Doctor Who

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fuck them for daring to use the fez as some sort of left-field reference for nostalgia points. They didn't even do it right.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Inque

FunEmployed
I saw that, lol. It was a passing reference during a Smith episode where Rory and Amy were like "you can order one" but it was a cheap payoff all these years later :(

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Neil Gaiman says Doctor Who messed with writer's script
"We definitely liked each other and we liked each other's work. Because I was writing Doctor Who, I had the privilege of reading Toby's script, which I felt on the whole was rather better than the episode, I got to read the raw script before people who weren't Toby started messing with them."
"I did two episodes of Doctor Who over the last decade, one I loved and it won awards, one I do not love and it is widely regarded as having some good bits in it but being rather a curate's egg," he said to The Telegraph last month.
"As far as I'm concerned both of the scripts were of equal quality but the biggest differences were having a say in what actually got to the screen, a say in what got changed, a say in what got rewritten, a say in the colour scheme, a say in all those things."

[Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett]
"I'm glad my second Doctor Who episode left me with a bad taste in my mouth because that is why, when Terry said, 'You have to make this thing', I was like, 'If I'm going to to do it then I am going to be showrunner because I can't just write the scripts, hand them over to somebody and hope that I get something fantastic back, I may or I may not.
"If this is going to be f**ked up it's going to be f**cked up by me personally with love and dedication."

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Anyone see the episode this Sunday? Was it any good? I didn't bother watching it.

Neil Gaiman says Doctor Who messed with writer's script
"We definitely liked each other and we liked each other's work. Because I was writing Doctor Who, I had the privilege of reading Toby's script, which I felt on the whole was rather better than the episode, I got to read the raw script before people who weren't Toby started messing with them."
"I did two episodes of Doctor Who over the last decade, one I loved and it won awards, one I do not love and it is widely regarded as having some good bits in it but being rather a curate's egg," he said to The Telegraph last month.
"As far as I'm concerned both of the scripts were of equal quality but the biggest differences were having a say in what actually got to the screen, a say in what got changed, a say in what got rewritten, a say in the colour scheme, a say in all those things."

[Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett]
"I'm glad my second Doctor Who episode left me with a bad taste in my mouth because that is why, when Terry said, 'You have to make this thing', I was like, 'If I'm going to to do it then I am going to be showrunner because I can't just write the scripts, hand them over to somebody and hope that I get something fantastic back, I may or I may not.
"If this is going to be f**ked up it's going to be f**cked up by me personally with love and dedication."
Terry Pratchett came out in the media against the show, I think during the Matt Smith era, he said that the stories were nonsense.

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Anyone see the episode this Sunday? Was it any good? I didn't bother watching it.
Normally we make a point to sit down Sunday after the kids are in bed to watch Doctor Who. I got called into work so we didn't have time and I'm not that upset about it. There's just nothing exciting me to tune in right now.

• 1Like

Goatface

i doubt she would leave, making somewhere from 200k to 250k per show
while getting best ratings is a few seasons
think it is BBC's top show now, after blowing up Top Gear
saw ads for her Barbie doll the other day too
she will probably get a 25-50k pay bump

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the ratings arent even over 6 million viewers anymore, i dunno if thats good or bad numbers for this show,. its equal to capaldi.

Inque

FunEmployed

The episode was barely passable. It was a quip on Amazon and consumption but fell flat, because once again, plot and build up were B O R I N G. The reference to the Fez early in the episode just didn't hit home. Hell, I think back to when Matt Smith did the call at the start of his new season as a "he's going to need your help, that's me, you have to let go" but as much as a cheap trick it was to get people sappy into transitioning into Capaldi, it made it's mark. This was "oh a fez, I think I remember ordering that" - da fuq? I thought there'd be a more grand build up to the plot but that was it, nothing else. I don't even remember who or why they sent the HELP ME note either. It's THAT much of a slog :(

• 1Like

Goatface

the ratings arent even over 6 million viewers anymore, i dunno if thats good or bad numbers for this show,. its equal to capaldi.

She is doing better than his 2nd and 3rd seasons

Overnight = 3.77m
Consolidated = 5.45m
Live +28 = 5.88

2018 (through 6)
Overnight = 6.67m
Consolidated = 8.33m

2018 (just 4-6)
Overnight = 6.10m
Consolidated = 7.56m

Consolidated is all view within 7 days
live+28 is all views, iplayer, etc

BBC America
0.21 demo and 653,000
2018 (through 7)
0.30 demo and 905,000

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Their top show is probably Strictly Come Dancing - the US version is called Dancing with the Stars. It does over 10 million each week here, maybe up to double Doctor Who on a good week.

BBC owns the format too, I don't know if they produce the US version or just license it though but they'll be getting international money from it either way.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lol reports are saying that BBC is asking Chibnall for 10 episodes a year, and he's saying that's not doable.

What a fucking wanker.

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lol reports are saying that BBC is asking Chibnall for 10 episodes a year, and he's saying that's not doable.

