Doctor Who

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I dont know if im alone on this, but it feels like alot of dr who episodes, especially the last few seasons, are almost more interesting when i see them later. A lot of capaldi's episodes felt 'meh' when i first watched, but i find myself watching all the way through when i catch a rerun.

I do agree that we havent had many 'shut up, im not crying, YOU are crying..' moments with Capaldi as we did with the previous doctors, but i think that was because Clara just never felt very emotional. The cybermen episode with Danny protecting her at the end was about the only time we saw Clara being vulnerable or emotional. Capaldi is similar and despite his words saying it, you never felt a big connection between them.

I was also upset how they teased the Doctors name and then didnt reveal it at all. i have a feeling its going to be a big thing when they do that. Reading the wiki and some fan theories, i like the idea that he is either 'the other' (most likely) or omega from time lord history, but its something that happens to him later in his life.. then, thru timey wimeyness, he goes back and helps create the timelord sciences and society.
Of course, if that is the case it has huge implications and changes tons of things. So, its something theyd want to not mess up or do at the end of the show's run as the big finish. i.e. if the show was going to be cancelled.
I mean, after all this time if his name isnt significant in some way, itll be a huge disappointment. "Oh.. my name? yea, its will. i just never liked it and then it became this whole thing sooo i just rolled with it"
Though that would be kind of funny and very much a 'doctor'-esque to do.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the show is just missing buzz. matt smith, his whole first season was so well thought out, it kept us guessing the whole time. plus it had amy pond. capaldi showed promise with Missy, but it feels like blew their load with her already and she should have been a show regular. i dont see how this transpanion is going to make me want to tune in.

we went from this
large.jpg

to whatever the fuck this is.

106752.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
To be fair Catherine Tate is no beauty, but she is pretty damn funny and made for a nice counterpoint to the previous two companions. The pinnacle of New Who, however, has to be the Amy / Rory / River trifecta in the Matt Smith era.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I did like that dynamic, especially who River ended up being and how she related to them all. But, from a 'feels' perspective, Rose is pretty close.

It feels like they are trying to go the 'donna' route with this new companion, more about comedy and just being a friend of the doctor's.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
To be fair Catherine Tate is no beauty, but she is pretty damn funny and made for a nice counterpoint to the previous two companions. The pinnacle of New Who, however, has to be the Amy / Rory / River trifecta in the Matt Smith era.
thats true, as you said she brings the funny, but at least she also looks like a woman and has a big set of titties. this new one, its far too distracting if the episode is me trying to figure out what the hell is that thing?

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
thats true, as you said she brings the funny, but at least she also looks like a woman and has a big set of titties. this new one, its far too distracting if the episode is me trying to figure out what the hell is that thing?

She's the Doctor's noble steed, duh. It's like Shrek iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnn sspaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Nobody was complaining about story arcs when they were well executed like Bad Wolf, Saxon, stars going out and four knocks.

They complained when they had a nonsensical resolution like cracks in the universe. Doctor's death had a retarded resolution and Doctor's name wasn't resolved really.

Pretty much nailed it. I'd rather see them go back to the monster of the week or at most 2 episode arcs to get their feet back under them. I believe they over-extended trying to recreate Bad Wolf level arcs.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a bit disapointing. There's been one really breakout Capaldi episode. That one where he was in the time trap, the clockwork castle. That's the only one I can remember where it felt like they'd captured the magic of Tennant/Smith but in a Capaldi way. The rest of them are "I'm Rock Star Dr. Who!"

Smith and Tennant also had those rockstar episodes, but they were the exception. For Capalidi they seem to have been the norm. And that's not Capaldi's fault, the writing just isn't there.

It's too bad, because Capaldi could have pulled off the "kind of a dick, but it's because he cares too much" Dr. House thing and he could have done it easily.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It's a bit disapointing. There's been one really breakout Capaldi episode. That one where he was in the time trap, the clockwork castle. That's the only one I can remember where it felt like they'd captured the magic of Tennant/Smith but in a Capaldi way. The rest of them are "I'm Rock Star Dr. Who!"
Yep, though I'd say even the 2nd part of that, where he goes to Gallifrey and 'rescues' Clara was also very good. The castle was the best, when you realized how long he kept at it to save her, that was pretty heart wrenching. Any time they deal with time having an effect on people, they often nail it. I'm thinking about Amy growing up, or when she was stuck in that disease facility in an alternate timeline, etc.. That's when Dr.Who is at it's best, melding the human reactions with extraordinary sci-fi elements.

The other best Capaldi episodes are all the ones with Missy, since she's so amazing. Combining Davros, the Dalek homeworld AND Missy into one story was probably my favorite of his run so far. The confession dial trap (the time castle) is a close 2nd.

I'm really hoping the new show runner uses the fact Gallifrey is back for a really epic storyline. Have Capaldi go to war against someone or something too, he's best when he's a little pissed off. Maybe the Daleks and Timelords make moves to go to war again, but he fights them both to prevent it. idk, but something along those lines as the meta story behind the monster of the weeks would be amazing.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Well it's double shitty that it's Capaldi's last season. He's by far my favorite of the new era Doctors. And that means they'll go the female doctor route uhg. Fuck off sjws don't ruin everything under sun
I'll just leave this here... Sucks always being right
Seriously though this bums me out. Hope this series lives up to the hype.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Curious that they asked him back for another series and he turned it down. Was he just reluctant to go forward with a new producer, or was the on-set relationship with the new chick as bad as some Daily Mirror reports have claimed?

I think the Beeb will hold off on the female doctor for right now. A new producer isn't going to want to shake up the franchise THAT much right out of the gate, and people are probably starting to get numb to the 'strong young female hero' bit since that seems to be everywhere these days.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
In interviews, Capaldi has stated 3 series was going to be his limit. He's such a Who fan, and the role is so iconic that he doesn't want it to be about him.

Banging the drum for Ben Daniels. No idea if he'd want it, but he was great in Fox's The Exorcist and got some global screen time in Rouge One.
Ben-Daniels-in-Paradise.jpg

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In before the inevitable "they should pick (mediocre famous black actor) to be the new Doctor post.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Olivia Coleman! She was fucking miserable 40 year old in a show with David Tennant, pick her!

Someone suggested the Arab pilot guy from Rogue One. Could see that working he was funny/serious enough but it's unfortunate timing with the SJWocalypse.

Richard Ayoade could nail it if he could act more serious at times. I think he is a one trick pony though.

Ramsay Bolton is Welsh, that's a minority. Iwan Rheon.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Richard Ayoade

Still clamoring for him as Dr Who. I think he's shown enough seriousness to make me confident he can pull off the tiny amount that would be required in this role.

• 1Like