Doctor Who

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 11 Votes
Title: Doctor Who

Genre: Action & Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2005-03-26

Creator: Sydney Newman, C. E. Webber, Donald Wilson

Cast: Jodie Whittaker, Bradley Walsh, Mandip Gill, Tosin Cole

Overview: The Doctor looks and seems human. He's handsome, witty, and could be mistaken for just another man in the street. But he is a Time Lord: a 900 year old alien with 2 hearts, part of a gifted civilization who mastered time travel. The Doctor saves planets for a living – more of a hobby actually, and he's very, very good at it. He's saved us from alien menaces and evil from before time began – but just who is he?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
I'll say it. Matt Smith is awful. Excuse me- bloody awful. And his previous companion Karen Gillan, while super hot, was an annoying and shallow character. Rory surprisingly ended up with more depth than any of them. Have not seen the current season.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
I tried to watch Dr. Who and I just couldn't get into it. Makes me sad because I should really like it in theory.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
When I started to get into it I started from 2005 and after the first season I was like WTF is shit shit? If you can get past the first season or just skip it entirely, then it will be worth the watch.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
Matt Smith is Brilliant. Whatever else you can say the whole 3 season arc featuring Rory, Amy and River was also well done.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
I like Matt Smith. Not as much as Tennant of course, but I like him. I'm also very much ready for him to die. It's time for a new doctor. I'm kinda hoping they pull what they did between season 1 and 2... Smith gets new companion, dies, becomes new doctor, who develops a romance with companion (who is already better than horse-mouth).

Fair enough. I think what I didn't like about Matt Smith the most was his age and mannerisms. To me, he could never pull off the "I have a 1000 yo soul who has seen all of space and time" look in his eyes and face and expressions. Also I felt let down a lot by the writing.

There were awesome moments like the Pandorica which was like the coolest thing ever for about 10 minutes, but he just kinda deus ex machina'd his way out of it. The Crack in the Wall also felt anti-climatic, esp after awesome episodes like The Library set the stage as early as the previous doctor. I hope that the series does get back on track though. Glad some of you still enjoy it
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think what I didn't like about Matt Smith the most was his age and mannerisms. To me, he could never pull off the "I have a 1000 yo soul who has seen all of space and time" look in his eyes and face and expressions.
That was my fear with Matt Smith when they first announced him as the new Doctor, and for the better part of his first episode, but honestly, after that little speech he gives to the Atraxi at the end of The Eleventh Hour, he had me hooked.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I'm with Asmadai. When Tennant was cast, I threw my hands up in the air and swore I'd never watch again. So after he became my favorite, I decided to get Smith a chance despite being baffled by his casting. Now Smith may be my favorite but he doesn't get the writing that Tennant or even Baker got, and the writing goes a LONG WAY.

Which is ironic considering it's one of the best TV writers in the world. I guess he was just better off doing 1-2 eps a year for Davies.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I'm very worried by how pleased with themselves the new companion and Moffat sound about her "backstory" after we've already seen her die onscreen during the previous series. The last couple of seasons have seen a marked downturn in the quality of the writing with it being turned into more of a scifi farce than any kind of drama. You have to go as far back as something like the Van Gogh episode to find a really good one.

As for Smith, I'm completely with Jait on this one, he is a decent Doctor being let down by shitty writing. I never expected to like Tennant and took a couple of years to even try after thinking Ecclestone was awesome but he did well in his own way and it was quite sad by the time it ended.

As for time to change the Doctor, I like the way they change the dynamic by either swapping the Doctor or the companions so I can live with Smith for a while yet so long as Oswin is interesting.

Starting the campaign now, next Doctor to be Idris Elba or Ruth Wilson. Preferably with the loser as the companion
tongue.png
I have a funny feeling though that they will cite cutbacks etc and once Smith has had enough they will put Dr Who back into storage again for a while.

tongue.png

tongue.png

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Matt Smith's doctor is just a badass.. He might not get the 'old soul' vibe, but he definitely gets the 'You should be afraid of me' vibe and speeches. The Atraxi speech/introduction of him is still one of my favorite doctor who moments so far. I still get a little grin every time I watch that scene. Shit..http://youtu.be/tCnXBD8TKJgall of these scenes, basically. *SPOILERS* if you haven't watched the last few seasons, there's a few spoilers there.

Then, he goes from moments like that to little kid type glee, which are hilarious. He's like a space gandalf/dumbledore, which is why I love the Doctor, and Matt Smith does the two sides of him like that well.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They set us up with that ep. The ending basically took a fresh faced kid we all were wary of and somehow trumped Tennant's first ep "No second chance..." speech by making it a thousand times better. It also had the feeling of being done with a great deal of respect to all the previous Doctors (including 8). For me, that set a good tone from the start.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database