What a fucking wanker.
and whitaker allegedly said thats too much work for a young "mum". at least she debunked the pay wage gap myth before she fucked on off into the sunset.
i think there will only be 5 or 6 episodes in 2019 at least it wont draw this death out for much longer.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester

Terry Pratchett came out in the media against the show, I think during the Matt Smith era, he said that the stories were nonsense.
Sure, but they were fun nonsense.

I mean, Terry Pratchet has room to talk? He also has a habit of writing entertaining nonsense.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this one is a real doozy
Jodie Whittaker Is Not Here For Criticism Of 'Doctor Who's Diversity & We Stan
Another Doctor Who star who joined in the debate is actress, Julie Hesmondhalgh, who recently appeared as a guest star in the seventh episode of the 11th series, titled Kerblam. In an interview with the Metro, she said: "It’s such a load of b******s. As soon as we get a little bit of diversity, which to me is exciting. I watched the first episode, to see proper representation is absolutely brilliant to me. I was so buzzing off it, because that’s the world we live in, and to see it reflected on screen is like, finally, this is great'." She then went on to say, "There’s always gonna be naysayers, I’ve seen a couple of things that are absolutely preposterous. I mean, slagging off the series for doing an episode with Rosa Parks, which I thought was the most powerful bit of young people’s telly that I’ve seen ever."
The former Coronation Street star further praised the show's inclusive outlook, and shared her thoughts on the term political correctness itself. She said: "It’s just everything I want in television. I mean, that term 'political correctness', for me is like, it’s just things are moving forward a little bit."

• 1Barf

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
She is doing better than his 2nd and 3rd seasons

Overnight = 3.77m
Consolidated = 5.45m
Live +28 = 5.88

2018 (through 6)
Overnight = 6.67m
Consolidated = 8.33m

2018 (just 4-6)
Overnight = 6.10m
Consolidated = 7.56m

Consolidated is all view within 7 days
live+28 is all views, iplayer, etc

BBC America
0.21 demo and 653,000
2018 (through 7)
0.30 demo and 905,000

Wait.. and in the other article linked, DOCTOR WHO: BBC Confirm Series 12 to Broadcast in 2019 - STARBURST Magazine they mention the 'ratings success'. Is the show really doing better than it's ever done? What kind of numbers did Tennant/Smith used to get?

Man.. If the show is really doing that well, I guess I overestimated the average viewer. All these 'accessibility' changes that we think made it boring, seem to be all that the average viewer cares about.

Oh, also Gaiman's two scripts were the Doctor's Wife (the one where the TARDIS 'soul' went into a woman's body) and the amusement park one with cybermen, where Smith's Doctor is being taken over by the cybermen nanodes or whatever, so he plays chess with himself for control. Obviously, the Doctor's wife won awards, so it's clearly the 2nd one Gaiman was upset about. Which, is interesting, cause I still liked that episode a fair amount. It's probably near the top 10 of my favorite Smith episodes. Granted, the other one is still better, but I liked it a lot. Seeing cybermen be fast, seeing what the Doctor would be like if taken over by cyber tech, the ending with the Emperor, etc.. I thought it was still quite great. I think maybe he's just a whiny writer with control freak tendencies.

• 1Like

Goatface

Wait.. and in the other article linked, DOCTOR WHO: BBC Confirm Series 12 to Broadcast in 2019 - STARBURST Magazine they mention the 'ratings success'. Is the show really doing better than it's ever done? What kind of numbers did Tennant/Smith used to get?

no

doctors seasons avg somewhere between 7-8mil except for Capaldi last 2 season was a tad below 6m avg

her debut as doctor was 2nd most watched behind Eccleston when counting all views
but 4th when just counting live/overnight views, with Capaldi being last

around 2014 or so, they started counting a lot more time shifted views

anyway, unless it drops off a cliff in near couple of weeks, she should finish in the low to mid range for doctors 9-11

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
If you take out the "Female Doctor BAD!" and the "Female Doctor GREAT!" people, you're left with the majority that fall in the "She's fine, but man this season is boring" crowd. The further we get in, I'm almost 100% positive the problem is Chibnal.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"It’s such a load of b******s. As soon as we get a little bit of diversity, which to me is exciting. I watched the first episode, to see proper representation is absolutely brilliant to me. I was so buzzing off it, because that’s the world we live in, and to see it reflected on screen is like, finally, this is great'."

Oh I remember seeing that same article, and had the same reaction of wanting to throw up. My question for this dumb bitch is, were you seriously just saying that because of an Indian companion or is she just a complete moron? Hi, initial reboot with Eccleston, we had an interracial couple, and what could be argued the first black companion of the reboot, Mickey. Then we got Captain Jack, who was an omnisexual, basically - still counts. Then not even 2 years later we get a second minority companion, Martha Jones. Here come's Capaldi, and we get a 3rd minority companion, and she's a carpet muncher to boot. Sure maybe there wasn't every shade of the rainbow in the show since the reboot, but i'd like to think they've been pretty god damn fair with it all.

Are these diversity faggots really this nearsighted when it comes to shit like this? Is that why so much of this diversity shit is being shoved in our faces at once this season? Because they honestly felt the series was so completely void of any semblance of color, that they have to go overboard cram as much of it they can down our throats at once?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users