Doctor Who

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i grew up with shows that had terrible production value for the time were made in. back then it wasnt the spectacle, it was the story. those effects, good or terrible are just proofs of concepts. focus on the actors and the story and you will enjoy those dated shows much more.

Caliane

The matrix is literally The Matrix, but created by timelords store store all their history, and predict the future. Every timelord copies their mind to it.. A repository for the collective timelord knowledge.
Entering it, they can interact with themselves, their future selves, etc, and gain totally knowledge of past present and future. Manipulating it, allows false history, and futures to be predicted. inside the matrix is also just like the movie.. seems real, but Neo, the doctor can impose his will and change reality.

The Matrix - Tardis Data Core, the Doctor Who Wiki - Wikia

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They also use it as sort of a Minority Report device for busting rogue Time Lords (Trial of a Time Lord story arc for 6th Doctor had a lot of this) before they do something. Its also how they keep history straight in their records when there is literally an entire segment of their race constantly fucking with history. I forget, but I think it might have been constructed by Rasilon in the early history of their race.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The Matrix is the Matrix. It's where they got some of the ideas for the Keanu simulation. The Time Lords also mentioned the Web of Time. So here it is in short. Long version read the wiki.

Entire Universe is dominated by the Old Gods and Great Vampires. The Old Gods created horrible races in their image (Donna Nobles first episode which showed Earth was how one race survived by creating its core billions of years ago). Eventually with the Eternals and other races (The People) the Gallifreyans defeated them. They had or invented time travel and mapped an existence which ALWAYS has the Time Lords as the dominate race. Once this was set in stone from beginning to end of the Universe they had what they called...

The Web of Time.

As long as it's not interfered with it should never change. Hence why the Doctor and Master are both considered arch-traitors by old school Time Lords. Time travel is strictly controlled by the CIA. Celestial Intervention Agency. To ensure continuity in the billions of years to follow with time lords they created the Matrix. All Time Lords past, present, and future are contained in the Matrix. The Master and the Valeyard have both somehow gained entry to it, and you can see why that might be problematic... The concept is awesome and inspired Gibson and many other authors over the years.

Pretty sure I didn't mention anything not already recapped or referenced in the new series.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I am really hoping that the Valeyard makes an appearance. Next to the Rani, he is one of my favorites in the old series, but any chance of getting her back probably ended when they made the Master a woman.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Sorry guys, I was reading the previous page when I responded. Looks like it was pretty much covered.

The valeyard is a tough one. A lot of us thought he was Tennant's Doctor that escaped with Rose into the other universe. Eventually she dies...and he comes back with a vengeance. But that has passed in theory. Eventually they do need to cover him, but I hope it's not a "Valeyard was really a good guy pretending to be bad". The thing a lot of fans really missed imo, is bad guys never ever sacrifice themselves for any greater good. The Great Intelligence did. He gave up his entire existence (He's an Old God btw) to prevent the Doctor's future. It can't just be spite. The Valeyard is the beginning of the end, so it may never be covered but GI specifically cites that mofo as the main reason why he's committing suicide.

edit: Dream Lord was also definitely the Valeyard. Moffat likes to blue ball people with that character as much as Davies did with Rani.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I can tolerate baker's doctor episodes, just cause he's charming, but I still don't 'enjoy' them so much.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I can tolerate baker's doctor episodes, just cause he's charming, but I still don't 'enjoy' them so much.
I can understand. I was working my way through the original series and got roadblocked by all the missing episodes so I took a break from them. Hoping more lost episodes get discovered

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I didn't see this whole page of responses when I wrote that. Thought Chuk's was most recent, haha.

Thanks for the explanation of the matrix. Considering they wrote that in the 70s or whatever, that's pretty far out.

The Great Intelligence was (confirmed) an Old God? Is that something they went over in the old series? Because I saw nothing suggesting that in the new one, and I would think the Doctor would remember what an Old God is. He said the GI seemed familiar, but you'd think he'd put it together eventually. In a Dr Who graphic novel I read, they used one of this race that were basically sentient suns as the villain, and the Dr mentions the eternals, old gods, etc..and he has done so in the new series multiple times, so it's not like he blocked all that out or something.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
GI has become Wibbly Wobbly. Matt Smith's initial adventures with GI (Snowmen?) take place BEFORE the prior Doctor's encounter with him in the London Underground (Abominable Snowman/Web of Fear). The Easter Egg was that Matt Smith's Doctor gave him the information he would use in the Doctor's past.

