Don't Starve (similar to survival minecraft)

Delly

Trakanon Raider
With all the updates I'm sold. Gonna try to get my friends to buy this as well.

Also, this kind of reminds me of this WC3 mod my friends and I used to play. I can't remember the details or name exactly, Troll Survival or something? I remember it was a vicious game and after you established camp you had to run to a helicopter before this monster destroyed you. Good times.

Edit: Island Troll Tribes is the name of the WC3 mod I believe.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Never touched this but sounds good so will pick it up today. Can you figure everything (including recipes etc) out for yourself as you play or do you need to be reading a wiki or something ? Does reading wiki/info spoil the game ?
Recipes are in the UI. You mouse over what you want to make and it shows what you need. If you have it, you can click and build it. Recipes have to be researched which means you have to build the science machines and spend resources to get new recipes. Again you can just navigate the quick mouse-over menu to get all that.

clovell_sl

shitlord
This really is an amazing game, and if you haven't tried it then go out and get it now. I love the art style, the humour, and the gameplay is just fantastic.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I played it for 10-15 hours or so. I'm not a huge fan of these types of games, but I don't regret the $15 (mostly because I can't think of what I'd do to make it more enjoyable for a player like me). After I gathered all the "Things" and went on to World 2 (around day 60) I felt like I had beaten the game and just lost interest. I never did try to conquer Adventure mode, but I figure I'll come back to it when I'm bored with my current roster of games and check it out again.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
**edit - they added multiple saves recently didn't they?

15 hours for day 60 seems low. It would take the average player a lot longer and several playthrough to get to day 60. Or I hope so since the alternative is that I just really sucked at this game.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just checked steam to make sure I wasn't lying to you. It says 24 hours but I left it up a lot while eating dinner, afking, and even over night once. My Day 60 playthrough was my 3rd or 4th world (I made it to day 4 or something first time, 14ish a couple times, then 60 over the course of a couple hours for a few days).

Basically, I learned that it's all about kiting and you can have whatever you want. I never got hit by tallbirds or beefalos (attack once for tallbird, run til he attacks, attack again, repeat until dead; beefalos you can get 2-3 hits off before you have to move). The hounds did extremely minimal damage with wood armor on, and I'd kite stuff to tentacles for an easy spiked club or whatever it's called. I never saw the point in walls other than trapping beefalo (use the beeflo horn to make them follow you until sunset, repeat until you've trapped them in your fence).

Anyway, I know these games are all about setting your own goals and quests and whatnot and that doesn't necessarily appeal to me. Even though I still had stuff I'd never made (like the shadow sword and armor) and enemies I hadn't yet slain (the deerclops and the walrus hunter guy), the gameplay wasn't compelling enough to make me want to stick around to try to do those things.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
They need to improve on the building before they mess with adventure more or other worlds like their dungeon layer. More incentive on building houses/bases would keep people playing longer than having another differently textured world to explore I think. Once you get the game's mechanics down it really just becomes a purposeless grind to build stuff that are not that useful and really don't look that great.

I sunk a lot more hours than that myself before I got good enough to pass day 60 though. I want to say 50 hours but I didn't have it on steam so I'm not certain. I think Don't Starve is one of the top game -in terms of straight gaming quality and bang for your buck- I've played this past year.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I agree. I went into a cave once, saw it was completely pitch black in there, left, and never went back in. I did see there were some items that required bunny fluffs or something (I assume there are bunny men down there that drop it), but as you mentioned, the items aren't necessarily that useful as to make gameplay more compelling.

I looked to see what their next update is going to be, but I don't see them promoting it anywhere. The announcement in-game says it's coming in 4 days. Maybe they're going to just finish the cave stuff they added last time.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone playing this? just picked it up was wondering what everyone else strat's are
Make your permanent campsite close to a Beefalo pasture but not directly in it or they will kill you come mating season (fun night time surprise that was). Also make sure you camp adjacent to 3-4 bunny holes and plant those traps at the edge of each hole for a steady meat supply (that way you don't need bait) you can also get between them and their hole for a manual kill when walking about. Past that make sure you get some warm clothes; Beefalo hat / that coat from the follow the footprints Koalaphant and build a lot of bee hives + fridges. Once you can do all of that you are pretty much set as far as starving / freezing goes.

My favorite thing to do was go crazy with monster meat and hunt shadows, there's a neat balance between farming reagents and getting so low on sanity that you get swarmed. I also went on walkabout every winter and lived off of bird/boomerang kills until I ran into the Deerclops so he wouldn't wreck my camp up
tongue.png
. Fun fight with boomerang / shadow sword.

