Doctor Who

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Ah right. fair point. Suppose, the whole trees putting out fire thing, had me thinking backwards there.
It's one of those daft inconsistencies with the English language. Incombustible means not combustible but inflammable means it's flammable. No logic at all.

That said, it didn't detract from your write-up. I haven't seen the episode yet but you nicely summed up how I'll probably feel at the end of it.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
i said it about the moon episode and the same applies here. They're trying to push social commentary in the guise of scifi. The whole 'do nothing' thing is the point... We as humans are always trying to fix things that could fix itself if left alone.

That said, was this a great episode? No it was meh, but one theme of this season is Clara's disenchantment with the doctor. His look changed, his personality changed. She's been pushed to do and think for herself. And when she needs a hero she sees that Danny Pink, a normal human, can do amazing things. All that coupled with the preview for the finale appears that Missy will turn her against the doctor.

I still think a twist will be Clara is a time lord as is Missy. Clara will be killed and regenerate into a new recurring bad guy like the Master... But being the impossible girl and surviving the doctor's time stream she knows EVERYTHING about him. Now after typing all that, that seems impossible too because she dies in a lot of those streams.

Oh well tl:dr there has been a theme for this season.

Caliane

It's one of those daft inconsistencies with the English language. Incombustible means not combustible but inflammable means it's flammable. No logic at all.

That said, it didn't detract from your write-up. I haven't seen the episode yet but you nicely summed up how I'll probably feel at the end of it.
I think the interesting thing, would be if it was simply an asteroid, instead of a solar flare.

The "airbag" comparison would have made ALOT more sense.
Asteroid enters Earths atmosphere, that DOES ignite the bubble of oxygen, which explodes deflecting the asteroid off in some other direction. Silly nonsense in terms of real science? sure. but follows logic.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
I think the interesting thing, would be if it was simply an asteroid, instead of a solar flare.

The "airbag" comparison would have made ALOT more sense.
Asteroid enters Earths atmosphere, that DOES ignite the bubble of oxygen, which explodes deflecting the asteroid off in some other direction. Silly nonsense in terms of real science? sure. but follows logic.
How about the trees choose not to absorb the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and instead of producing oxygen they allow the CO2 to build up sufficiently to negate the flare? Maybe some trees die in the process. They do love that whole, "They sacrificed themselves for you when you didn't deserve their help!" angle (Star Whale).

Caliane

How about the trees choose not to absorb the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and instead of producing oxygen they allow the CO2 to build up sufficiently to negate the flare? Maybe some trees die in the process. They do love that whole, "They sacrificed themselves for you when you didn't deserve their help!" angle (Star Whale).
heck I would have accepted, magic fairies/trees produce a stronger magnetic field for the Earth, because "reasons".
Thats part of the joke I suppose. didn't question the 1 day old trees, as evidenced by their lack of rings. which is obviously nonsense itself.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
We are screwed!

rrr_img_80168.jpg

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It seemed they were trying to suggest Missy takes over Clara, or her form anyways, in that teaser trailer. You've got Clara saying things like 'There was never any Clara" or something like that, and acting kind of crazy like Missy.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i havent seen anything crazy from Missy, calculating? yes. mysterious and probably evil? yep. but so far she doesnt come across as insane. i think clara is either clara or a separate entity altogether, ya know cuz didnt she have a different mom and she was totally from space in that asylum of the daleks/souffle girl episode? i dont care enough to rewatch the episode, but no doubt better whovians like jait, qhue or even chris will be better able to clarify that.

my guess is missy is an old DW villain, she is in a cyberman vessel which is porting "dead" earth people and other aliens there for processing into cybermen. this is called "the promised land" "heaven" or whatever else these other aliens are duped into looking for. clara will reveal her story and danny pink will possibly die to save her.

Caliane

i havent seen anything crazy from Missy, calculating? yes. mysterious and probably evil? yep. but so far she doesnt come across as insane. i think clara is either clara or a separate entity altogether, ya know cuz didnt she have a different mom and she was totally from space in that asylum of the daleks/souffle girl episode? i dont care enough to rewatch the episode, but no doubt better whovians like jait, qhue or even chris will be better able to clarify that.

my guess is missy is an old DW villain, she is in a cyberman vessel which is porting "dead" earth people and other aliens there for processing into cybermen. this is called "the promised land" "heaven" or whatever else these other aliens are duped into looking for. clara will reveal her story and danny pink will possibly die to save her.
seems more likely. I had the thought missy-clara as well. but, yeah, doesn't feel right. the "clara doesn't exist" is Clara fucking with the logic circuts of the cyberman. the preview said something about rewriting history. So, history was rewritten, Clara is not supposed to exist anymore.. but does, thanks to tardis, or something. So a cyberman confronts her, and "target:clara oswald Identified" or something. with her going, nope not me. clara doesn't exist.

I'm still not sure if dalek clara is going to come back. If that plot was dropped with the end of time stuff, or is another bad wolf, which will keep coming back again and again.

Heaven being the cyberman mainframe/matrix seems very likely atm to me.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Still going with Missy = Rani. And there are so many Clara's out there, that many have ended up in Rani's hands. As a hedge, Missy = Dark Clara, in a Universe where her and 11 ended up together and destroyed Gallifrey.

Decent fan made trailer

Inque

FunEmployed
For all we know, Missy is Clara who splintered off and is hidden by a FOB watch; I'm wondering if Missy is collecting all the Doctor's Clara fragments? And she needs all the pieces of Clara to become 'whole' again to regenerate. I dunno, this entire season is a hogwash at this point.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Well, I finally watched the episode last night. Really not a fan of children-based episodes. I get that they're trying to engage as many demographics as possible but you know nothing really menacing is going to happen (in a pre-watershed show) when you have a bunch of kids pottering around on a safari. And, once again, we're faced with a planet-shattering event that I really didn't care about. I agree with the other poster who said he missed the small corners of the world episodes. An alien incursion on a space station or a monster threatening a remote lighthouse. They actually used to terrify me as a kid, especially the latter one.

This series, despite a new Doctor, has been really very beige. I sincerely hope the viewing figures reflect it and that BBC finally acknowledge Moffat is out of his depth and find another lead before he damages the show further.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think it's doing OK since scifi is very, very rare on British TV and I don't even think there is any being imported from USA via internet. My nerd friends just don't want it anymore but there'll be lots of retarded mainstream families seeing it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if next season is anything like this, i probably will stop watching for good. its not even serialized anymore so there is no hook to keep watching.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I caught some re-runs of matt smith episodes yesterday, and realized the things I liked about his run that are missing. The happy payoff type moment. The 'doctor saved the day' moments aren't as dramatic. The ending of Aslyum of the Daleks was a great example, with the Daleks yelling out 'Doctor.. who?' and how he's enjoying it.

We don't have anything even remotely like that right now, so we don't get the same sense of fun in the episodes. I think they went a little too far into the 'darkness' motiff and lost the fun aspects of the show. If we can't get the fun parts back because of how they want Capaldi to do the doctor, then at the very least, he should be more of a badass then. Telling people what they are going to do, or forcing them to do because he cares. Instead he's very apathetic towards everything.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Reminds me of this asshole:
doctor6a.jpg

He came after the guy everyone loved and the younger version after him. The next doctor will be a creepy weirdo and it'll be cancelled. History repeating!