But yeah, GI was an Old God who was destroyed by either the Eternals or Gallifreyans, and he rebuilt his body as seen in the Snowman ep. In the original TV show the Doctor refers to him as a being that existed before time which only means the Great Old Ones, but he never calls him by name like he does with other Old Gods. In the novels he's stated to be Yog-Sothoth. Novels aren't canon, but just figured I'd add that.

Edit: We haven't seen any Great Vampires or Great Old Ones (Old Gods) in the new series. Hell we haven't even seen Eternals
frown.png
Closest we came was with Sarah Parish spider character. That's Narlahotep's race of baddies, and they are bad ass. They ran away from the First Time War and created the Earth to hide their ship as explained in The Runaway Bride. But they all (First tier races/gods/vampires) used to be a big, big part of the show. But Deus ex Machinas were Davies least favorite devices so he killed them all and the Time Lords, as he explains in his book. Pretty smart on his part imo.

The biggest baddies I'd like to see return are the Black Guardian and/or The Celestial Toymaker. The Black Guardian was even better than the Master in what little we got of him and his machinations. Despite the lack of screentime the Black Guardian is the impetus for the Key to Time stories, and that was perhaps Doctor Who's greatest era. Celestial Toymaker was just one serial, way way back but it's creepy as all getout and perfect for a remake. The Eternals are kind of boring however and I hope they stay gone.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Lol yes. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought that might be one of them too. Shitty ep tho.

Edit: one of my favorite line drops in Doctor Who was about the Would have been King and the Meanwhiles and Neverweres. I assumed this was the Time Lord version of the Dalek Emperors Nightmare Child. With those extraction chambers I realize I finally have my nerd explaination for wtf a Meanwhile might be. Clara is basically immortal until she died at her fixed point.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It was awful. Part of that "movie" season of higher production values. Asylum of the Daleks was really good. But even River Song and John Crichton couldn't save Rory and Amy's farewell season.

This was a really good season. One of my favorites, and finished really strong. Well, still Christmas...

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Are you guys talking about the Rings of Akhaten episode? Where the people of this planet make sacrifices to their sun, which is actually a living being? That was the 2nd episode of Smith's 4th season, Clara's first.http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/episod...f-akhaten.aspx

He calls it an Old God by name there.

Or, are you referring to Vampires of Venice? None of the other '2nd' episodes of any season match what you are referring to at all, except rings of akhaten.

sidenote: Are the Hyperions, which are living suns, one of the Old Gods, made by them, are they Eternals, etc..? Until I looked up the plot of that rings of akhaten episode, I had it in my mind he was dealing with a hyperion, who I found out about in the graphic novel. The one in the comic that the Dr fights mentions how Gallifrey teamed up with other races to defeat the hyperions, which clicked with this episode in my mind. He was even afraid of the Dr at first till he realized there wasn't a 'war TARDIS' and other stuff nearby for him to fight him with.

Caliane

Are you guys talking about the Rings of Akhaten episode? Where the people of this planet make sacrifices to their sun, which is actually a living being? That was the 2nd episode of Smith's 4th season, Clara's first.http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/episod...f-akhaten.aspx

He calls it an Old God by name there.

Or, are you referring to Vampires of Venice? None of the other '2nd' episodes of any season match what you are referring to at all, except rings of akhaten.

sidenote: Are the Hyperions, which are living suns, one of the Old Gods, made by them, are they Eternals, etc..? Until I looked up the plot of that rings of akhaten episode, I had it in my mind he was dealing with a hyperion, who I found out about in the graphic novel. The one in the comic that the Dr fights mentions how Gallifrey teamed up with other races to defeat the hyperions, which clicked with this episode in my mind. He was even afraid of the Dr at first till he realized there wasn't a 'war TARDIS' and other stuff nearby for him to fight him with.
Doctor Who Titan Comics 12th Doctor issue #2 Merchandise Guide - The Doctor Who Site
This series/issue?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
err.. I think so? The cover looks familiar. It starts off on a world built by one of the richest men in the universe, and he's gonna marry the princess of some warrior tribe.