Doctor Who

Cybsled

It doesn't matter how many regens there are...if they run out of official regens, they will come up with some way to give him more.

The end of Doctor regenerations is when the ratings tank and the show gets canceled ;P

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, and though it's technically not canon I don't believe, another side thing mentioned about the number of regenerations was mentioned in this one episode of The Sarah Jane Spinoff (the one where they all were led to believe the 11th Doctor was dead) Later in the episode, he shows up and has a little side dialogue with one of the children characters, and I remember him saying something along the lines that he can regenerate as many times as he wants to.

Edlt: Found it, the 11th claimed he could regenerate 507 times specifically. He could have been rambling, sure, but it still needs mentioning.

The notion of there being 13 regenerations was only mentioned once in this new series, but the idea of 13 regenerations goes back way before that, correct? That was upheld during the Baker era too, iirc.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The notion of there being 13 regenerations was only mentioned once in this new series, but the idea of 13 regenerations goes back way before that, correct? That was upheld during the Baker era too, iirc.

Mentioned it in my last post. It only comes from one episode in Who: The Deadly Assassin. Which was a Baker ep. Never been mentioned since except the 507 times which Moffat added to show how ridiculous he thinks this whole argument is. To put it another way.... there are more episodes which CONTRADICT the 13 regens than the one that upheld it. And if you take it a certain way in the episode with Morbius it illustrates that the Doctor had more lives before the first Doctor, or rather the 1st as we knew him wasn't the 1st Doctor but the 5th or 6th. Can't remember the name of the ep, but it's when some dead Time Lord wants the 4th Doctor's body and delves into his past incarnations and it goes 5-6 pictures past the 1st.

The Master claiming he was out of regenerations backs it up too. But seriously, it's just up to the writer how they want to handle it as we move into the 12th and 13th Doctors. FFS You could consider Tennant's run as two regenerations too...so this guy might be 12.

Flank_sl

shitlord
Couldn't make sense of it at all. How can someone die twice in two different times, and still be alive in another time?

Malkav

French Madman
Couldn't make sense of it at all. How can someone die twice in two different times, and still be alive in another time?
Well, there we have the whole plot of the season. I'm for one is rather curious about it.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mentioned it in my last post. It only comes from one episode in Who: The Deadly Assassin. Which was a Baker ep. Never been mentioned since except the 507 times which Moffat added to show how ridiculous he thinks this whole argument is. To put it another way.... there are more episodes which CONTRADICT the 13 regens than the one that upheld it. And if you take it a certain way in the episode with Morbius it illustrates that the Doctor had more lives before the first Doctor, or rather the 1st as we knew him wasn't the 1st Doctor but the 5th or 6th. Can't remember the name of the ep, but it's when some dead Time Lord wants the 4th Doctor's body and delves into his past incarnations and it goes 5-6 pictures past the 1st.

The Master claiming he was out of regenerations backs it up too. But seriously, it's just up to the writer how they want to handle it as we move into the 12th and 13th Doctors. FFS You could consider Tennant's run as two regenerations too...so this guy might be 12.
Ok i'll have to watch more old Who, I'm more current on the newer stuff, and the TARDIS Wiki, or whatever it's called, had an article on regeneration that led me to think the idea of 13 was more commonplace than just The Deadly Assassin. Maybe most of their references was to books and radio stories and the like. They mentioned at least 2 seperate Time Lord characters who forcefully killed themselves by initiating their own 13th regeneration early, thus ending their life cycle or something like that.

Cybsled

Hmm, good episode.

It seems like they are hinting Clara/Oswin is the "Great Intelligence". Will be interesting to see the season unfold and them uncover what she is. Also looks like Vastra, Jenny, and Strax will be making return appearances. I like those characters so no complaints here ;P

Cybsled

So guesses?

Oswin is the Doctor's Daughter. Or Mother. Hence the dying and redying.
Could be literally anything. I think one key is her final line is the same...she basically tells him to run, and remember. One of the important facets of the Doctor's character is he was the Time Lord who ran and never stopped running. The fact that she appears to exist as roughly the same person at multiple points in time seems to suggest she either isn't human or if she is, there is something else powerful at play.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Welcome back, Moffat.

Loved the intro, caught at least 3-4 homages. Loved the ep. Hated that we have to wait as it's obviously the big plotline for next year or two along with the Trenzalore/Fall of the Eleventh.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
oswin
oswald
oz the great and powerful? some l frank baum references?
eyes front soldier?
Oswin falling slowly down like riversong and the chick from the titanic episode?
isnt the doctor married?
that was a really odd episode. is the upcoming season the 50th anniversary season where they throw in all classic who shit? oh well. even though it had kids in this one at least they had a little bit of a body count. it started to get a dumb with the social commentary.
the only non story nitpick i had was the lizard chick didnt put on the green eye makeup before they applied her mask. even batman and green arrow do that shit.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
I second the thought that Clara/Oswin (I wonder if she goes by different names in different times, and if those might reflect different personalities, or markers the Doctor must later follow) being his daughter from the earlier episode, only because of the emphasis on the running part. We didn't see any sign of regeneration, but then, Jenny didn't sparkle and regen--notably in the same form-- until some time later.

When they released the shot of the new TARDIS interior, I hated it. But seen in action, I like it. I note that he says he's been living in the clouds for a while now (metaphor for past beliefs and behaviours?) but that he hasn't repaired the TARDIS exterior from the damage in the Ponds' farewell. River was going to stay with him for a while, but has obviously left him to sulk on his own, and he has gone to hide with people he can bully into not forcing him back into the world.

I *LOVE* the new opening credits--very modern and paying homage to what has come before to honour the 50th. I think it's going to be a great year, and a very painful wait until April!! Can't wait for Gaiman's re-imagined Cybermen either!

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They wont be related. It's a family show :p No making out with your dad then checking out his ass.

Or rather, I'd be incredibly surprised.

I think she's something new. Or River
tongue.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i liked the new intro, though i really liked the theme from the Pond years. that lightning striking the tardis while synching up with the crescendo of the music pumps me up. i didnt like the inside of the tardis that much. didnt hate it. just was a little disappointed they are turning the tardis control panel into more of a space ship and not a silly array of household items.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I liked everything about the new TARDIS interior, except that it's a bit more modern/fancy for the way the Doctor (especially the current one) has operated. He'll no longer get to call things like 'the wibbly lever!'.

I can't imagine Oswald is his daughter, but something interesting along those lines possibly. A partial timelord of some kind, perhaps.. who has a way to regenerate in the same form OR be reborn/transfer to a new body.. since one would think her actual body got buried in that grave, so it'd be hard to get out even if she regenerated. No, I think it'll be something along the lines of the same person somehow existing in multiple timelines, like a fractured being.

Also, does the Doctor getting fixated on the 'Great Intelligence' ring a bell to anyone else? I don't remember something like that being mentioned to the audience before, but maybe I've missed it.