DOOM

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is polygon using keyboard look? I mean that's what it looks like they were doing. There's no way someone is that bad with a mouse.

Never mind I watched full screen and see they are on ps4
Their quality of play looks almost like I'd expect a "Twitch Plays Doom" to go.... lol

Jait

Molten Core Raider
To be fair that's what most console FPS videos look like to me.
Yep. Console gamers come in two types.

rrr_img_133875.jpg
rrr_img_133876.jpg

And neither of them post on these boards for me to yell at. Just the Hybrids who stop playing their console long enough to post from their computer or phone.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Honestly nothing would surprise me anymore. With the amount of shit poured into this industry, people get shooting mechanics they always should have had and grasp onto it like the second coming of Christ. Look at destiny. This game has jack shit aside from the name. Period. Let's all go play pacman folks. I hear that yellow fucker responds to controls in less than .00000001 nanoseconds.

Noodle start thinking about your game you want. I overestimated society.

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe where they have actual effort and common sense during production, Doom is a 1/10 and the developers and producer are all fired for incompetence. A universe where we see games like witcher 3, TLOU, and uncharted 4, everyday. And instead of those being the outliers, the bad games are the outliers.

People always wonder why we can't have more of that. This is why you dumb fucks.
Here's the thing with doom. I'm only probably halfway through the campaign so I don't know how it ends or anything. As far as storytelling goes there's very little; you're chasing a doctor that opened up some hell rift or something. Doom101 right there, nothing more. So it's not an amazing story but it fits right in with previous games.

Level design visually is top notch. The Mars base you're on looks exactly how you'd expect and SPOILER ALERT when you go to hell it looks amazing. They really nailed the graphics, the visuals as a whole and the atmosphere.

Game play is spot on. I was really worried about the fatalities but they feel "right", they're quick, devastating and provide you a bonus of ammo and health so you actually do want to do them. Think of it like staggering an enemy in dark souls and doing a riposte except it always kills them. The guns feel right too, I typically use them all with the exception of the pistol. I know you said gunplay should be standard but let's face it it isn't. In this game the gunplay feels good. Also each weapon has attachments you can level up for added effects, so there is a bit of variety on how you play.

The game is exactly what the first doom was: nonstop action. No real story you just know you need to get to the end. It plays fast, fluid, and it feels "right" as far as shooters go.

when you first get to hell it is absolutely mind blowing and you feel like you're truly fighting a horde of demons

All that said I'd probably give it a 7.5/10. Is it a cinematic masterpiece? No. But it is a solid game that is very fun to play and after all what I look for in a game is how fun it is. This delivers on what it promises and nothing more.

BTW if I win, and I intend to fully wait until the 27th becausr who knows how this goes, I still want you to pick for me. I actually do value your opinion on games, but I do love to give you a hard time even more.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Which is considerably high for IGN considering they didn't get a pre-release copy (nobody did) or a check for dat 10/10.

I do think the Campaign is worth of 10/10 for gameplay, however the entire package of the game including the modding tools and the multiplayer.. honestly I'd probably only give it a 7 as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I did appreciate one reviewer saying they flew to new Zealand to play the game and instantly flew home to write the review

Vorph

A round trip plane ticket instead of a VPN, are they retarded? Plus that sounds like the most rushed review possible, so I'd take anything it said with about a ton of salt.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
This game is reminding me how I'm getting older and don't quite have the same reflexes I used to.
Overwatch beta did that to me. "Random brawl...one of the snipers? Okay this should be fine. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Fucking arseholes. Bollocks. Dead and respawning as...Junkrat. Thank fuck".

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Single player so far is very awesome and has that Doom vibe. The world is breathtaking. I love that there is barely any cut scenes and they are telling the story through the gameplay. Great stuff!

My main gripes are that it uses checkpoints instead of save anywhere(checkpoints are one of the worst game mechanics in FPS's) and ammo being so scare. Having so little ammo for the fun weapons just isn't as fun.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Single player so far is very awesome and has that Doom vibe. The world is breathtaking. I love that there is barely any cut scenes and they are telling the story through the gameplay. Great stuff!
Is this the general consensus? I am probably going to pick this up and it would likely be just for the single player content.

The best part about this forum is you're all (mostly) old fucks like myself and we're generally of the same opinion game play mechanics.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it's worth it for the single player. It's probably realistically about as close to the old DOOM feel you'll ever get in the 21st century. I could do without glory kills, and the encounter, nothing, encounter, nothing formula is a bit... well, 21st century, but other than that it's top notch. The checkpoint thing feeds into my encounter, nothing, rinse repeat gripe. Basically if you want to save, you have to go find the next encounter and complete it.

I'm mid level 3, and I keep finding these items that are a set of 3 canisters. I've never been able to pick one up, and it's not telling me "MAX" anything when I run over it. Have I missed a weapon already or something?

Vaclav

The first weapon that uses that ammo type is the Plasma Gun

Earliest you can find one in Mid Level 2 in a hidden spot I believe.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Is it possible to get it by level 2? Otherwise wtf is it doing there?

Also, re: co-op. I'm too lazy to go fishing for it, but I swear I saw someone commenting in here they were drunkenly playing this game co-op with a friend a few days ago, and steam mentions co-op. What exactly is DOOM's co-op?