That said I haven't played in a few months, if anythings changed feel free to pitch in.

Edit: Another thing to do if you get bored is spawn Krampus by being a dick and killing everything that moves and burning stuff down
smile.png
. Though he only cares about the animals.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
A lot has changed if you haven't played in a few months. All of the characters besides Wilson have been redesigned. In general they are a lot more interesting.

The same basic survival strat you outlined is still my general go to, but the heat stone made needing lots of warm clothes not really needed unless you want to explore during the winter. I'm not sure... warm clothes might not have had durability when you were playing last, but they do now. So wearing a beefalo hat in your base is a big waste now. Fridges require a gear now, so exploration prior to winter is much more important. Plus caves and adventure mode are in.

Amazing game overall. If you don't have it, you're missing out.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I definitely felt like I got my money's worth, but in general it's difficult for me to maintain interest in games where I have to make my own goals. Do you guys just aim to have the best, most upgraded equipment? Around day 5-10 the game no longer feels terribly challenging nor threatening to me and I lose interest quickly (the longest I went before rerolling the world [finding and combining all of the Things] was 70 something).

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I definitely felt like I got my money's worth, but in general it's difficult for me to maintain interest in games where I have to make my own goals. Do you guys just aim to have the best, most upgraded equipment? Around day 5-10 the game no longer feels terribly challenging nor threatening to me and I lose interest quickly (the longest I went before rerolling the world [finding and combining all of the Things] was 70 something).
A couple things:

- Dog attacks at day 70 are still pretty easy to deal with. They don't really ramp up until after day 100 or so. After a while you'll end up with 8-10 fire dogs at once.
- Using the teleportato to change worlds resets days, so you obviously won't have much threat in the beginning. Plus you bring stuff with you, so start up is much, much easier.
- So basically, you're leaving worlds before they get "hard" and starting a new one with a huge advantage. Of course it will be a bit boring.
- Try adventure mode/caves.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Got to day 148. Got everything I "need" up and running. Lots of farms in my base and all the resources for anything needed to survive. I placed everything without thinking long term and I want to build a nice base. So right now it would take a bunch of work to pull everything out and start over. I even built a pig village but it's all over the place. So I figured I played enough days to unlock everybody so I could move on to a fresh world with a Krampus backpack full of goodies and start fresh without the need to farm the early days stuff.

I need some ideas on two things.

1)what character should I play as? I think I like Wolfgang, The robot or Woodie. I have 10 gears ready to eat for the robot right away if I need to. Or 9 since I will probly build a fridge. Any thoughts?

2)What are the necessaries to bring with me to the new world? I think I have about 32 slots to fill. So far I have:

1.Berry Bush (x2 stacks)
2.Manure (x2 stacks)
3.Pig asses (1 stack of 40, maybe 2?)
4.all my nightmare fuel (1 stack of 15 right now)
5.Hound Teeth (1 stack + .5 stack)
6.Light bugs (1 stack)
7.Butterfly (.5 stack)
8.Beefalo horn (1 or 2, not terribly useful but a pain to get)
9.Gears (10 total, 1 stack)
10.Healing salves x40 (1 stack)
11.Bear hair (1 stack about)
12.Red gems, blue gems, purple gems for 3 stacks total
13.Flint? I have 3 stacks and it s not really renewable. Not sure how much I need though.
14.Stone - same as above?
15.Nitre - same as above?
16.Reeds x40 (1stack)

Plus tentacle spike and log armor in those specialty slots.

That's roughly a full inventory. Anything else that can be useful to transfer from one word to the next?

Shot of the map around my base cuz it's messeh!:
rrr_img_47211.jpg

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Don't forget gold and don't forget food. You don't want to show up with a perfect inventory and zero space for eating. Even picking up carrots to hold off starvation as you build is going to be a huge pain in the ass. You aren't going to find the perfect location for your new base right away either. I would also recommend researching every single thing if you haven't gotten to it just to have it all done.

Character choice isn't a big deal. I like Wendy personally because Abigail is great versus bees and bees suck the root. Honeycomb! You might want to bring some Honeycomb with you.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I'm planning on chopping some trees and making some chests right away. I don't think I need to bring food over. I can live off carrots until I find a decent place to live and when I do I will have 20-30 berry bushes with manure to plant.

Honeycomb is a very good call thanks for that.