DOOM

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
UC4 is above and beyond in terms of acting, quality, gameplay, atmosphere, graphical and sound presentation, etc. There is much more that goes into a game beside the gameplay element.
So you want to sit on your couch and watch a glorified CGI movie. You must love Metal Gear Solid games then. And you ban DooM people from saying "gunplay" and "controls" but you're using horribly generic words like "gameplay" and "quality" to describe a game where you're going waist-high room to next waist-high room. What is the great "atmosphere" you're talking about? The tunnel which was untouched for 2000 years until now it is overrun by generic guards? Thank god all those ruins fell around and they're around 3 feet high. I love fully immersive waist-high blocks littering the landscape!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's an FPS and you don't want him to talk about the controls or gunplay. Are you out of your mind?
Are you out of your mind that those two aspects in an FPSshould be fucking standard by now?

Holy shit I cannot believe I just read that.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ut: First of all the "challenges" aren't lazy, the upgrade system isn't lazy, the levels being designed with multiple paths isn't lazy, the story being there but not pushy and in your face (like Dark Souls) isn't lazy, ad nauseum.

Yes, it might not be god's next gaming gift to the world - but it's a refreshingly light jump in and kill shit simulator with some actual depth and meat there below the light surface.

There was a TON of ways they could've taken a much lazier route to doing the game, and frankly, it seems like they avoided the lazy route at every step they could. There's at least 8 glory kills I've seen thusfar for just the Possessed wimpy trash you start off fighting, and I'm pretty sure there's others I've not done yet - some of which are for incredibly rare situations like "they're stunned on a ledge above you for the Glory Kill" - I wouldn't have been bothered in the least if they just went with a generic "You're on X side" GK for that - but they didn't.

Hell, for being someone that never does FPS competitive MP (I do enjoy coop though), it's good enough it's making me actually consider giving it a shot down the road.

I can't see how this won't be a 7/8 out of 10 minimum by the time I'm slowing down on playing it. Considering I was mostly expecting a 4-5 out of 10 game that the wife would get some time out of as well, it's made my jaw drop at how good it is.

PS - Who really thought Doom 3 was that good? And FYI, the story elements seem pretty similar in detail and depth, just easier to ignore if you don't care about them in Doom (2016)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So you want to sit on your couch and watch a glorified CGI movie. You must love Metal Gear Solid games then. And you ban DooM people from saying "gunplay" and "controls" but you're using horribly generic words like "gameplay" and "quality" to describe a game where you're going waist-high room to next waist-high room. What is the great "atmosphere" you're talking about? The tunnel which was untouched for 2000 years until now it is overrun by generic guards? Thank god all those ruins fell around and they're around 3 feet high. I love fully immersive waist-high blocks littering the landscape!
Atmosphere is a culmination of good writing, good acting, solid and creative level design, presentation, humor, game play, cut scenes, plot, [all combined

UC4 is a culmination of effort. And everyone here, including your trolling ass, loves it. If you cannot distinguish between games that are well produced, and hack jawed level edits like this pile of garbage, I have a desk waiting for you over at EA Redmond. You'll fit right in.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What is so wrong about being excited by Brutal Doom with modern graphics?

I don't need every game to be a gigantic series of cinematic action pieces, sometimes I just want to rip demons faces off with my bare hands and see their HD textured giblets.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are you out of your mind that those two aspects in an FPSshould be fucking standard by now?

Holy shit I cannot believe I just read that.
Ok, good luck with your crusade man. I am not going to argue the importance gunplay and controls make in a FPS.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
PS - Who really thought Doom 3 was that good? And FYI, the story elements seem pretty similar in detail and depth, just easier to ignore if you don't care about them in Doom (2016)
From the looks of it, damn near everyone on the planet.

Doom 3 was a critical and commercial success for id Software; by the beginning of 2007, over 3.5 million copies of Doom 3 had been sold, making it the most successful project by id Software to date.[9]
I bet this pile of garbage doesn't break a fat Mil.

Tenks

Atmosphere is a culmination of good writing, good acting, solid and creative level design, presentation, humor, game play, cut scenes, plot, [all combined

UC4 is a culmination of effort. And everyone here, including your trolling ass, loves it. If you cannot distinguish between games that are well produced, and hack jawed level edits like this pile of garbage, I have a desk waiting for you over at EA Redmond. You'll fit right in.
I have a much simpler binary for if I like a game: is it fun? Uncharted games are not fun. They're tedious with poor controls, bad gunplay, bad AI and monotonous level design.

Tenks

Doom 3 was a critical and commercial success for id Software; by the beginning of 2007, over 3.5 million copies of Doom 3 had been sold, making it the most successful project by id Software to date.[9]
I'd be interested to know how many of those were actual "sales." I know when I worked at Best Buy any of the "gamer" computers came with Doom3 on it back when Doom3 was considered basically a benchmark game.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
From the looks of it, damn near everyone on the planet.
3.5-4.5 stars on Metacritic... Doom (2016) only has user reviews ATM but at 8.0 average which is the same as 4 star.

And mind you the sales were likely hugely bolstered by it being console as well as PC which the others only did far past their prime, no? Most of the time a "PC only" game turns "PC+Console" it's sales jump a ton, there's nothing new with that.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
3.5-4.5 stars on Metacritic... Doom (2016) only has user reviews ATM but at 8.0 average which is the same as 4 star.

And mind you the sales were likely hugely bolstered by it being console as well as PC which the others only did far past their prime, no? Most of the time a "PC only" game turns "PC+Console" it's sales jump a ton, there's nothing new with that.
Let's revisit that gamer score in metacritic in a week. After the paid for virals are done trying to over bloat the score for the two week launch window. Metacritic is the bastion of viral paid for BS for all third party video game marketing firms. I know you know that. Two weeks it's below a 6. Bet? If it's below a 6, you buy me any game on steam. If it's above a six, I'll buy you one. I know you aren't bleeding cash so let's top it at 60.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I have a much simpler binary for if I like a game: is it fun? Uncharted games are not fun. They're tedious with poor controls, bad gunplay, bad AI and monotonous level design.
Dude you better watch yourself. You are going to piss off Noodlemods wife.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I never found Uncharted games awesome, but I'd put them in solid, fun games category. TLOU was trash though.

And I almost want to take you up on that bet. I really can't see this being below a 6