DOOM

xzi

Mouthbreather
DOOMs "co-op" is the snapmap. It's *technically* co-op, as you can build custom games to play with friends (or download someone elses maps to play). But you can't play the campaign co-op.

Side-note: the snapmap runs off of the multiplayer engine rather than the single player so the mechanics feel very slightly off as well.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not an expert in the video game industry, obviously, but WTF is the point of two different studios making two parts of the same game? Clearly one is great and the other is mediocre. Why not make the whole game great?

I dunno, maybe we should just be thankful we have 2/3's of a fun title? Are we at that point where we resign ourselves to "good enough"?

Fadaar

That guy
Multiplayer was made by a different studio (Certain Affinity) who is responsible for most or all of the recent Halo multiplayer, so there's your answer on that unfortunately.
Jesus fucking christ that explains everything

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm not an expert in the video game industry, obviously, but WTF is the point of two different studios making two parts of the same game? Clearly one is great and the other is mediocre. Why not make the whole game great?

I dunno, maybe we should just be thankful we have 2/3's of a fun title? Are we at that point where we resign ourselves to "good enough"?
The reason the half that is good is good is because that team wasn't hampered by having to build a competent multiplayer game simultaneously with their competent single player game.

xzi

Mouthbreather

I'm going to do the fun thing and completely blame console players. The MP version of the game is 100% designed for console - including their modding tools. It's hindering us completely and it's stupid.

I only say that because Certain Affinity have only developed games so far on the 360 and occasionally a PS3. I think they just wanted that extra bit of audience and outsourced the work to people that have maintained that audience over the last few years. Which is an absolute shame.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm going to do the fun thing and completely blame console players. The MP version of the game is 100% designed for console - including their modding tools. It's hindering us completely and it's stupid.

I only say that because Certain Affinity have only developed games so far on the 360 and occasionally a PS3. I think they just wanted that extra bit of audience and outsourced the work to people that have maintained that audience over the last few years. Which is an absolute shame.
While it is indeed fun to look down at the filthy console gamers.....

....I had something else about the topic at hand, but...nope. Just going to stop right there and blame consoles.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
On the other hand, if they cut MP completely, people would bitch and moan that the game that came up with deathmatch doesn't have it. At best we can hope for a lightbulb to go off in somebody who's higher up at Bethesda and either patch that shit or change Snapmap to use SP engine and turn a decent title into something that sticks around for a while.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's really unsettling is the beta was just the MP which wasn't even created by the same studio. What kind of stupid bullshit is that?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
What's really unsettling is the beta was just the MP which wasn't even created by the same studio. What kind of stupid bullshit is that?
Probably easier to slice out the MP to give people a taste than to make essentially a demo and since the MP beta was advertised years in advance, I'm fairly confident the actual quality of those parts never played a role.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Why would you use the double barreled shotgun over exploding pump shotgun? I haven't upgraded the double at all but I just don't see the need to use it.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why would you use the double barreled shotgun over exploding pump shotgun? I haven't upgraded the double at all but I just don't see the need to use it.
In SP I prefer double because I'm pimping out my utilities before the Explosive resistance suit and the DB hits like a Mack truck up close w/o the chance of low health gibbing yourself. I use both a lot switching to rifle for long range head shots.

spronk

FPS noob
man I never realized how many big tittied russian speaking streamers there were until i browsed the Doom streams today morning. They all look like anime dolls too, its pretty weird/cool

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I built this fucking house.
Just catching up on this thread but this one really made me groan. I don't know what it is, off your meds or what, but sometimes you go off on these rambling posts filled with delusions of grandeur. You did not build this house. It would go on without you. You are a prolific/popular contributor but it's not like the Other Games forum died off when Sean went away.

This house seems to really enjoy the game, in any case. I guess they are "a bunch of punched up gamespot faggots"?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This house seems to really enjoy the game, in any case. I guess they are "a bunch of punched up gamespot faggots"?
You realize that entire context was to iterate that 14 million shipped on store shelves for battlefront does not equal sold through numbers. And that remark is to commend people here for knowing the difference even though some pussy named Raftermann spews the investor line EA uses to play it's games in quarterly reports. Which is why you won't EVER see a sell through number. Because it isn't even half that. And they know it. Keep my quotes in context.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You realize that entire context was to iterate that 14 million shipped on store shelves for battlefront does not equal sold through numbers. And that remark is to commend people here for knowing the difference even though some pussy named Raftermann spews the investor line EA uses to play it's games in quarterly reports. Which is why you won't EVER see a sell through number. Because it isn't even half that. And they know it. Keep my quotes in context.
9.4 million unique users for online Battlefront in Q4 does seem to imply a large portion was sold through - hard to get so many unique users without sellthrough.

Not to mention even Motley Fool and others believes something close to the quote is accurate..How Is Electronic Arts' "Star Wars: Battlefront" Selling? -- The Motley Fool

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You are confusing beta with release.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/batt...ttlefront-beta

You also have the watch the wording carefully. As of Q4 fiscal end, they had 9.6 million unique users. That's not a net new. It's a rolling cumulative of which they included the beta. Smoke and mirrors my friend. Smoke and mirrors. My logical guess / estimate is that there are possibly 7-8 million sold through. Which is why they aren't releasing sell through and only shipped. It's way below their sales forecast.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
...endless stream of bullshit and verbal diarrhea (as usual)
Seriously. Do you ever just shut the fuck up or admit when you are wrong? Quit being a little bitch and just take your L...again.

Battlefront sold great, regardless of whether or not it was a good game. EA is fucking rolling in money and they've already announced it's fucking sequel because of how well it did. Doom is going to far outsell your predictions from when you went off on, yet another, idiotic rant. Its also far exceeded your claim of it being a 6 on metacritic, and all you can do is bitch and moan about how you expected more of others. How's about expecting more from yourself? Did you ever fucking stop to think that it's completely possible for people to like games like Uncharted and the Witcher and still like games like Doom? All your whining and posturing is absurd and yet you do it over and over again like it's going to sway anyone when you throw these tantrums. Could you imagine how shitty this board would be if everyone who ever disliked a game went off about them like you do?

You're a fucking joke, and the only reason why you don't know it is because these people have known you for so long and they aren't going to tell you. All this "You're in my world now" and "I built this place" bullshit is laughable and just screams of being a giant loser.

Doom is great, you don't own shit little girl.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know a way to disable the splash screens on startup? Can't seem to find any obvious config files. God I fucking hate mandatory splash screens.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Add to your shortcut:

?+com_skipIntroVideo 1? to skip intro videos
?+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1? unlocks Nightmare difficulty
?+set m_smooth 0? turns off mouse smoothing
?+com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1? automatically skips loading screens after they're done loading

add them without quotes to your Launch Options