cliff hanger at the end of 'The Time of the Doctor', last year's Christmas special.

Audience first met Capaldi's incarnation back in December, when Matt Smith eleventh Doctor was given a new lease of life by the Time Lords and regenerated.

The episode ended with Capaldi's Doctor asking his companion Clara Oswald if she knew how to fly the Tardis as they are about to crash.

Although fans were given the briefest of glimpses of Capaldi's Doctor in the 50 anniversary special, with a fleeting shot of his eyes and the dogged determination in them to save Gallifrey from destruction.

Fans have been fed titbits over the last several months, Keeley Hawes, Ben Miller, Tom Riley and Frank Skinner will be guest starring in the new series.

Samuel Anderson has also joined the cast as Danny Pink, a recurring character, who teaches at Coal Hill School with Jenna Coleman's Clara.

Sherlock writer Steve Thompson has written an episode, which will star Hawes as Ms Delphox, a character with a dark secret. While comedian Miller will be playing a villain, his comedy partner Alexander Armstrong has previously starred in the long-running science fiction series.

Showrunner Steven Moffat has said that the Doctor will be heading to Lanzarote, the last time the Time Lord was there was back in 1984.
Doctor Who series 8: date set for return - News - TV Radio - The Independent

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I saw Captain Jack at comicpalooza last weekend. He said there were no plans to bring him back that he knew of. Where do I write to correct this injustice?

velk

Trakanon Raider
I saw Captain Jack at comicpalooza last weekend. He said there were no plans to bring him back that he knew of. Where do I write to correct this injustice?
It'd surely be at least half his fault with him being busy with Arrow in a different country.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They have so much new shit and with scheduling it's not even entirely sure River Song will be back. She was supposed to be in the finale but scheduling forced them to cast a new character in Tasha Lem.

He seems like a cool guy though. Saw some pictures from that event including one of him with two very young kids dressed as the Doctor and Jack.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
The new series of Doctor Who will see some of the biggest changes to the show since it returned in 2005, according to showrunner Steven Moffat.

"We haven't made much of a change to Doctor Who since it came back in 2005. It's been the same show, it's maybe amped some things up and lowered some things but it's basically the same."

"I just feel it needs to be a bit more different now and it needs to be surprising again. We've got the hang of this, we need to change it," he added.

Moffat also said that he chose The Thick of It star, Peter Capaldi, to play the 12th incarnation of the Doctor because he wanted to keep the show fresh.

"Can you imagine if we'd cast another handsome yet quirky young man with entertaining hair? It would have just exposed the formula," he explained, going on to say, "the show would have just become that little bit more ordinary".

Capaldi's casting was a departure from the previous actors who have played the Doctor in the new series.
Doctor Who series 8: Steven Moffat says this year will feature the biggest changes since 2005 - News - TV Radio - The Independent

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
less than 2 months til the premiere and thats all the footage we get? lol i dunno if thats a good or a bad thing.

It's not even from the show, it's footage shot specifically for the teaser. I fail to see how it's a bad thing considering the amount of changes supposedly coming to the formula. I get so tired of teasers and trailers showing every little detail of what is going to happen.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
thats why i said i dunno if thats good or bad. i can see both sides of the argument. nobody wants their show spoiled, but everyone is also curious what is going to be in the new season.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I can actually get behind not showing anything at all. It's not because I'm afraid of spoilers (I'm one of those people who prefers the context of what's being spoiled, something words don't tend to convey very well), but because it's nice to not know what you're getting yourself into.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't have enough care in my body to watch that review for myself, but is that an 7 min video reviewing that 16 second trailer we got a few weeks back?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
dude was just pointing out some new stuff in the trailer like the images in his eyeball and changes to the interior of the tardis. its not mindblowing, but its interesting.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't have enough care in my body to watch that review for myself, but is that an 7 min video reviewing that 16 second trailer we got a few weeks back?
Yes.

dude was just pointing out some new stuff in the trailer like the images in his eyeball and changes to the interior of the tardis. its not mindblowing, but its interesting.
There was nothing in his eyeball and the central column in the tardis has turned red, which it always does when shit hits the fan.

The rest was "Oh hey I am not doing..." and "I think they will... based on nothing."